Thread: Field Improvised Fixes, whats yours?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one: If you need flame and have only cheap empty lighters (the 3 for $1 kind), you can get quite a bit of usable flame from them after they die by removing the windcover, lifting the gas adjustment ring. Spin the ring to the left, careful not engage the plastic gear that controls the actual valve. Re-engage the gear and move the valve back to max flame position - depending on how little is left, you may have to repeat it a few times. This trick has saved my goose more than once.

Also, if you ever break or lose a hammer or trigger pin, there's a .148" nail (forgot the gauge) that, if long enough, can be used to hold your FCG together - just peen the other end off after everything is in place. It may feel sloppy, but a sloppy gun is better than no gun.

Using the plastic bag cordage trick I listed earlier, I once repaired a wooden chair for an overweight friend that inadvertently smashed it while taking a particularly hard sit. After making enough cordage from the plastic grocery bags, I rigged the chair up with it and he would brag years later that out of the four chairs that came with the dinette set, the only one that still works is the grocery bag repaired one.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

I also like to carry small cans of Sterno for instant fire. Open the top, light the Sterno and set the whole thing into the firepit. Usually works real well
    Sterno and primers can be used as an improvised distraction device: Open Sterno, use a toothpick or stick to drive primers (I used small pistol primers) in at various depths into the gel. Light Sterno... The primers will only ignite as the flame reaches them (pushing primers in deeper will give you more of a time delay). If using larger primers, you may blow all the Sterno out of the can, in which case you've just created a time-delay incendiary device.
    Last edited by Shao; 01-12-14 at 08:17.