Thread: Mossberg 930 SPX flashlight mount solution....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Mossberg 930 SPX flashlight mount solution....

Finally did something I've been wanting to do for quite a while, find a good solution for mounting a rail light. I wanted to use a Streamlight TLR-1 as I have a couple of them and like them a lot. Easy on and off for switching to different firearms.....I had no interest in a semi-permanent mounted unit with a tape switch. I was close to buying a Mesa barrel clamp type unit for a light, but was not really thrilled with that idea either.

I had a couple leftover polymer Magpul rails, so elected to see if I could mount one directly to the factory forend. It turned out great with a couple simple mods and some careful measuring, utilizing the Magpul hardware. I *really* like the way it turned out. As I hope the pic shows, a portion of the stiffening rib inside the forend had to be dremeled away for proper fit, easily done. The actual surface that the rail is mounted to is slightly convex, so the rail section was dished to match by carefully sanding against a propane cylinder wrapped in sandpaper.

Last edited by highxj; 09-02-10 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    very nicely done.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well done.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Good job. You just inspired me to do this on mine.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks Jaxman7. Yesterday, I ran 50 rounds of various loads through it with the TLR1 mounted, seems solid as a rock.

You will find that there is very little leeway up and down for mounting the rail. Any lower on the forearm and you have interference from the gas cylinder on the barrel, unless you mount it way farther rearward which wouldn't be good.....

After figuring out just where to put it and laying it out, it didn't take more than 15 minutes for the actual install.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good work. Another option for people until the railed forends come out.
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.