I didn’t know what this stuff was called when i ordered a chunk off Amazon for @ $14 delivered, but as near as I can tell it is
silicone/fiberglass sleeve.
So far it is not pretty, but it is cheap, doesn’t weigh much, stretches, and it seems to work fairly well.
You can feel heat through it(upper end of what i could stand to hang on to for several seconds), but neither me, the paracord cinching, or the fiberglass inner has been damaged.
I’ll try to remember to take a thermometer along to get something more solid than “kinda feels like”, but so far this seems promising.
I just avoid shooting suppressed as much as possible. I’m taking my YHM R9 every weekend and have set up my A2 flash hiders for low torque removal so I can add the can if peer pressure calls for it.
I think suppressed rimfire is almost entirely a positive since there’s not much weight added, probably increases reliability, no 3rd degree burn risk without trying, and even fairly cheap models still work fairly well.
I lean towards centerfire rifle usually being more beneficial than not if the can weight/length is kept down so it doesn’t really screw up the handling. I think being able to mitigate gas to the face is a must on being able to enjoy a suppresed AR.
I’m still on the fence on ever getting a centerfire pistol suppressor. This guy goes in to more detail, but his point about not really being able to use it as a pistol due to the holster issue is a big catch to me.
Nothing earth shattering, but the low cost/weight/bulk appears to be a good deal to reduce the chance of incidental contact causing a burn.
10rds dump then about 30 seconds to let the wrap heat up, slid the wrap forward to measure metal, slid it back to warm up again, and wrap measured 2 to 3 minutes after firing.
I’m surprised at how many guys on Glocktalk and other forums recommend a rimfire can to suppressor new guys. The baffle gunk and lack of actual power in the rimfire round are deal breakers. We have them and have shot them, but in the end it’s just dickin around.
To me, why suppress something you wouldn’t fight with?
Cheap practice, small game hunting, and things like that.
It also gets multiple shots truly hearing safe.
The crud build up is a pain. If the BS regulation ever completely ends, a low cost 3D printed rimfire can that lasts a few thousand rounds before tossing would be nice.
9mm sub sonic is my favorite because it mimics a real caliber in all of it’s gutless glory. I lost interest in rimfire years ago when people were hoarding it for God knows what reason.
I agree though. You should be able to buy a $50 disposable rimfire can each year.
More pleasant range experience with newbies or kids indoors or out. I suppress my 10/22’s or other 22 rifles and just got a 22/45 with a dot, I’ll do the same.
9mm and up pistol I almost never shoot suppressed, but all my long guns or PCC are always suppressed.
Really though a 10/22 with subsonic ammo is barely louder than suppressed. For newbies and kids, I honestly like a little bark because to kids a super quiet firearm can seem like there’s no danger. Not ALL kids, but a suppressed rimfire can seem like a toy or paintball gun because it’s so quiet.