Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FLETC bans the SERPA!

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apricotshot View Post
    This "news" just hit my agency today. Panic has ensued. I like seeing guys debate holster usage that only actually draw from their holsters when it's time to qual.
    Mine too. I did, however, thoroughly enjoy forwarding the email to the personnel that had repeatedly argued with me on the range over their holster choice. Like you, I noticed they tend to only draw on qual days. Go figure.

Feedback Score
    Good news, but someone better tell the other branches of the military. The Serpa is the most common holster I've seen in AFG, and it's sold in the BX in quite a few places.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have used one for over three years and love mine and more importantly haven't had one issue.

Guess I better study up on this.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My agency now issues the Serpa holster to new hires at the academy. I prefer and carry a Safariland ALS/SLS holster. I have been warning people about the unsafe nature of this holster and I hope this FLETC advisement helps provide impetus for change to a holster that is more safe, reliable, and secure.
    Last edited by sgtjosh; 01-12-12 at 18:55.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    Denial isn't a river in Egypt, however it's rampant amongst a lot of Serpa owners.
    "The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Feedback Score
    The first time I saw a SERPA holster, I thought the design was asking for trouble.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    WELL CRAP! I just got Serpa holsters for both myself and my wife. I guess I will have to figure out something else.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I sincerely hope that the people who still use the SERPA never sustain any problems while operating in the field. While I know there are folks out there that will not change their mind on the issue, I would like to bring to light the fact that there is a number of documented incidents from other members here on the forum who have experienced failures with the holster. At the very least, this should make someone mindful of that possibility.

I had heard of a couple anecdotal experiences from some friends who had suffered failures while in the training environment but had never seen it personally. However, in one of the last carbine classes I attended, I witnessed a student position himself into the urban prone position and lock up his holster. A piece of gravel had lodged into the mechanism causing it to seize up. Needless to say, he was unable to draw his pistol.

IMHO, the ALS from Safariland offers so much more in terms of quality while keeping in roughly the same price range as the SERPA: the attachment points are stronger, the locking mechanism is less susceptible to dirt and debris, and the mechanism is actuated by a digit other than the trigger finger.
    "Those who fight monsters should take care that they never become one. For when you stand and look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."
    ~ Frederich Nietzsche

Remington 870 LE, Glock, and AR-15/M16 Armorer
    NRA Firearms Instructor: Basic Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun
    NRA LE Instructor: Patrol Rifle
    USPSA TY58905 "C" Class Production

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjosh View Post
    My agency now issues the Serpa holster to new hires at the academy. I prefer and carry a Safariland ALS/SLS holster. I have been warning people about the unsafe nature of this holster and I hope this FLETC advisement helps provide impetus for change to a holster that is more safe, reliable, and secure.
    Drawing from the Serpa and having an ND isn't as much of an potentiality as the potential of having your pistol locked in there from debris, especially given the environment that most BPAs work in.

The "evidence" is in the fact that new agents who are issued the Serpa don't seem to have a problem drawing and shooting from it (at least to my knowledge), having spent their time at FLETC being trained on that holster.

To date, we haven't had any Serpa related NDs at our station. Like you, I continue to carry my Safariland 6280 that I was issued.

I think many agents that were issued the 6280 switched to the Serpa when it became authorized because they thought it was cooler or "high speed" (no doubt from seeing photos of military wearing it). If nothing else, Serpa has great marketing.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I work in SE GA a little south of FLETC (not in LE). I forwarded this information to a friend of mine who works for the PD in the same city I work in. He didn't think much of it. Then I sent him information on the holster being torn from the belt and about the locking mechanism being jammed by debris and included the video links below. Those got his attention and now they're reconsidering the use of the Serpa for the non-uniformed guys. I hope something good comes of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOBEJ...eature=related

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...key=AQ~~,AAAAC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxpXU...layer_embedded
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast