Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Form 1 (SBR) Engraving Requirements

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I could also see a day when things are further restricted and having been too young to buy machine guns when they were affordable I would like to buy SBRs now.
    Hear, hear. We live, and [just sometimes] we learn. Aptly put.

AC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I bought a complete lower this way and was interested in buying a stripped DD SBR lower to just put away for now. It turns out the deal never happened. This is when I reached out to DD and found out they would do it if I bought an SBR upper from them and they attached it to their lower. Im not sure we will see SBR lowers sold anymore.
    The ATF has clarified the fact a lower does not meet the definition of an SBR so I'd agree there.

We are going to promote the fact we will build and register an SBR with a customer's Noveske lower when they buy a short upper. We will probably have something up on the website early next year. Spread the word if you want, the paperwork is a bit of extra work but we decided to do this as a way to thank our customers and provide a service that is pretty rare but very cool.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Todd

That is great news and an excellent example of a business going the extra mile for their customers!

Thanks for the heads up.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The ATF has clarified the fact a lower does not meet the definition of an SBR so I'd agree there.

We are going to promote the fact we will build and register an SBR with a customer's Noveske lower when they buy a short upper. We will probably have something up on the website early next year. Spread the word if you want, the paperwork is a bit of extra work but we decided to do this as a way to thank our customers and provide a service that is pretty rare but very cool.
    Here is a new thread to spread the good word:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=852070#post852070

Just want to point out I don't own a Noveske or DD but they're on my short list.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry for bumping this thread but AC's questions regarding the engraving of SBR barrels closely mirrors mine and thus saved me a ton of typing.

I would like to engrave the "other" information on either the barrel or upper receiver with the required trust name and location. I've seen it posted many times that if an individual were to engrave on the uppers, then any & all uppers would have to be engraved; not just the SBR uppers. Could someone clarify that for me? My thought would be that it would only need to be on the SBR uppers since, when that particular upper is removed, it no longer meets the requirements for an SBR rifle. Why then, would any uppers with 16"+ barrels also need to be engraved?
    Also, for clarification, I have several ARs and some will be SBR'd on F1's and others will not.
    My goal is to keep the SBR lowers clean & free from engravings. (Why? Because that's my preference.)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Short uppers only. It's not an NFA weapon when it's not configured that way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    Short uppers only. It's not an NFA weapon when it's not configured that way.
    That was my thought. Thanks for clarifying BigWaylon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    That was my thought. Thanks for clarifying BigWaylon.
    That's purely my opinion, but I haven't seen a statute that would lead me to believe otherwise.

ETA: to be clear, that's "my opinion" in regards to the engraving question...ATF has clearly stated the gun can be reconfigured (for reselling, hunting, interstate transport, etc) and is not under the purview of the NFA regs, so that's not in question
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 01-09-15 at 11:07.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ATF states that on their NFA FAQ. If a weapon doesn't have a barrel shorter than 16 inches, it is not under their purview regardless of how the receiver is "registered" with the NFA Branch. 16 + inch uppers would not need to be engraved.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    ATF states that on their NFA FAQ. If a weapon doesn't have a barrel shorter than 16 inches, it is not under their purview regardless of how the receiver is "registered" with the NFA Branch. 16 + inch uppers would not need to be engraved.
    SCOTUS states that too, so I think it is a safe bet.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast