Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget LPVO

Feedback Score

Budget LPVO

I am looking to get a LPVO for about $500 or less. This will be my first LPVO. I've only used red dot and prism scopes in the past. The rifle I will put it on, has a 16" Noveske stainless steel 5.56 barrel. I'm not really going to do much long range shooting but would like to extend the range beyond what my red dots and prism scopes will do. I would like a horse shoe retical. I think that would help for close fast shots. I'm not going to use an offset red dot. I might put offset iron sight for buis.

I was thinking about the Vortex Venom 1-6 SFP. From what I've seen in reviews, it has better glass and turrets than the Strike Eagle. The Viper does not have the retical that I want. I considered a PA SLX or GLX, but came to the conclusion that the Burris RT-6 looks like it would be the best choice for me. The scope price $370, and an ADM mount $180 for a total of $550. (Maybe more, depending on what mount I get)

I am interested if anyone has used the Burris RT-6, if it's any good. Are there any better scopes in that price range?
    Last edited by e z money; 05-17-24 at 13:51.

Feedback Score
    came to the conclusion that the Burris RT-6 looks like it would be the best choice for me. The scope price $370

----

Have no experience with Burris but if you decide the RT-6 is the right one for you Amazon is selling for considerably less. $311. https://www.amazon.com/Burris-200472...073TH5Q7D?th=1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    came to the conclusion that the Burris RT-6 looks like it would be the best choice for me. The scope price $370

----

Have no experience with Burris but if you decide the RT-6 is the right one for you Amazon is selling for considerably less. $311. https://www.amazon.com/Burris-200472...073TH5Q7D?th=1
    Thanks for that. Looks like Amazon has the best price.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with the RT-6 recommendation and own 5 of them. But NOT if you are intending on using it to hunt deer.

Take Note: Last fall, I found where they cut costs. The low light performance for hunting is not very good at all.

With decent light, you'll see clearly and crisply. At dusk, it goes down hill quickly.

I need to put a different scope on my AR hunting rig as a result of this learning.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-17-24 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I agree with the RT-6 recommendation and own 5 of them. But NOT if you are intending on using it to hunt deer.

Take Note: Last fall, I found where they cut costs. The low light performance for hunting is not very good at all.

With decent light, you'll see clearly and crisply. At dusk, it goes down hill quickly.

I need to put a different scope on my AR hunting rig as a result of this learning.
    Is there a better scope for hunting in the same price range, or are you going to replace it with a more expensive scope?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I briefly owned a PA SLx 1-6 Nova. When people said it had a “nuclear bright” reticle, they are correct.
    That’s the baseline for your price range, and deals are posted regularly for under $300.
    It does not have a horseshoe reticle, but that really doesn’t matter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I briefly owned a PA SLx 1-6 Nova. When people said it had a “nuclear bright” reticle, they are correct.
    That’s the baseline for your price range, and deals are posted regularly for under $300.
    It does not have a horseshoe reticle, but that really doesn’t matter.
    Why did you get rid of it?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by e z money View Post
    Is there a better scope for hunting in the same price range, or are you going to replace it with a more expensive scope?
    I'm going to replace it with something at a higher price point for this purpose.

It works great at night using a thermal clip on.....It is just at twilight when you most often see deer that it lacks capability. I still highly recommend it, if that isn't clear.

ETA: This thread was a good reminder to get the replacement well before hunting season. I got the Trijicon Credo HX 1-8x28, which should have plenty of low light performance.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-18-24 at 19:24.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Sig Tango MSR seems to be in the price range. Reviews online for them seem to be good, comments on various posts seem to be mixed.

Full disclosure: I picked one up cheap through the "Friends of Sig" program, and am looking forward to test it out on my SCAR, but don't have any time with it yet.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    The Sig Tango MSR seems to be in the price range. Reviews online for them seem to be good, comments on various posts seem to be mixed.

Full disclosure: I picked one up cheap through the "Friends of Sig" program, and am looking forward to test it out on my SCAR, but don't have any time with it yet.
    I have a couple of those as well and they are surprisingly solid scopes. I like the clarity of the Burris a bit more, but these are 100% serviceable scopes in that price range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast