Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Grenadier SUV

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    There isn’t a Toyota diesel that is approved for the US. I would have loved to see the 1GR-FE from the 4Runner used. The last 70 series for the Japanese domestic market even used it.
    As good as Toyota's gas engines are, their diesels are pretty mediocre. Spotted a diesel fj70 locally and commented on it with a picture to a friend who is a long time Toyota ex service manager now engine rebuilder. Who for a while imported JDM engines and clips.

Pretty much said to stay away unless it's one of the old diesels in the BJ series.

Having owned three Land cruisers (two 55s and an 80), an FJ cruiser and still operate some xbs, and a diesel nut to boot, I like the idea of a Toyota diesel but the reality is nowhere close. I had an all mechanical diesel Isuzu trooper, and I'm told it was a much better engine. But they were all very low power relatives to MB's and Cummins.

I'm told the issue is that diesel passenger vehicles including the Land cruisers are mostly an export thing to Australia, New Zealand, and africa. Japanese domestic market passenger vehicles are nearly all gas, diesel is just not popular except for heavy trucks.

I am starting to see some diesel fj's being brought in from South America, which is nice as they are left hand drive.

Feedback Score
    I quickly priced out a stripped down Land ROver DEfender and came up at about $71K. This will be more than that.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    As good as Toyota's gas engines are, their diesels are pretty mediocre. Spotted a diesel fj70 locally and commented on it with a picture to a friend who is a long time Toyota ex service manager now engine rebuilder. Who for a while imported JDM engines and clips.

Pretty much said to stay away unless it's one of the old diesels in the BJ series.

Having owned three Land cruisers (two 55s and an 80), an FJ cruiser and still operate some xbs, and a diesel nut to boot, I like the idea of a Toyota diesel but the reality is nowhere close. I had an all mechanical diesel Isuzu trooper, and I'm told it was a much better engine. But they were all very low power relatives to MB's and Cummins.

I'm told the issue is that diesel passenger vehicles including the Land cruisers are mostly an export thing to Australia, New Zealand, and africa. Japanese domestic market passenger vehicles are nearly all gas, diesel is just not popular except for heavy trucks.

I am starting to see some diesel fj's being brought in from South America, which is nice as they are left hand drive.
    Yeah the Toyota diesels are pretty solid but I think the current V8 twin turbo diesel that Toyota puts in the current 70 series and the old 200 series wouldn’t fit in the Grenadier and would be too heavy. The non turbo 1HZ only made something like 130hp and 200lbft of torque or the turbo 1HDT with 160hp and 260lbft of torque.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It needs a top turret with a Mk19 to live up to it's namesake.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    It needs a top turret with a Mk19 to live up to it's namesake.
    Safari windows for the front seats, it’s a start.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    It’s too bad Ineos is a British company making their vehicle in France using a German engine. That is pretty much a recipe for a steaming hunk of shit.

Plus being English the head guy in charge would never consider a proper engine for his rig. How good would it be with a Ford 7.3L “Godzilla” V8, or a GM 6.6L gas V8? Nice simple overbuilt gas engines for 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Love the overall design. Cool truck. Love the design, controls, etc. Poor choice of engines. BMW?!?! No thanks- if I wanted an unreliable off-road vehicle- I’d just buy a Jeep.

I’d love to see a Toyota 3UR-FE, 2UZ-FE vvti or even a simple small block Chevy 350 in this in lieu of the German crapomatic.

What I’d really like to see is Toyota make a new FJ like this.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    It's the best that they can do and make it a world platform. You're dreaming if they'd put an 'Merican engine in it. Maybe they'd make a US spec'd engine if the market were big enough.
    Hopefully what this will do is get us a good spec 4Runner or them bringing back the Land Cruiser back. They are looking at 25K+/yr units to make. Maybe 5-10k for the US? That's just 5% of Wrangler sales. Maybe that isn't enough to get any of the big guys interested.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    https://ineosgrenadier.com/en/us/?&u...gn=Delay_comms

Just got an email that they are starting serial production, albeit slowly. What a time to try to launch a new vehicle. ROW first, US probably not until early 2024.

Don’t understand the hate for the BMW B58 engine? V8s seem like they have some issues, but the engineering on the B58 seems inherently sound…

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    They are supposedly starting to get production models out to people and they have made production models (or close to it) available to the press. Looks interesting. Funny thing is that the RHD model has issues with footwell space and wiper coverage. Not issues for our LHD models.

They are starting to have offroad driving days here in the US, in the south first, working north and should be in Colorado in April.
    I wish it had a higher spec version of the transmission, other than that it seems pretty well kitted out. Odd to see a BMW shifter.

Supposedly there is still a court case in the US about copyright infringement on the orrriginal Defender.

Don't know when US deliveries will be, but probably not until 2024, which works for me.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ineos/grenadier

Sir British Guy who owns Ineos supposedly has put $1.5 billion into it...

Selma Green, White top, 17 inch steel wheels with BF K02s please...

It's that simple.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast