Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FLETC bans the SERPA!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is GREAT!!!! Now, if I could just get my agency to follow follow suit....

I am going to think of a way to work this into conversation this Thursday.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ---
    If not me, then who?

Feedback Score
    Good for them. I wish my department would follow suit and ban the SERPA.

While attending a Magpul class last spring I completely locked my old SERPA up by getting some sand in the side button. I was not the only person in the class that had this problem.

I have gone back to Safariland holsters. With their current SLS or ALS offerings, and all of the problems with SERPAs, I don't see why anyone would go with one.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHorseman View Post
    It is definitely a step in the right direction; however, I recently saw some other investigative agencies at FLETC still using the SERPA. For some reason, most of these federal agencies tend to be behind the power curve when it comes to firearms equipment. The only agency I have seen using the Safariland ALS is the U.S. Marshals Service
    I know a number of National Park Service Rangers are using ALS holsters. I have also seen a couple of Forest Service officers with them. Not sure if that is agency wide though.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Front Sight banned the use of the serpa also. Makea you wonder if blackhawk will do anything to fix the design or just pretend there isnt a problem.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Key phrase:

"While it is true that one of the Cardinal Rules of firearms safety was violated by the individual placing his or her finger on the trigger before they were ready to shoot"

What next? Blaming S&W for an unwanted additional shot because firing the first shot facilitates more?

I own and have used several SERPA holsters. If you take the time to learn how the holster works and don't pull a trigger while a gun is pointed at your own body, there's nothing wrong with them. Surely better holsters exist, but that's not the point.

Feedback Score
    Your finger used to squeeze the trigger should be used for that and only that, when handling a pistol. Using the same finger to manipulate a release device on a holster is simply stupid.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Key phrase:

"While it is true that one of the Cardinal Rules of firearms safety was violated by the individual placing his or her finger on the trigger before they were ready to shoot"

What next? Blaming S&W for an unwanted additional shot because firing the first shot facilitates more?

I own and have used several SERPA holsters. If you take the time to learn how the holster works and don't pull a trigger while a gun is pointed at your own body, there's nothing wrong with them. Surely better holsters exist, but that's not the point.
    The difference is that there are many cases of a proficent shooter having a ND while using the SERPA that was directly attributed to the design of the holster. Saying it is the fault of the shooter is like Remington saying that their 700-series trigger NDs is not a result of the design. The NDs of the SERPA that have been occuring almost always occur during stressful shoots, when an instructor dictates the speed and direction of the scenario. When you are tired, and you get into the unpredictability of such a scenario and are pushing yourself to draw quickly then your body does funny things. The muscle memory you gained in using the SERPA of pushing down on the pistol, performing a single depression of the release lever, followed by drawing the weapon, aquiring the target, and then pulling the trigger is no longer smooth. Under stress, you often mix up the steps or do not fully complete one of them. If you fail to get your pistol out of the holster on the first attempt, in almost all cases you frantically try the steps again and often exaggerate the proceedure. In the case of the SERPA, it would be holding your finger in the release lever longer and harder, or repeatedly pressing it even after the pistol has cleared the holster.

If you've never experienced such instances, then you've probably never run the gun at this level of stress enough. If you do train this hard, it isn't a matter of if you will get a ND with a SERPA, it's when. A local officer I work with insists that his SERPA is safe and he likes it. I also know that he doesn't train all that hard, and he is the type that thinks he knows everything and once he has adopted a position he will defend it to the death regardless of how idiotic it may be.
    Last edited by Microalign; 01-10-12 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo@RB1 View Post
    Finally, a government backing on not allowing the serpa!
    I know, right!? Wow. I keep looking behind myself, to see if there are monkeys flying outta my ass....

Triggers and trigger-fingers, I couldn't care less about. That thing needs to be ditched across the board as a DUTY holster for this reason....

....and the fact that it's mounts might as well be made of spun sugar, for all the strength they have in retaining during gun-grab.

All the cats vapor-locking on trigger stuff would do well to stop staring at that one tree, look around, and take a glimpse at the forest. Whatever the published central reason for the prohibition, the other problems with that holster are purely design-oriented and have nothing to do with any safe/unsafe actions on the part of the shooter.

Bravo to FLETC....for accidentally falling ass-backwards into doing the right thing....
    Contractor scum, New & Legacy Equipment Trainer
    PM Infantry Weapons, USMC

Feedback Score
    So when I ditch this Serpa at the next gun show what's the better choice: Safariland ALS or just a custom Kydex like I have for the gun I train with (Steyr)? The Kydex isn't as easy to get on and off during everyday carry and is a bit bulky but it's simple. A sharp yank and the weapon is free.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Feedback Score
    This "news" just hit my agency today. Panic has ensued. I like seeing guys debate holster usage that only actually draw from their holsters when it's time to qual.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Here's me being shocked that the SERPA is getting attention for being a ****ed up design....................................................
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast