Thread: NFA trust question

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

NFA trust question

A friend of mine has a rather large collection of suppressors. He is getting older and wants to make sure they don't end up destroyed after his eventual passing. They are in a trust. He would like to add a friend to the trust as a beneficiary.

How does this work?. In the event of my friends passing does the beneficiary simply take possession of the cans? Does he have to undergo a background check and pay a transfer fee?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Discuss with proper trust attorney as he'll want to do this correctly even if it cost $.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Depending on the state in which your friend lives, adding or removing additional trustees or beneficiaries is as simple as creating an Amendment and tacking it on to the back of the trust. Some states require that this Amendment be notarized whereas others, like Georgia, do not.

Either way, no additional taxes or background checks are necessary. That's the main advantage of a trust.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Why would the suppressors get destroyed after his passing? Can the executor of the estate not be given the power to dispose of items in the trust? If there is nobody else in the trust, why does he even have one?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The trust should have a beneficiary and the executor of the estate/will can’t change that since the trust owns the NFA item(s).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    He has a current beneficiary who is old and in poor health. My friend's wife has no interest in guns. No children or relatives who would make use of the cans

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What about friends?
    Otherwise I am unsure of a path to head down unless something could be set up with a local gun store that deals with NFA items.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am going through this right now.

I had an NFA trust before the fingerprinting rules changed and the definition of responsible person was established. The way my trust was written, I'd have to get 10 people fingerprinted every time I bought something.

Ridiculous.

In order to avoid that, I am leaving myself as the sole person on the NFA trust and putting the beneficiaries of said trust in my main estate trust. Keeps it simple on all fronts.

Regardless, he will need to get an attorney involved to do everything and ensure it is set up correctly.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-20-24 at 10:22.