You'd think the height would be a problem right? So far, just playing around with it this evening, it's proving to be less and less of an issue as I get used to using it.

As to why I chose this over the J-Point, this sight is supposed to be far more rugged. I'm aware that tons of people have used J-Points for a long time without issue, but if I'm carrying this for social purposes I like knowing that it passed military tests for water and impact resistance. I may not be rolling around in the surf zone with this on my pistol, but it's just layers of reliability. Another issue is that the J-Point has to be removed to replace the battery, the MRDS has a battery hatch in the top. Perhaps a minor issue, but still. Also, the MRDS has positive click adjustments when zeroing and the intensity of the reticle is adjustable as well as having an auto mode, allowing this sight to be used in complete darkness or with night vision. Not that I own any nods.

Time will tell if this works for me, and if it doesn't, I have an AK that's begging to have this optic put on it.