Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The bed side weapon, and hearing protection..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Yes, on this. Plus addition of using a suppressed weapon will only assist in this decision. It is what I do and use. Men have been using firearms for centuries without aid of earpro. Only seems recently that we as a species quibble over minor risks of causing ourselves discomfort.

If you are dead, you wont have a reason to worry about your hearing.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    When you are talking about a quick encounter, ear pro is not needed.

As stated above people have been shooting for years. How many hunters waer ear pro?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used to work with a guy that was a radio operator in WWII.

It was a vehicle with radios or whatever, the constant whirring from the cooling fans was responsible for his hearing.

He said it wasnt loud at all, just a low whirripng sound for a few years.

I think its important to wear ear pro if youre out a couple tmes a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    I used to work with a guy that was a radio operator in WWII.

It was a vehicle with radios or whatever, the constant whirring from the cooling fans was responsible for his hearing.

He said it wasnt loud at all, just a low whirripng sound for a few years.

I think its important to wear ear pro if youre out a couple tmes a week.
    I don't think anyone's debating the merits of proper ear protection in appropriate situations.

I don't know if you actually read the thread, or the thread title, but we're talking about responding to a "bump in the night" situation.

Honestly if it was me, and I was willing to spend a few extra seconds grabbing additional gear, it'd be my plate carrier, not some ear pro.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not debating anything

I always thought that was interesting, I didnt know a low sound like that could mess with your hearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p22shooter30 View Post
    if you are that worried about it, get a baseball bat
    Naw, just rack the slide of a shotgun... That's scares away the baddies :-)

Feedback Score
    that would make me drop the tv and run. if they wanted to track me just follow the brown streak
    Red Rider BB gun - Lever Action
    Daisy Model 10 BB gun
    Crosman CO2 BB Pistol
    Daisy F16 Slingshot
    McDonalds Straw and spitballs

Can you believe people actually list thier guns as a signature?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    I've read lots of threads about bed side weapons and different ways people are prepared to react when they here that "thump" in the middle of the night. What no one has ever talked about is where they keep hearing protection, or if they even bother to have it on hand. In a rush, I don't' think shoving in earplugs is timely. Electronic ear muffs would be the easiest and may even add to my ability to detect the whereabouts of intruders. Anyone else concerned about ear protection in a home invasion scenario? What's more, how about ear protection for your wife and or children? The long term affect to one's hearing from gun shots outdoors is bad enough. Indoors, the sound affect will be multiplied. Just thinking, how prepared are you?
    My wife and I each have a set of Peltor electronic muffs at the bedside.

I figure it will be worth the extra second to put them on in order to: 1. be able to hear an intruder better than if we weren't wearing the muffs, and 2. protect our hearing.

For those folks who are concerned that they will have zero time to react to the sound of someone attempting to break into their homes, I recommend spending a few hundred bucks to harden their exterior doors, locks, hinges, strikeplates, etc. to slow down anybody trying to enter forcibly.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 06-06-12 at 15:47.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    My wife and I each have a set of Peltor electronic muffs at the bedside.

I figure it will be worth the extra second to put them on in order to: 1. be able to hear an intruder better than if we weren't wearing the muffs, and 2. protect our hearing.

For those folks who are concerned that they will have zero time to react to the sound of someone attempting to break into their homes, I recommend spending a few hundred bucks to harden their exterior doors, locks, hinges, strikeplates, etc. to slow down anybody trying to enter forcibly.
    Don't forget the eye protection . . .
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Don't forget the eye protection . . .
    And shoes. And your body armor. And a pair of handcuffs. And to call 911...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast