Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New Grey Glock Finish Sucks.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltblitz View Post
    ... much harder to keep clean.

At SHOT almost all the Glocks had the new finish and it will be what all new guns come with. I understand EPA restrictions causing them to have to change the finish, but I wish they would have stuck with a slicker finish.
    1. Don't try so hard to keep it clean. It's a Glock, not your teeth.

2. Do you have any proof to back up your EPA statement, or is this just something you read on a forum somewhere that you are repeating?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The EPA statement came directly from the Glock factory. I have now been told the same thing by a Glock factory LE rep in the field and by two Glock employees during SHOT.

Glock went from a finish I liked that was easy to clean to one that tends to absorb and hold dirt and grime. I'm not at all one of those folks that are parnoid about keeping a gun spotless, but one of the most vulnerable places in the Glock is firing pin channel and I see this finish as creating an issue in the future with folks that overlube and do not clean their guns.

Deal with Glocks from an LE armorer standpoint and you see firing pin channels bogged down with CLP and other sludge that creat issues.

Time will tell with the new finish, but like I said, if I get another Gen4 with this finish the slide will get a coat of NP3.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I prefer the new matte grey finish, and am waiting to buy another Gen4 G-17 'til I find one with it, to match my Gen4 G22, G19 and G35 in matte grey.

My slick black finish Gen4 G17 will relegated to other duties...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Glock 17 Gen4 with 1174 rounds through, and it doesn't show any signs of wear except on the front most portion of the barrel hood. It has the new, dull finish.
    Last edited by Timbonez; 01-27-11 at 19:54.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    Stolen from TOS:

The "new" one on the left. Looks like my pretty old Gen3 2pin G17. A finish that I found to be far superior to the more black finish that followed. The finish on my G17 in question feels much rougher and is easier to get a firm grip. The black finish on the right always felt slippery.

No clue what this "new" finish feels like though.

Feedback Score

Exclamation

Cant manage to remove this stains. Tried Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner, Ballistol and sort of Simple Green.

After BreakFree and dry clean they disappear but if I do a deep clean again, the stains are still there.

Is that rust?
    Last edited by Swatieson; 01-31-11 at 14:21.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm no expert...but I've been looking into Tennifer/Melonite because I'm thinking of getting the treatment done to my 1911.

The process of the treatment has undergone many changes over the years that I believe are geared towards improvement because guns are a VERY small part of the market for this treatment...

Many of you probably already know this...but here it is right from the source...7th paragraph quoted below... http://www.durferrit.de/en/unternehm...geschichte.htm

To meet the growing needs with regard to wear and corrosion resistance, as well as the enhancement of the fatigue strength, great efforts were devoted to the development and launching of the TENIFER® process, which is also known worldwide under the trade names of TUFFTRIDE® and MELONITE®. This nitrocarburizing process has undergone continuous development with regard to its regenerability and ecology, and from year-to-year the number of applications is increasing on all 5 continents.
    The new color is likely a result of these changes....and I seriously doubt that it is in any way inferior to any of the previous versions...

I kinda like the grey...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swatieson View Post
    Cant manage to remove this stains. Tried Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner, Ballistol and sort of Simple Green.

After BreakFree and dry clean they disappear but if I do a deep clean again, the stains are still there.

Is that rust?
    I'm surprised you didn't melt your plastic front sight with all those chemicals.
    Don't worry, it's not broken it's a Glock.

Re: The whole thread...

This thread went full-retard a long time ago with people crying they don't like the color or blurbs about how the finish "seems" to be. Without solid facts about the new metal treatment process, this thread should be locked.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    K, we are talking about a Glock right? Take that pistol, piss on it, throw it out a plane, and then pistol whip a goat to death with it.

I'm pretty sure it will still work even with a couple of witty-bitty marks on the pretty finish.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    K, we are talking about a Glock right? Take that pistol, piss on it, throw it out a plane, and then pistol whip a goat to death with it.
    Wow, dude. If I didn't already have a signature that I love. I would use this...
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast