Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Army says no more polymer mags

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buy quality and demand 100% function, especially for those who go in harms way. That being said, this is an axle folks seem to get wrapped around far too easily.

Lots of conversation lately about GI mags. All that is old is new again.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The best reason I've seen for using EVERYTHING but metal G.I. magazines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdesKUSUchA

After watching this I wouldn't take G.I. magazines if they were offered for free, it's Magpul or nothing.

It makes me wonder if the guy making the final decision watched this video, or ever pulled a trigger in anger.
    Maker of: "The TALON" Pocket Video Camera Mount.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzilla View Post
    The best reason I've seen for using EVERYTHING but metal G.I. magazines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdesKUSUchA

After watching this I wouldn't take G.I. magazines if they were offered for free, it's Magpul or nothing.
    Last edited by a0cake; 05-05-12 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Exactly.

I have began purging all Pmags out of my collection.

Over Easter weekend we went shooting. We had a pmag so swollen that the rounds were stacked in it side by side instead of staggered.

They were trapped about 1/4 of the way down the magazine body. I had never seen anything like it before.

It would not work in either my buddy's Benelli MR1 or my Colt 6933. This pmag belonged to my buddy who is a "casual gun owner" who doesn't shoot much, and the magazine was like new.

I banged it on the sole of my shoe and couldn't get the rounds to pop back in line to the top of the feedlips. Never seen anything like it.

Ammunition was federal M193. After taking a pocket knife to pluck out the ammo, we put it in a NHMTG magazine and there was no more problem.
    That sounds like somebody tried to overstuff the magazine and put 32 rounds in it.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post

Feedback Score
    And so the winds of the internet blow.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I never had an issue with a GI mag ever, dont see a reason to ban it but no matter I guess.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0N View Post
    PMAGs actually failed Army testing several years ago for the following reasons

1) rough handling at -60F causes damage/cracks in feed lip
    2) immersion in MIL-L-46000 Lubricant Semi-Fluid Automatic Weapons - LAW and 804-01-284-3982; DEET Insect Repellent causes stress crazing/cracking
    I'm not surprised: I've had the feed lips on Pmags crack in cold weather and not just once. I'm not shit canning my Pmags any time soon but my serious-use mags are USGI with the tan followers or Magpul followers.

Feedback Score

It makes me wonder if the guy making the final decision watched this video, or ever pulled a trigger in anger.
    I know right, every time I went on a mission a truck ran over my mags and then I stuffed them full of sand. I hate it when that happens. I need some pmags.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Makes me wonder the same of you, no offense.

Metal mags never gave me any shit. If they did I turned them into the armory.
    The guy in the armory was into sport shooting so he never second guessed anyone requesting new mags.

I don't have much time with polymer mags but id be interested to see how they stood up on a chest rig with constant movement under fire drills and buddy carrys and such.

Uniformity assists in easy repair and replacement.

That and you'll always get that guy who thinks just because its polymer its good to go, Buying the cheapest shit from china and wondering why it doesn't work. Makes sense that they'd cut the BS.
    Imagine if the Army allowed personally owned rifles? How many DPMS's would you see out their with sightmark optics and CCA stocks?

Side note: I was told by a NG friend that they are allowed to bring self acquired rifles overseas. And use them instead of issued M4s.
    Can anyone confirm?

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast