22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustedAce View Post
    I used a 60 on a deployment.

Held up fine.
    Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsop View Post
    Uniformity assists in easy repair and replacement.

That and you'll always get that guy who thinks just because its polymer its good to go, Buying the cheapest shit from china and wondering why it doesn't work. Makes sense that they'd cut the BS.
    Imagine if the Army allowed personally owned rifles? How many DPMS's would you see out their with sightmark optics and CCA stocks?
    On the flip side, what is to stop soldiers from using garbage aluminum mags like c products, USA brand, etc?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RustedAce View Post
    I used a 60 on a deployment.

Held up fine.
    Can you tell us how many times you fired it?
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by charmcitycop View Post
    On the flip side, what is to stop soldiers from using garbage aluminum mags like c products, USA brand, etc?
    Who's going to spend money on something they get for free? If they loose a few there's always someone to get a couple "extras" from.
    I've never met anyone who bought more GI mags.

Feedback Score
    Who's going to spend money on something they get for free? If they loose a few there's always someone to get a couple "extras" from.
    From a theoretical standpoint I agree with charmcitycop, but from a practical/realistic standpoint I'm with you Jsop.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Makes sense. And while I prefer Pmags to GI mags I very much understand that rules have to take into account the lowest common denominator, for good or bad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    Can you tell us how many times you fired it?
    I fire mine at least once every two weeks for training. I go to the range and it gets cycled through completely.

one thing I noticed is that if the mag is partially full and it drops, then about three rounds pop out of the top.

I keep one in my rifle for patroling: Regain the initiative with fire superiority.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOWT View Post
    Ding, Ding, Ding!

I am willing to bet they claim an upper is not a personal weapon, so they are not in violation of GO1.

They could still have issues returning to the CONUS though.

I encouraged my guys to buy/shoot AR-15/M-4 weapons, but only to get better with their issued weapons. What advantage is their to using a civilian upper on a DoD weapon?
    Two rotations ago (OEF-8) there was a guy in my unit who upon drawing our weapons for deployment drew an M16 (vs. the M4 he was normally issued) and proceeded to take the upper receiver off the M16. He then produced a purpose built SPR type upper with Leupold scope etc. and affixed this to the M16 lower. The arms room stored the M16 upper for the year with a tag annotating where the lower was and he deployed for the 15 months with his SPR.

The only thing that the units (most of them) care about is the serial number accountability of the weapons (sensitive items inventory) so he had the issue serialized lower. There was no issue re-deploying with the weapon as he had taken it over.

I almost switched out my POW upper this year because my unit screwed with the MAL right before we deployed, giving a lot of people new weapons that they had not sighted in or qualed with. If we had not gotten a range the week before we left I would be sporting my DD 14.5" middy upper right now.

Now, where someone could encounter an issue is taking a complete issue weapon, and their upper. It's easy to take stuff overseas, not as easy bringing stuff back. Customs is a bitch on the way out, so having an "extra" upper would be hard to successfully explain to the customs guys.

On the Magazine issue, meh! I have both P-Mags, and USGI for my own personal weapons. I use what uncle sam gives me at work as I am too cheap to pay my own hard earned money for equipment that will get f'd up at work (except maybe slings, grips, a stock). That may be the wrong thought process but that's how I do it. USGI and P-Mags are both great and both have their problems. If they are properly maintained and inspected you should have little to no problems with either. My 2 cents.

JP
    Last edited by jp0319; 06-09-12 at 03:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charmcitycop View Post
    In CONUS, nothing at all. Troops have a tendency to buy shit based on hearsay or some ****ed up perceived need. However, in AFG, Pmags are readily available in most PX/BX's I've been in, and have an outstanding reputation. If a troop is using a substandard self purchased mag in theater, he is a self appointed Darwin candidate, and does so at his own risk.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    he is a self appointed Darwin candidate, and does so at his own risk.
    Or other people in his unit.

When solders buy substandard crap, or use their favorite upper, it’s not just their ass they put on the line.
    Last edited by 5pins; 06-09-12 at 08:54.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast