Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is nitrocarburizing the wave of the future?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    I have, however, read conflicting reports about removing the barrel extension prior to the treatment.
    I've heard the same thing. Also, if it's been fired much (and I don't know the "cutoff") it won't take to the bore; an unfired barrel is optimal from what I've read.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackmagic View Post
    I thought about getting a melonite barrel once because from what I researched the coeficient of friction of melonite is lower than chrome. The result was that the barrel stayed cooler.

I wonder how nitro-carbinate compares in that category.

I would love to see data on barrel temps vs. different coatings to see if that is BS or not. I was not able to find anything real concrete so I did not buy the barrel.
    I think Meloniting is a form of nitrocarburizing, same with Tennifer. Both are brand names like Kleenex is to tissue.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I've heard the same thing. Also, if it's been fired much (and I don't know the "cutoff") it won't take to the bore; an unfired barrel is optimal from what I've read.
    Robb Jensen was talking about putting a couple hundred rounds through one.
    Cleaning all the fouling out.
    And sending it out for the treatment.

Something about peak accuracy after that many rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think Meloniting is a form of nitrocarburizing, same with Tennifer. Both are brand names like Kleenex is to tissue.
    Yup.
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    If it scores a Mil contract then I would think so.
    The military currently uses two finishes on an M4 for the barrel: parkerizing and chrome lining. Nitrocarburizing could narrow it down to one process which provides equal durability inside and out. Hell, it could be used for the other steel parts too. Not sure if it's compatible with aluminum though.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Robb Jensen was talking about putting a couple hundred rounds through one.
    Cleaning all the fouling out.
    And sending it out for the treatment.

Something about peak accuracy after that many rounds.
    What process was he using to "strip", if you will, the bore of all firing residue? I think it would involve more than just Hoppes and a bore brush to get it to that level.

There is a guy on HKPro who did it to his MR556 barrel. I can't remember exactly what he did to get all of the fouling from the lands and grooves. I'll have to see if I can find his thread.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 03-31-13 at 09:06.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What process was he using to "strip", if you will, the bore of all firing residue? I think it would involve more than just Hoppes and a bore brush to get it to that level.

There is a guy on HKPro who did it to his MR556 barrel. I can't remember exactly what he did to get all of the fouling from the lands and grooves. I'll have to see if I can find his thread.
    He'll if I know.
    I couldn't get a response from the guy.
    I'd appreciate any info you can find though.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So they melonite some barrels.
    So does DSA.
    Both are hobby rifles.

Wasn't it CMMG that put out a bunch of crap barrels?
    But I digress.

Less trolling and more on topic discussion please.

Agreed. I was being tongue in cheek. I agree anyone can put out a bad batch.

I would say that this treatment (by whichever brand name one chooses), probably withstands bimetallic jackets used with steel cased ammo better than chrome lining.

Sparky
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    There's a patent held by Noveske related to it...

http://www.google.com/patents/US8333029
    It appears that the patent is for a combination of using nitrocarburizing with H13 steel, which is made to resist thermal fatigue.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Agreed. I was being tongue in cheek. I agree anyone can put out a bad batch.

I would say that this treatment (by whichever brand name one chooses), probably withstands bimetallic jackets used with steel cased ammo better than chrome lining.

Sparky
    Heat kills barrels.
    The bimetal jacket likely created more friction in that Lucky Gunner torture test.
    If it can be quantified that the melonite bores create less friction than their chrome lined counterpart, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Personally I hate shiny guns, so the treatment appeals to me because my barrel is in the white.
    The wear resistance is a big bonus. (How many rounds did that Glock have through it in Pannone's torture test?)

BTW, there needs to be a tongue in cheek smiley.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast