Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ? on Vang Barrels

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

? on Vang Barrels

Currently have a "stock" 12ga. 20" Express Deer Barrel w/Rifle sights on my 870. Reading this forum there are many positive postings about the Vang Barrels & modifications to ones existing barrel.

Porting etc. by Vang on my 20" barrel is $200. They have a 18" beaded sight barrel for $220.

Heading off this fall to a Shotgun SelfDefense training that has the following intro to their course:

This course addresses the safe and effective employment of the defensive shotgun. Topics include: defensive mindset, safety, handling, gauges, action types, sighting systems, loading, unloading, reloading, select loading, patterning, slug zero, carry methods, ready positions, cover and concealment, and tactics. Shooting is conducted from 1 to 100 yards and scenarios utilizing outdoor simulators are extensively used.

A 12 or 20 gauge short barreled, repeater with rifle or ghost ring sights is ideal, but any shotgun capable of multiple shots will suffice. A butt cuff or side-saddle ammunition carrier is suggested as spare ammunition on the gun is very helpful. A carry strap on the shotgun is also desirable. Required ammunition are 75 rounds of #5 shot or larger and 50 rounds of slugs.

My question, based on the above would I be better off purchasing Vang's 18" barrel or getting their modifications to my 20" barrel? Also would a beaded sight be effective out too 100 yards?

Thanks
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 07-26-10 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Depends on how many rounds you want to run. 20 is short-ish, its not like you are starting out with a 28 inch barrel. With a 20 you can run a +3 shot magazine extension, 18 you can only run a +2.

This gun came with a 26 and I run for trap/skeet, but this 18 for 3gun stuff, and home defense. If I had it to do again I would have bought a 20 inch for the extra round.

it was wearing the 26 here, thats a 3 round its exactly the same part as would be on an 870 (even though its on an 11-87) and about where a 20inch would end.

same gun with an 18.5 I hadn't swapped out the extension yet but now i has a +2 because it looked dumb with the +3

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    just caught part 2 of that..... a beaded sight wont do ya much good unless you practice your ass of at 100 yards. Those shots can be made but its tough.

Feedback Score
    platoondaddy check your pm's

Feedback Score
    If your worried about slugs at 100. I'd save my money for more slugs to practice with and stick with the 20" Rifle sight barrel without the Vang work.

A Vang Backbore Job is more about shrinking your 00 Pattern at 20 than improving slug accuracy at 100.

If you just want porting. A Porting jig can either be made from scratch daily easily or can be ordered from Brownells. Then all you needs a drill and a wood dowel and you can port every shotgun you buy for the rest of your life.

Unless you just really have to have a prestigious Han's Vang to go with your wifes Vera Wang.

Don't worry...Your plain old factory Remmy Barrel is quite capable of hitting minute of man at unrealistic, snake oil shotgun training course ranges out to 100. Any course that spends more than half an hour on shotguns past 50 is selling tan hats with a tacticool logo. Not preparing you for real world shotgun employment.
    Last edited by DarwinsLilHelper; 07-26-10 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    I'd have them do the job on your existing barrel. You'll be well served with sights of some type. I've had an 1100 done and my partner has an 870. The shot pattern on the 870 was basically a door knob at 7 yards, the 1100 was a bit bigger. Both threw usable patterns out beyond 25 yards with no doughnutting. I went with a ghost ring and tritium front.

I wish he'd dothem on saiga's...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What choke is the rifle sight barrel?

Just today, I ordered an 18" Rifle sight, Improved cylinder choked factory police barrel, to replace the bead sight on it now. Mostly for the sights. But, upon inspection of my current barrel, it is choked Modified. Go figure, its not listed in the catalog, except as a special order.

This all started with a team mate asking about upgrading his long barreled express to an HD type gun. So of course I started digging thru boxes at home to find slings, sidesaddles, etc. And doing some research on the net.

I'm not a "gauge" guy, I have carried them on duty, and have some training with them, so I've been putting off getting ghost rings, and some other work done to my shotgun.
    I came across a factory rifle sighted 18" barrel with tritium, modified choke, for a good price. Figured this was a good way into sights on the gun, and tighter patterns. After some research, it seems the general consensus is, slugs are OK in a modified choke(actually up to full) but generally get the best accuracy from cylinder and IC.

What Vang(and others) do, is back-bore a cylinder bore shotgun, creating a choke, if you already have some choke like IC, I suspect it will make it, in effect a tighter choke.

So, basically you need to see how your current barrel patterns with your chosen load of 00buck. Many think, Federal's Flight control, just about eliminates the need for the "Vang" treatment. Also, see how it shoots your chosen slug load.
    Being shotguns, its hard to say what will shoot tightest and most accurate out of your individual barrel.

It sounds like this is a short course, 125 rounds. I would not go all out on any changes to your gun just yet.
    Your current barrel will most likely be fine, and may not ever need to be upgraded. Since you already have sights, I'd be more worried about a sling and a light. But, if you do need a 18" barrel and other shotgun accessories, hit me up

Darwin,
    I'm confused, are you saying it's not realistic to train to hit targets at 100mtrs with a shotgun loaded with slugs?

As stated, I'm not a gauge guy, but I have trained at times to shoot them at 100mtrs. In part, the adversary will determine the range at which you will need to engage him, not what you are armed with. If I can make my shotgun, shoot buck tighter at farther ranges, and slugs more accurately, and gain some range, I'm all for it. But, I also believed in qualifying at 50mtrs with a pistol.
    So you see why a prefer an M4 type over a shotgun, to begin with.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I had a Remington 870 a few years back that Hans did work on. The groups for buckshot and slugs changed dramatically for the better.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Shooting a shotgun at 75 to 100 yards (and beyond) has definite benefits. It shows the shooter that the shotgun with slugs is very capable at those distances. It is also one of the easist ways for a shooter to identify any unwanted movement they are introducing on the weapon during the final phase of their trigger press as well as any flaws in their sight picture through target analysis. Shooting at distance with a shotgun (or handgun) is the easiest way to identify flaws in a shooters technique that are not always as readily apparent at closer distances.

Distance magnifies the results of a shooters actions and/or lack of correct sight picture. Once these things are sorted out it is a great confidence builder and provides stress innoculation. For many the biggest hurdle of distance shooting is overcoming any preconceived ideas and coming to the realization that the weapon is capable as long as the shooter does their part. Beyond that it is a fun, challenging training block that, time permitting, should be part of any training course. On our own we tend to practice what we are already good at because it provides instant gratification. For most of us, unless we are pushed past our comfort zone, we will avoid what is difficult.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not to hijack my own thread, the question is still about van comp barrels. :-)

Vang Comp is selling a 11-87 Police Magnum with the following disclaimer.

my question: If you send in your barrel for the port & lengthening of the forcing cone, are you also restricted from shooting high brass birdshot? Or am I confusing the meaning of birdshot?

Disclaimer:
    We at Vang Comp Systems do not take responsibility for the malfunction of this firearm when using improper ammunition. This firearm is only intended to be used with PREMIUM HIGH BASE AMMUNITION. Any use of bird shot, and or low base ammunition will void any and all responsibility for the function of this firearm.
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 07-28-10 at 09:34.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast