Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SBR your Noveske rifle w/o engraving

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

SBR your Noveske rifle w/o engraving

I thought some of you might be interested in turning your Noveske or DD rifle lower into a factory registered SBR. You would loose the use of your lower while you waited for your form 4 to be approved. This is a cool way to SBR your lower with out engraving it. I've exchanged emails with DD and was told they will offer the same service. Here it is from Todd at Noveske:

Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The ATF has clarified the fact a lower does not meet the definition of an SBR so I'd agree there.

We are going to promote the fact we will build and register an SBR with a customer's Noveske lower when they buy a short upper. We will probably have something up on the website early next year. Spread the word if you want, the paperwork is a bit of extra work but we decided to do this as a way to thank our customers and provide a service that is pretty rare but very cool.
    Todd how long does it take for you the manufacturer to SBR the lower? I assume you SBR it then in my case it is transferred to my VT Class III dealer and then I send my form 4 in when my local dealer gets the complete gun in.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 02-20-11 at 19:24. Reason: DD is not offering the SBR service so I dropped DD from the title
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Am I missing something here? Why not buy the lower, use it on whatever 16" guns you may have, send in paperwork and once it comes back you can put whatever SBR upper you buy on it? Saves one transfer. Or does Todd not have to pay the first transfer to your dealer if it's factory SBR'd?

The engraving is probably the easiest part of the whole process. Well, if you have an engraver available, I guess. I took my stripped lower into a jeweler and he did it while I browsed bracelets for my wife. Trust me, the $250 I spent on the bracelet for my wife seems a mere pittance when teamed up with my next request to buy another rifle. Now I've got her thinking that new rifles means new jewelery for her. Not a bad trade, all in all.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Am I missing something here? Why not buy the lower, use it on whatever 16" guns you may have, send in paperwork and once it comes back you can put whatever SBR upper you buy on it? Saves one transfer. Or does Todd not have to pay the first transfer to your dealer if it's factory SBR'd?

The engraving is probably the easiest part of the whole process. Well, if you have an engraver available, I guess. I took my stripped lower into a jeweler and he did it while I browsed bracelets for my wife. Trust me, the $250 I spent on the bracelet for my wife seems a mere pittance when teamed up with my next request to buy another rifle. Now I've got her thinking that new rifles means new jewelery for her. Not a bad trade, all in all.
    I'm not a big fan of engraving a brand new gun just to comply with some silly ATF requirements which make no sense. It also makes an SBR a little difficult to resell with your name and city engraved on it, if the need should arise.

I recently bought a Noveske, and a part of the decision was that they were going to offer this service in the near future. I absolutely plan on doing this. From other posts from Todd, I believe it also means that once it is done at Noveske they will be able to ship it directly back to you, since you already own the gun--but I might have misunderstood something or got it mixed up, it's been a while since I read that. This would be even better for me, since the nearest FFL which can handle SBRs and the like is over an hour away. At any rate, I think it's an excellent service and am grateful Noveske decided to step up and offer it.
    Last edited by stifled; 12-21-10 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Precisely why I asked if I was missing something. Never even considered selling a lower. Like with many of my SBR's, they're pretty much sticking around with me thru thick and thin till the end.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Precisely why I asked if I was missing something. Never even considered selling a lower. Like with many of my SBR's, they're pretty much sticking around with me thru thick and thin till the end.

Yep, me too! But, I have come across a handful of people in my area that felt "weird" having their name and city and state engraved on their lower... Didn't really want to get more detail from them, because I didn't know them at all, other than seeing them at the range. But, I thought, "why is that weird, to me it adds a 'personal touch', like it's MY rifle"

But to each his/her own. If you'd rather not have an engraved lower, because you know down the road you are going to sell it, then this is the route to go... But to me, if you are going to go through all that paper work and pay the tax stamp, then you should already be married to the fact that it should be yours forever!

Good for Noveske and DD though!
    Professionalism, it goes a long way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Because the customer owns the lower the SBR transfers directly back on a Form 4. I did mention it was pretty cool, right?

You send in your complete Noveske lower. We build, test fire, and register the SBR. You get the forms to sign, CLEO sig, finger print cards, etc. Send that back when complete with check/MO for the tax and we submit it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This sounds like a great deal. So if I don't currently own a Noveske lower, I could buy one from you have it sent to my FFL, take possession ship it back to you and you guys then add a shorty upper and SBR it and once my form 4 clears I get it back?

Just thinking of the extra step if I don't currently have a Noveske lower.

Thanks,
    Cameron

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Because the customer owns the lower the SBR transfers directly back on a Form 4. I did mention it was pretty cool, right?

You send in your complete Noveske lower. We build, test fire, and register the SBR. You get the forms to sign, CLEO sig, finger print cards, etc. Send that back when complete with check/MO for the tax and we submit it.
    Todd

That is freaking awesome saves me a two hour round trip and $50 transfer fee! fee.

A factory SBR makes it easier for my kids/estate to sell if they want to. I don't plan to sell but things happen. I just finished chemo this summer for my second round with leukemia. First time was 2002. My port came out last week.

It is not for everyone but I am in.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    This sounds like a great deal. So if I don't currently own a Noveske lower, I could buy one from you have it sent to my FFL, take possession ship it back to you and you guys then add a shorty upper and SBR it and once my form 4 clears I get it back?
    Yes, any Noveske lower you own can be sent in with a short upper purchase and transfer directly back on a Form 4.

If you can get your lower engraved local/cheap and the markings don't bother you rock on, this factory SBR is a great option for those that have to send the lower out, are picky about the finish, or don't want their name on the rifle.
    Last edited by Todd.K; 12-21-10 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Once you build the rifle, does it not have to be shipped to a class III dealer in your state so the 4473 form can be filled out on the sbr or is it already done because you already bought the lower and sent it to you to build????

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast