Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is nitrocarburizing the wave of the future?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing

Nitrocarburizing seems to be superior to chrome in every respect.

MilSpec is only a minimum standard - it is not the last word in quality.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post

Nitrocarburizing seems to be superior to chrome in every respect.

Based on what?

MilSpec is only a minimum standard - it is not the last word in quality.
    More regurgitated misinformation...

The military specification can only be met or missed. If the specification is not met it's out of spec in either direction.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    More regurgitated misinformation...

The military specification can only be met or missed. If the specification is not met it's out of spec in either direction.
    Yeah, thanks, among my other talents I am a COR. I have managed more than a few govt contracts. I can assure you that a manufacturer can (and in many cases do) make something that exceeds the minimum acceptable standard ( "MILSPEC" ). MILSPEC is what the company needs to make in order to get paid. If they happen to make it stronger, lighter, longer lasting, better, then it is a win-win. Frequently companies who out perform their contract will get additional consideration when it comes time to renew the contract.

Now, what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, nitrocarburizing!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    Heat kills barrels.
    The bimetal jacket likely created more friction in that Lucky Gunner torture test.
    If it can be quantified that the melonite bores create less friction than their chrome lined counterpart, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Personally I hate shiny guns, so the treatment appeals to me because my barrel is in the white.
    The wear resistance is a big bonus. (How many rounds did that Glock have through it in Pannone's torture test?)

BTW, there needs to be a tongue in cheek smiley.

My bad; I was in a hurry! I totally agree with the heat...even the best barrels when shot past overheat will be rendered dead I short order. I was strictly speaking of the coating.

When they coat them now do they do the whole barrel or just the bore?

Sparky
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had my MR QPQ nitrided.

I fired 60 ish rounds through the barrel to ensure proper function of the system and then used KG-12 copper solvent to clean the bore followed by handlapping the bore.

All steel parts with the exception of the smaller pins were sent to H&M Metal processing and within three weeks I had all of the parts back. After getting it back, I also Parkerized over the nitriding.

I unfortunatly havn't had the time to run as many rounds through it as I want, but I have had excellent results (sub 1/2 MOA groupings using an Aimpoint PRO and a larue po-boy magnifier mounted in an aimpoint magnifier mount). The ONLY issue i've run into is that the firing pin tip broke off.

Nitriding penetrates fairly deep and if a part is small enough, it will fully penetrate and over harden that piece. If that piece is a high impact piece and placed under stress, it will break.

A simple replacement with another untreated firing pin fixed the issue and the gun is in top form. It's got close to 2k rounds down the pipe (like I said, not nearly as much as i'd like) but work has prevented me from shooting for awhile, and other then the firing pin issue, there hasn't been a single other problem.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    My bad; I was in a hurry! I totally agree with the heat...even the best barrels when shot past overheat will be rendered dead I short order. I was strictly speaking of the coating.

When they coat them now do they do the whole barrel or just the bore?

Sparky
    When I queried WMDguns they were doing the barrels inside and out.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, WMD does the whole barrel in a salt bath. Problem is, IMO, the barrel extension is done as well, fully attached. I almost sent in a barrel for them to do, but I've read too many stories of the extension coming loose after that treatment, so I decided against it. Just Cerakoted the outside and will let the chrome do its job.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 03-31-13 at 11:47.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A couple of things RE: Nitriding....

Nitriding pretty much locks a piece into stone. If the quality was crap before nitriding, then it will be forever crap afterwards with little or no hope of being able to be fixed.

Secondly, do NOT nitride over chrome. The process will corrode the chrome and ruin the barrel. SOmeone already tried this and found out the hard way.

Lastly, When I got my HK MR parts back, I soaked them in windex for awhile and used Kroil to fully penetrate into the nooks and crannies to get out as much of the salt remnants as possible. Windex seeps in and dissolves the corrosive salts and then Kroil penetrates and displaces the now liquid nitriding salts from the joints, nooks, and crannies of the parts, thereby ensuring that the salts will not continue to be exposed to moisture and continue corroding and destroy the parts.
    Last edited by GrumpyM4; 03-31-13 at 12:05.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    While very simlar in the end result, the Tennifer and Melonite processes are a little different in regards to certain chemicals used. In the Tennifer process, certain compunds are used that are not legal to use in the U.S.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nitriding is all or nothing process. How would it be possible to only nitride the exterior of the barrel?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast