Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Tisas 9mm. Lets see how she runs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Bought a Tisas 9mm. Lets see how she runs.

Ive been seeing a lot of videos and reviews about the various Tisas 1911s. A few friends have purchased them and I have been impressed with the fit, finish, and apparent quality of the guns. I got the opportunity to pick up very lightly used a 9mm commander length Carry model today for 500 bucks. The gun feels really nice. No excessive rattling. The slide is very smooth and tight to the frame. Grip safety is well fit and smooth operating. The thumb safety clicks on and off positively. However the thumb safety does have some mush when it's in the off position and pressed on. Feels very similar to the Colt Competition I recently sold.

Im taking it to the range tomorrow and am going to try and run over 100 rounds through it. Ill keep this thread updated in the coming months on how the gun performs. Im also just about finalized a trade with a guy for a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm bobtail. It will be interesting to compare the two if the trade goes through.

20240513_182802 by chase, on Flickr

20240513_182815 by chase, on Flickr
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Cool! I've been wanting one of these too. I ended up with the SA-35 (Hi Power) to scratch my 9mm itch instead because I didn't know of any Tisas 9s in town.

You should bring it out to the Ranch Saturday. We'll be banging on pistols a bit.
    Last edited by markm; 05-14-24 at 08:52.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have a B9R.
    bkjhkjh9_092532_cr.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well things have not started off great but not horrible either.

Lets start with the good. I got to the armory and field stripped the gun and gave it a good cleaning and oiled it. Everything looked good with no obvious machine markings or warped/broken parts. The gun is also pretty accurate. The group shown was the first 100 rounds through the gun from 10 yards. I wasn't shooting for groups, but I wasnt just blasting away either.

20240514_095745 by chase, on Flickr

However there was one bad thing. The extractor. I started to have random failures to extract malfunctions. The spent casing would get left in the chamber and the slide would attempt to feed a live round behind it. Sometimes it happened twice in one magazine, sometimes it would go 50 rounds between the malfunctions. In the first 200 rounds I would guess 10-15 times. I tried to 10-8 Performance extractor test of firing one round at a time without the magazine in the gun. It failed spectacularly. Most of the time the casing fell out through the mag well while other times it would get caught in the ejection port. out of 20 shots, it properly ejected maybe 5 cases. I tired a couple other extractor tests like placing a live cartridge on the breachface under the extractor and rotating and shaking the slide. It did better on these tests and would pass the test most of the time, but barely. Here are some pictures I took of the round under the extractor.

20240514_142341 by chase, on Flickr

20240514_142238 by chase, on Flickr

I added some tension to the extractor and shot another 150ish rounds through the gun. The failure to extract problem happened again but this time less often. Maybe 5 times. I added more tension and then tried to live round under the casing tests again. This time it passed without any issues. I ran out of time and was unable to try live fire again. Im hoping to get to the range tomorrow to try it again. Here isa picture I took after the last time adding tension. It looks better, but we shall see how it performs. If it still has problems Im just going to buy a Wilson Combat extractor and take it to a 1911 gunsmith.

20240514_153810 by chase, on Flickr
    Last edited by C-grunt; 05-15-24 at 19:36.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Just for grins, put the slide on the frame without the barrel and spring and see if you have any sticky spots from the finish. Mine did and gave me no end of woe until I got that sorted. Which consisted of working it back and forth with no lube for a few minutes. Perfect since.

I do see that the extractor is too long. Those who know 1911s a thousand better than I do (which wouldn't take much) say that long extractors are common on production pistols.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My nephew has the same gun and has experienced the same problem.

I had similar issues with my Springfield Armory EMP. My gunsmith does great work on the 1911 and said that is very common with 1911 9mm with internal extractors.

He adjusted the extractor tension on mine, polished the extractor. Might as well have the feed ramp polished if your gun is visting the gunsmith. I also had the barrel crowned.

My EMP runs great now

You might want to get a few CMC mags. They run great in another one of my 9mm 1911s. The factory Tisas mags are crap.

These guns can be a pain in the ass to get running. But they are absolute laser beams. Worth the effort
    Last edited by signal4l; 05-16-24 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    That’s a properly finished extractor claw/hook in your pic above.
    Virtually all production 1911s never have bottom of claw radiused as yours has been.
    Too little tension and a sharp, 90 degree angle at this point are a guarantee for failures to extract.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    That’s a properly finished extractor claw/hook in your pic above.
    Virtually all production 1911s never have bottom of claw radiused as yours has been.
    Too little tension and a sharp, 90 degree angle at this point are a guarantee for failures to extract.
    I'm sorry man, this post has me confused. So is my extractor looking good other than tension or does it need some fitting work?
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    I purchased one a few months ago, total pos, FTF, FTE, sold it to LGS.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henri View Post
    I purchased one a few months ago, total pos, FTF, FTE, sold it to LGS.
    I remember you posting about this. I was hoping it was a one off, cuz I wanted a 9mm plinker. I ended up with the SA-35 (springfield Hi Power). I've slowly grown to enjoy the SA-35.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast