Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Grenadier SUV

Feedback Score

Whole bunch of videos. Haven't seen a US based one yet, but that makes sense since US sales don't start till next year probably. They are taking a small deposit now for a spot in line.

Thing is going to be as slow as molasses.

Not sure on where the US prices will be.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...d-rover-redux/
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 02-09-23 at 01:37.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    US prices released, start at $71k, $79k with some stuff, $85k for a common build and $95k if you have no discipline.

https://ineosgrenadier.com/en/us/

They are finally have started to deliver in the EU, but with some issues. Electrical gremlins, and not great communication on what is wrong.

US pre-orders can start June 1, finalized by June 30th. But it looks like no more deposit money, maybe until delivery. Supposedly by the end of the year, starting in December. Though EU Delivery have been a few months late. Dealers and service centers are released with out details.

I really want a Land Crusier. This has morphed from a low-tech old-style Defender 110 replacement and become a Baby MB G-wagen. Meh. It ends up being an impressive list of parts for some legit suppliers (someone will always bitch), but it feels a bit like a parts bin car.

I wish Mahindra had done the project. It would have been right and $50k.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Are you guys boomers of the age range 50 years old + ? I can't understand how you afford this. I might pay off my mortgage really soon, and I've come along way. After being poor as **** my whole life I'm horrifically repulsed at the prospect of a loan for 80000$. There's no way I'd tackle that with any less than 7 figures in the bank.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 33XRAY View Post
    Are you guys boomers of the age range 50 years old + ? I can't understand how you afford this. I might pay off my mortgage really soon, and I've come along way. After being poor as **** my whole life I'm horrifically repulsed at the prospect of a loan for 80000$. There's no way I'd tackle that with any less than 7 figures in the bank.
    I'm 62, retired with pretty much Zero dependants and three retirements.
    I've owned one new car my whole life and other than a brief romances with a couple of Mustang GT's, I've driven a truck and I'm currently driving an immaculate Taco that's 8 years old.
    I like Cars, but I'm have too much OCD to spend 80-100K on a car.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yea, I don't understand spending that kind of cash on an unproven and new vehicle. Even more so in a harsh off road environment. Talk about being a guinea pig.

Boomers are a minimum of 58 if they haven't had a bday this year yet.

Feedback Score
    A guy on another forum for this truck ran the numbers. He may have been in Canada, where the prices are even a bit higher (inc conversion) but he points out that it is a 1% car- but that is using conservative expense income ratios. The reality is that people don’t really do that - probably not smart, but there are all kinds of cars this expensive on the road - way more than 1%.

Of course that is new car price/value. Hell a Suburban can get pricey fast, and $50k Jeeps seem bat crap crazy.

Like I said, I really want a land Crusier and drive it forever. Just found out my neighbor had one for 21 years before moving recently to a 4RUnner. She loves Toyota.

Wife and I make good money, not a lot of kids. Last new car I bought was in 2003, current one is 10 years old. I was really looking for this to be a near photocopy of the old Defenders- and that is what they touted it as, but like I said, I think the reality, especially with electrification not just coming, but mandated you can’t really just have a zombie Defender keep on living.

This ends up being about $10k more than a similar Land Rover Defender (New)- and the Land Rover has the normal modern crap.

I’ll probably let my deposit ride and see if these are going to be the new hotness, and maybe I can Flip it. Otherwise dump it at the last minute. G-wagens are sold out until 2025? I was in line for a Bronco when covid hit and I dropped that reservation when I should have kept it. They still don’t have them in stock.

New Tacoma looks interesting- Did Toyota not get the memo about simplifying the product levels? The thing looks like four different trucks.

New 4Runner info should be coming out soon, and the rumors say that a new Land Crusier will come.

I’m happy with my 10yo Tahoe size GM with less than 50k on it, but DAMN is it getting hard to park in Denver…. Son will go to college a 16 hour drive away, so I might be keep it to just run miles back and forth- for the pain in parking, it is the only way to rip out 800 miles a day.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Well, these have been shipping to the US in greater quantities now. A bunch of little one-off problems but the major complaint is that there is a ‘speed limit nanny’ that has to be turned off. It isn’t the bare-bones/simple vehicle that was touted years ago. A big issue is the lack of dealer network and they have pulled back on developing a relationship with outside shops.

I saw a post I made about this in 2021 and I think I had seen teases about it a few years before that. They are bringing in a pick-up truck and even just a ‘chassis’ truck (maybe not for here), and then a smaller EV and EV/hybrid model.

I’ve only seen one in the wild here in CO, but I don’t get out much.

Mine made landfall last month and I pick it up soon. I don’t buy a lot of new cars for me, so this is a change. Not sure how it will work out, but I’m at a stage in life that I can take a flier. Let’s hope that it is more 1993 Defender 110 NAS than Delorian. It will be my daily driver, but I work from home, so I don’t do a lot of miles.

My wife is not thrilled, but I have to say that the new 4Runners and Land Crusiers just aren’t doing it for me- though I realize that they are probably great trucks. We have a Jeep Wrangler and it is pretty good. If I were to buy anything, it would probably be a 24 last Gen 4Runner. My son has one and that is pretty neat. I was really hyped when they said that Toyota was bringing back the LandCrsuier, but they totally down-marketed it. The Lexus GX550 is interesting, but I really wanted a V8.

I got the three lockers, tow package, and the overhead electrical system. The beast is TALL- about 80 inches. Going to have to wait to see what kind of mods will allow it to still get into the garage. I also got the gimmicky L-track rail that goes on the outside.

We’ll see how it goes…

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    The GX550 is what I’m considering. The twin turbski V6 makes a lot more power than the outgoing V8 and it’s paired with a 10 speed. The Overtrail trim even has a rear locker in addition to the center Torsen (with locking), E-KDSS (disconnecting sway bars) and comes with all terrains out of the box.

The Ineos looks cool but the very detuned BMW engine and the lower torque ZF 8 speed auto leave a lot to be desired in my book. I’m afraid it will be a penalty box to drive on the highway or two lane country roads where you need to pass in short straight aways.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    The GX550 is what I’m considering. The twin turbski V6 makes a lot more power than the outgoing V8 and it’s paired with a 10 speed. The Overtrail trim even has a rear locker in addition to the center Torsen (with locking), E-KDSS (disconnecting sway bars) and comes with all terrains out of the box.

The Ineos looks cool but the very detuned BMW engine and the lower torque ZF 8 speed auto leave a lot to be desired in my book. I’m afraid it will be a penalty box to drive on the highway or two lane country roads where you need to pass in short straight aways.
    The GX is interesting, but LExus and 4x4ing don't seem to go together- at least for 1st owners, someone made a comment that the used LExus are great platforms to work with. The biggest thing is that my wife deosn't like Lexus that much, she can't articualte why. The LExus is damn fuggly though. that front end is bizzare. If they had the GX goodies in the LandCrusier, they might have gotten me.

E-KDSS is really slick, I have the 4Runner version. As to power, all these type trucks used to run on sub 200hp engines. More power is better, but it seems that current engine is 'enough'. My wife has a X5M, so that is for 'speed'. My son's 4Runner is fast enough for me. As I get older, I don't seem to value accelration as much as I used to. I do agree that if there is a weak point, it is the ZF version that they choose. The engine and transmission seem to be BMW 'export' model as it is the basis for the shared engine with Toyota. I wish they had at least used the ZF from the diesel version, which is bit more robust. I'm not going to do it, but that B58 engine can be boosted to be-jesus if you want. I drove the test car and it moves well enough, and people have reported that it has done pretty well at altitude here in CO.

Actually, a little noticed thing is the turning radius. We get spoiled by the 1/4 ton pickup based SUVs here that come from construction and towing backgrounds where some mobility is important. THe Gren is worse than the 5thgen 4Runner. The Gren is full time 4WD and my jeep and Tahoe turn better in 2wd than in 4wd.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The GX is interesting, but LExus and 4x4ing don't seem to go together- at least for 1st owners, someone made a comment that the used LExus are great platforms to work with. The biggest thing is that my wife deosn't like Lexus that much, she can't articualte why. The LExus is damn fuggly though. that front end is bizzare. If they had the GX goodies in the LandCrusier, they might have gotten me.

E-KDSS is really slick, I have the 4Runner version. As to power, all these type trucks used to run on sub 200hp engines. More power is better, but it seems that current engine is 'enough'. My wife has a X5M, so that is for 'speed'. My son's 4Runner is fast enough for me. As I get older, I don't seem to value accelration as much as I used to. I do agree that if there is a weak point, it is the ZF version that they choose. The engine and transmission seem to be BMW 'export' model as it is the basis for the shared engine with Toyota. I wish they had at least used the ZF from the diesel version, which is bit more robust. I'm not going to do it, but that B58 engine can be boosted to be-jesus if you want. I drove the test car and it moves well enough, and people have reported that it has done pretty well at altitude here in CO.

Actually, a little noticed thing is the turning radius. We get spoiled by the 1/4 ton pickup based SUVs here that come from construction and towing backgrounds where some mobility is important. THe Gren is worse than the 5thgen 4Runner. The Gren is full time 4WD and my jeep and Tahoe turn better in 2wd than in 4wd.
    I actually think the GX550 looks better than the LC. The Overtrail version anyway.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast