Thread: Any K-Frame love, here?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'll tell you why I finally broke down and paid the asking price (too much) for a 2.5" 66. Ever since I saw the Clint Eastwood movie, "The Gauntlet", I wanted one. Clint's alcoholic, burned out cop character carried one of those. I wanted it more than the Dirty Harry's model 29.
    Just a little trivia here,but if you look closely,especially the scene where Eastwood was in the phone booth,you'll notice that the revo was a square butt.

Back in the day a lot of people ordered the 2 1/2 inch bbls from S&W and installed them on their original 4 inch guns.However, S&W did make some(not sure how many,but very few) of these 2 1/2 inchers with the square rather than the round butt.
    I believe I am correct that the one in the movie was Eastwood's personal revolver and was an original square butt.

There was also a televised interview with Roy Rogers several years before his death,concerning carry rights,and he showed a 2 1/2 inch Mod 66 that he said was his favorite carry gun for personal defense.
    I prefer the round butt on this model and that's what I have,but an original factory 2 1/2 inch square butt will bring a lot of bucks.

The majority of my early police career was with K frame Smiths,and I love all the K's. I found the L frames to be a little more robust and a little better with magnum loads.I carried a customed tuned Mod.586 for several years with one Sheriff Dept,however for most use the K's do just fine. Great classic guns.
    Last edited by DocH; 09-02-11 at 06:38.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.