Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using "cover" during training

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Using "cover" during training

Running malfunction drills or reloads, some instructors stress the fact that they want you to move to / utilize "cover" on a flat range when there is no real cover. E.g. take a step to the side or duck down behind an imaginary wall. I've also seen this in some training videos aswell.

I'm debating this with myself: One one hand I totally get what they're after but on the other hand when there is no cover to get behind I think the whole thing becomes a bit silly since all it accomplishes is getting guys and gals to step/duck/prone/whatever during weapons manipulation. That's not utilizing cover. My theory ons this is that if there is no cover avaible don't pretend there is. If it goes down for real people will be looking for cover anyway. But if you have a wooden barricade/wall then by all means make sure it's being used.

Obviously there is a lot of knowledge on this forum so I just wanted your take on this guys.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In my opinion, it's pretty much mental masturbation.

The theory, as I understand it, is to ingrain the concept of using cover, but I think it quickly becomes little more than a party trick... like how most people "scan" before they reholster.

Frequently people look, but don't "see" what's around them when they scan, and it's just another step in their automated reholstering procedure. Using cover, taking a knee, etc. that's being preached as mandatory just becomes the same thing in my opinion.

People are either going to use their brain or they're not.
    What looks like cover might not be, what is cover to handguns isn't to rifles, what might be cover from rifles might not be cover if you face multiple shooters from different angles, etc. There is no way to turn your brain off and auto-pilot into the correct action to take.

If you're brain isn't working well enough to address the above concerns (and more!) to actually seek out real effective cover on your own, I doubt that step you always took in your practice sessions is going to change the outcome much.

Just my .02$, as a civy who hasn't ever been shot at.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think it depends on what type of training you're doing, and what your expected end use of this training is.

From a defensive pistol/rifle mindset, I think there's merit to reinforcing movement to cover or movement off-line for drawing, reloading, transitioning, post-shooting, and malfunctions.
    However, one has to keep it in perspective. There may be times where one won't be able to, or want to, step off-line or towards cover. If I'm working in a stack, on the side of a busy street, have compatriots on my flanks, or I'm shielding a loved one(until we can move), I may not want to side-step or kneel or whatever, even if it means getting to cover. Range to threat is also a factor.

The key is to not go overboard. Sometimes this mindset devolves into range-kata. Get the concept and mindset ingrained, work it through various drills, but depending on what your training focus is at that particular moment, cover and movement don't need to be a part of every single rep.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I totally get what youre saying. I agree, dont duck and "Cover" behind something thats not there.

I use cover in my training when I reload etc.

We try and use a target stand or SOMETHING for cover, even if its plywood so youre not using "Imaginary" cover.

I have seen first hand how training and repetitiveness comes to life in real world
    Last edited by BCmJUnKie; 07-06-12 at 11:03.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If we are conducting training that utilizes cover/barricades, I guide shooters to utilize what they have at their disposal.

Some stoppages are easier to clear from a kneeling/squatting. I see no real advantage in standing up to clear a double feed or brass over bolt stoppage.

When it comes to light use and pistol draws there are very good reasons to step off line, but that has to be balanced against repetition and safety on the line. I don't want to simply watch an awkward line dance, and I don't want to spend time on a skill that a student can easily do at home. I want to shoot, and I want to be able to take the time available in two day to help the students realize their shooting goals.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I can understand they are trying to teach the students not to stay in one spot without cover during a reload, but 50 gallon barrels are cheap.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are we talking about something literally and wholly imaginary, or a barricade that probably wouldn't stop bullets "in the real world"?

As F2S said, even if the former there is no benefit to standing there as a bullet magnet with a gun that doesn't work in your hands. Depending on the situation it may be best to haul ass entirely!

You're standing in the middle of a field engaging targets at 5 yards and the carbine stops working. What "real world" solution would you like to see?

For me, the purpose of asking people to do things like take imaginary cover while clearing a malfunction also has to do with getting them out of the tunnel vision that comes when the gun stops going "boom". We had a guy just the other night at drills that had a malfunction and who sat there staring at the gun as if it was going to somehow magically un-**** itself. We had, however, another guy that had a much more deleterious malfunction who kept banging away at the gun until it was cleared and then finished the drill. I would not have though the latter a fool had he decided to take a knee once he realized that tap-rack-bang wasn't getting it done.

Feedback Score
    I train with cover. For one thing, there's the mechanical aspect of learning to shoot well while leaning around it, especially when you're going around the non-ideal side. So even if you're not really mentally preparing yourself to use it in a fight, at least you're practicing the mechanics.

Also, as Pat Mac mentions in his TAPS book, simply using cover doesn't mean you're doing it right. For example, not popping out at the same place every time, etc. Other trainers have mentioned other little tidbits.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're training without cover, or even half-assed attempts to simulate it, you're creating training scars. Don't expect to do it for real when needed. Echoed by a number of people involved in UoF incidents and OISs.

Even teaching to step off the line before or after firing ingrains motion. At one event I recently attended, a student stepped off the line after the command to fire, fired, then moved again. Asked why they did that without instruction, they did not immediately know. They ultimately defaulted to "because that's what we practiced at the academy." It is not ideal, but it's useful.

The value of movement, especially movement to cover, is reinforced in sims exercises, even video-based sim training. I am very uncomfortable standing still, for a reason. I think it's going to hurt if I don't. My aversion to pain is a good start to developing GSW avoidance.

Don't make cover practice harder than it needs to be. Take empty rubbermaid tubs with you to the range and overturn them. Stock empty ~50-gal water barrels at your range or in your gear. Grab a picnic table from the spectator line and stand it up.

If you can do nothing else... MOOOOOVE!
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm talking about training situations when there is nothing but imaginery cover to be had. If you can use oil drums, tables or what not use them and make people activly scan for cover so that they break tunnel vision and become aware of their surroundings. I've conducted CQB training with some of this people and some of them don't use cover properly even though they've trained it.

But for some I just see it as "range kata" as someone said. People just routinely taking one step to the side as part of their reload. I agree that ducking down for clearing malfunctions can be useful but I think utilizing cover should preferbly be taught somewhere else then the range being it such a surreal place from a "taking cover" standpoint.

I agree with F2S sometimes it's best to haul ass but then you should train that and not sidestepping. Somethings can trained to muscle memory and some can't and I believe this is one of those situations where it's not beneficial. Train shooting on the range and using cover somewhere else.
    Last edited by The_Swede; 07-07-12 at 03:26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast