Hello Everyone,

Was sitting around with some of my colleagues the other day and got onto this topic. We teach a patrol rifle/shotgun class, and the shotgun portion just keeps shrinking. One of my buddies asked "so what exactly does a shotgun do that a rifle can't do better, at longer range, with more ammo, less recoil...".

This got me thinking about the use of shotguns, why we train with them, and what role they play in the tool box. For the purposes of the converstion, lets stipulte that they are good for 'less lethal" and breaching. I'm more interested in them as a fighting tool.

Here is what I see as pros:
1) lethality - within its given range, buckshot is very effective. Slugs as well.
2) intimidation - the local knuckle heads are scared of shotguns. I understand that the folks in the sandbox have had similar experience. Most folks that get an 870 pointed at them comply pretty quickly.
3) Efficacy - while its crap to say "you don't even have to aim with a shotgun - just point it", they do offer a margin of error that pistols don't.

Cons:
1) recoil - tougher for smaller framed people
2) capacity - low capacity and hard to reload quickly
3) limited range - compared to other long guns
4) Over penetation - ever see a slug go through a trailor... they go on for ever...

So given the pros and cons and the finite training dollars and equipment dollars, what role does the venerable 12 gauge play in the tool box? This is how I come down: They are everywhere. Citizens have them in closets all over the country. The are in beat cars everywhere. They offer a temenedous short range punch and a deterrant value. We should train with them, know their limitations, and use them as appropriate. My good friend and colleague says " nothing a shotgun offers that an ar15 doesn't. ARs are more versatile, more accurate, easier to keep running, easier to train with, are suitable for nearly all body types... Shotguns should go the way of the 686 as a primary duty/fighting tool.

So what say you all. Genuinely interested in your opinions.