Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Regular or KINO...a handguard dilemma

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Regular or KINO...a handguard dilemma

Im dead set on this build. Im trying to decide if I want to go Kino or regular.

With my shooting style, a 10" handguard at least is optimum.

However I am really wanting a FSB, if I go with that, then I will have only 9 inches of rail space and If I decide to go with a longer handguard later on, is the FSB pins gonna screw that all up?

Also I prefer the shorter gas tube as opposed to a midlength gas system.

I want this upper to be bulletproof and I would really like to have the FSB.

Any feedback from you guys that own them would be appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    "Never sacrifice a real FSB for rail space" - Lao Tzu 300 B.C.E
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    How about a KINO build with a Centurion Arms C4 Midlenght Cutout rail?

Best of both worlds.
    When asked a few days later by his superior what he was going to do once he was out of the plane without a parachute, Frank MacAlyster replied…

"One problem at a time sarge, one problem at a time..."

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I was in the same boat as you. Initially, I had the same needs/wants and picked up the Kino. On paper, I liked the idea of it but in practice having the FSB in my line of sight bothered me and I found myself concentrating less on the target and more on the front sight. I also found that I liked gripping the rail right about where the sight base was on the upper.

I ended up pulling the FSB off and installing a Daniel Defense MFR rail with Troy flip up sights. Much better for me and it felt a little lighter (or more balanced) than the FSB/MOE/MVG combo I had on before. I really like having the majority of the barrel covered, all of it in this case. In the future I may swap over to a URX III rail on this barrel for S & G's.

No issues with the FSB pins, by the way.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a Kino upper that I've shot quite a bit. I'm not a 'high speed' user or anything, but it is currently my HD setup. I tend to prefer having the FSB, so I like it. I wouldn't want to live with carbine handguards on a barrel in this length, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the midlength handguards compared to a slightly longer rail.

There's a bit of extra weight up front with the Kino config, but I like the balance without a silencer mounted. That said, it is a bit front heavy with a silencer (partially due to the barrel length, partially due to the extra weight in this configuration).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    But you have holes in the barrel now from the taper pins right.

I guess a 10" rail would cover it up.

And for the record, the Centurion is exactly whats going on it.

Either a 9" or a 10".

My grip is the biggest reason why I want a longer rail with no FSB
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I started off with a regular BCM 12.5" upper with Larue 11.0 and I thought it was perfect. Got to top mount my X300 and my can fit damn near perfectly at the end of the rail. Perfection (or so I thought). Then my best friend finally got his Kino with some MOE handguards...

Now I also have a Kino, but with a cutback DD LITE 12.0 FSPM rail that I wasn't using. I honestly can't think of a better setup. I'm using a sling mount as a handstop/reference point on the bottom rail with a 6P/VTAC combo on the 9o'clock rail. This gives me the perfect amount of space on the rail to get my preffered grip.

I plan on building a lightweight 14.5mid version so I don't have to sweat the NFA stuff as much.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    But you have holes in the barrel now from the taper pins right.

I guess a 10" rail would cover it up.

And for the record, the Centurion is exactly whats going on it.

Either a 9" or a 10".

My grip is the biggest reason why I want a longer rail with no FSB
    You would have holes from the taper pins (more like channels on the bottom of the barrel, actually). A 10" rail would probably cover the rear most channel but I think the front would still be exposed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I dont mind the weight. My 11.5" is a little front heavy but not bad. I dont mind it.

Shooting my M4 with my style is a bit hard. I cant get my arm extended...It drives me crazy.

Usually on a build I have NO problem deciding and the build comes out EXACTLY how I initially planned....but this is rough decision.

The M4 has a FSB. I love it. The 11.5" has a Front Folding sight. I like that too.

I want something to fill the gap between my M4 and 11.5".

I want it BULLETPROOF and to be a good all around shooter.

Something for long range AND CQB/HD.

FSB or no FSB is the question

Instagram Dangertastic

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'm missing it, what lenght barrel?
    You say something between an 11.5 and a 14.5 (you are saying "M4" so I am assuming here), and since I don't see too many 13" barrels out there I assume you are looking at a 12.5. Yes?

If so, I'd opt for a Kino with an FSB cut.

However, I'm not sure I would opt for a 12.5 over an 11.5.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast