PDA

View Full Version : Pmag Spring and Load?

Shihan
10-20-07, 04:42
Are you guys switching your springs out for CS springs? Also 28 or 30 in the Pmag?

KevinB
10-20-07, 06:27
I started with 28 out of habit -- I've gone to 30 for the last few months with no issues.

Using Magpuls stock spring as well.

Dave L.
10-20-07, 06:42
The CS springs will work fine in the P-Mags, but really no reason to switch out for at least 6 months, depending on how much use they get.

Dave L.
10-20-07, 06:43
I started with 28 out of habit -- I've gone to 30 for the last few months with no issues.

Using Magpuls stock spring as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Magpul design them to Hold 30...unlike the GI mags?

KevinB
10-20-07, 07:08
Yeah - I was informed of that by our trusty Magpul guys

"Kev, you dumb ass they take 30"

They do?

"uhm yeah PMAG30, maybe a hint"

you sure

"we made them that way"

no shit, I'll have to try it...

*I'm a little slow sometimes...

edit -- Drake etc where very polite - and made no such comments that I jokingly quote above -- although they should have....

Hawkeye
10-20-07, 08:23
As Kevin said, 30 rounds. Thats what they're made to take. Stock springs for me as well until time to replace.

Stickman
10-20-07, 13:16
edit -- Drake etc were very polite - and made no such comments that I jokingly quote above -- although they should have....

However, that does sound like a Drake comment.... :D

Hawkeye
10-20-07, 15:22
However, that does sound like a Drake comment.... :D

It does indeed, doesnt it. :D

Shihan
10-20-07, 19:51
Thanks guys I have been running them with 28 and just couldnt make myself put the last 2 rounds in. I guess its time to let that habit die, at least with the Pmags.

DrDrake
10-21-07, 17:06
I'm polite and professional 100% of the time you ass holes. And what KB said, 30 rounds. Will fit 31 but you'll have the same issues with 31 in a PMAG as you do with 30 in a USGI. Load em up to 30 and and give the top round a push down, should travel 5-6mm to allow insertion on a closed carrier.

As far as springs, CS were originally spec'ed on the PMAG. The CS's failed something awful on the salt spray test, they broke where the SS had zero and I mean zero corrosion.

BTW, several accounts of seven figure round counts through 02/07 PMAG's with original springs.:) I'm guessing they are a little soft now but the user (US Army) says the run great in FA and has had minimal malf's!

Hawkeye
10-21-07, 17:15
I'm a professional ass hole.

:eek: :confused:

:D

markm
10-21-07, 17:22
You guys are going to keep talking about these damned things til I buy some aren't you? :mad: :D

mmike87
10-21-07, 21:59
I absolutely have one P-mag that will not seat with 30 on a closed bolt. My other 7 do - it's just one mag. It otherwise functions perfectly.

AR15barrels
10-22-07, 12:49
You guys are going to keep talking about these damned things til I buy some aren't you? :mad: :D

What are you waiting for?

I have one that I routinely throw to the ground and stomp on it to show people how tough they are.
It's great to watch them cringe.
It usually turns them into converts... :D

markm
10-22-07, 12:52
What are you waiting for?

I already have plenty of mags. I'll probably add a few to my order next time I make a purchase from someone who stocks them.

AR15barrels
10-22-07, 12:58
I already have plenty of mags. I'll probably add a few to my order next time I make a purchase from someone who stocks them.

Once the Pmags come in, you will probably put all those other mags away in long-term storage.

Shihan
10-22-07, 13:21
I'm polite and professional 100% of the time you ass holes. And what KB said, 30 rounds. Will fit 31 but you'll have the same issues with 31 in a PMAG as you do with 30 in a USGI. Load em up to 30 and and give the top round a push down, should travel 5-6mm to allow insertion on a closed carrier.

As far as springs, CS were originally spec'ed on the PMAG. The CS's failed something awful on the salt spray test, they broke where the SS had zero and I mean zero corrosion.

BTW, several accounts of seven figure round counts through 02/07 PMAG's with original springs.:) I'm guessing they are a little soft now but the user (US Army) says the run great in FA and has had minimal malf's!

Good info thanks. In regards to the CS springs did they just rust or did they break?

Shihan
10-22-07, 13:27
Once the Pmags come in, you will probably put all those other mags away in long-term storage.

I have over 100 brand new USGI mags stashed away for a rainy day and about 35 new Pmags stashed away. Im going to start selling the USGI's and replace the stash with Pmags. Also in training and range time I only use Pmags now.

Mig
10-22-07, 13:32
I have one that I routinely throw to the ground and stomp on it to show people how tough they are.

That's interesting . . . just don't drop them on their feedlips. The mag was the 7/07 date. Magpul replaced them but I'm surprise it didn't do better.

Side view (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/Migstix/Pmag/IMG_0112.jpg)

Gunfixr
10-22-07, 13:41
I'm curious, did you load it and try it to see if it still worked?

Heavy Metal
10-22-07, 17:08
I absolutely have one P-mag that will not seat with 30 on a closed bolt. My other 7 do - it's just one mag. It otherwise functions perfectly.

What is the mould date on the side of the mag? You heard about the bad mag body exchange?

kingc
10-22-07, 17:46

PMAGS for M-Plates :D
Seriously, you should try a couple. The windows are a good feature.

DrDrake
10-22-07, 17:47
Good info thanks. In regards to the CS springs did they just rust or did they break?

Spring broke near the attachment piont to the follower.

DrDrake
10-22-07, 17:58
That's interesting . . . just don't drop them on their feedlips. The mag was the 7/07 date. Magpul replaced them but I'm surprise it didn't do better.

Side view (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/Migstix/Pmag/IMG_0112.jpg)

Wow, that is an interesting pic. Give us a call and we'll switch it out for you. How did that happen? In all of our testing the only time I saw a break like that was from 30+ feet loaded!

Shihan
10-22-07, 18:21
Spring broke near the attachment piont to the follower.

Im glad I checked before I replaced with CS springs, thanks.

Mig
10-23-07, 08:42
Wow, that is an interesting pic. Give us a call and we'll switch it out for you. How did that happen? In all of our testing the only time I saw a break like that was from 30+ feet loaded!

It was more like 5 ft loaded falling on the edge of the feedlips and Magpul already replaced them.

Here's another photo of the Back view (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/Migstix/Pmag/IMG_0113.jpg)

markm
10-23-07, 09:02
It was more like 5 ft loaded falling on the edge of the feedlips and Magpul already replaced them.

That type of fall would definitely ruin a USGI mag too. Dents on the back corners of USGI mags screws up the top round alignment and creates feeding issues.

rmecapn
10-23-07, 10:35
Im glad I checked before I replaced with CS springs, thanks.

I glad you did, too. I was seriously considering putting some Wolff springs in but I'll save the money for the PMag Ranger plates. Although, with the type of open top pouch I use and the PMag design, I'm not sure I really need RP's for these.

AR15barrels
10-23-07, 10:56
That's interesting . . . just don't drop them on their feedlips.

I routinely drop my beater Pmag on the lips when demonstrating the abuse it can handle, but I cheat and leave the protective cover on.

Shihan
10-23-07, 11:13
I routinely drop my beater Pmag on the lips when demonstrating the abuse it can handle, but I cheat and leave the protective cover on.

Im not sure if that counts lol.

Mig
10-23-07, 11:20
That type of fall would definitely ruin a USGI mag too. Dents on the back corners of USGI mags screws up the top round alignment and creates feeding issues.

I've tried the same fall (and higher) w/ USGI several times and they worked just fine, just a little banged up but functioned just fine.

When I recd the replacements, did the same thing w/ the cover on and the same breakage occurred.

KevinB
10-23-07, 14:28
I just dropped a 08/07 PMAG (tan non windowed loaded with 30 rds of Mk262) off the roof of our villa in Baghdad onto pavement lips first.

I had intially dropped it from 8 feet onto the marble floor - but decided it was not high enough.

First time from about 20 feet it bounced no issues

Second time - it spit a round of 262 out -

I will shoot it tomorrow - but the follower runs fine - and it took the 30th round back.
It shows some road rash on the lips - and will post a pick tomorrow - I'm off to bed soon.

DrDrake
10-23-07, 14:43
Good test Kevin. Awaiting pics.

Shihan
10-23-07, 17:37
I just dropped a 08/07 PMAG (tan non windowed loaded with 30 rds of Mk262) off the roof of our villa in Baghdad onto pavement lips first.

I had intially dropped it from 8 feet onto the marble floor - but decided it was not high enough.

First time from about 20 feet it bounced no issues

Second time - it spit a round of 262 out -

I will shoot it tomorrow - but the follower runs fine - and it took the 30th round back.
It shows some road rash on the lips - and will post a pick tomorrow - I'm off to bed soon.

Kevin it must be nice to drop MK262 off buildings, here if we can find any its about Zillion bucks a boz.

Shihan
10-24-07, 03:20

With the SS springs you guys used could you leave a new mag loaded indefinetly?

KevinB
10-24-07, 07:52
Update, with the pics

Pics of mag dropped last night, small hint of "roadrash"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/IMG_3522.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/IMG_3523.jpg

I did some more drops today - just to see.

Height was 22ft. Same mag as before - drop lip first.
This mag was dropped two more times today

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/IMG_3524.jpg

first drop - spit one round again.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/IMG_3525.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/IMG_3526.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/IMG_3527.jpg

second drop - spit 4 rounds - and spine cracked as seen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/IMG_3528.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/IMG_3529.jpg

Mag will now only hold 28 rds (it takes 30 then one will pop out - then the next over a few minutes)

However I found you CAN load 30rds - and place it in the mag well -and the mag well hold it together - that it feeds and cycles all 30 rds.

There is NO WAY in hell a USGI or HK "high reliability" mag will do that -- the lips would be toast - and the system worthless.

This mag (08/07) will be swapped out for a 06/07 body I had from the replacement bodies magpul sent me.

Oh and I verified that 3 more M4 lowers fit with 04-08 built PMAGS today

maybe I'm just luck ;)

Hawkeye
10-24-07, 08:12
Kev, your experiences with the mags mirrors mine.

KevinB
10-24-07, 08:40
Kevin it must be nice to drop MK262 off buildings, here if we can find any its about Zillion bucks a boz.

Its easy -- just drop by the recruiting office - or swing by BW, TC or Dyn :D

Back home I have as much trouble getting Mk262 - and frankly I'd much rather have it going to guys over here.

Gunfixr
10-26-07, 13:21
After reading all of KevinBs posts, I just can't see buying anything other than PMags. Especially when you factor in the costs. I'd have to be getting the USGI mags for about $3 apiece to make them worthwhile. With good followers already in them.

Shihan
10-26-07, 15:36
Its easy -- just drop by the recruiting office - or swing by BW, TC or Dyn :D

Back home I have as much trouble getting Mk262 - and frankly I'd much rather have it going to guys over here.

Hey Kevin im recently forced retired after 18years of service doing all of the Rambo stuff. I would go BW or one of the others but lol I dont think they will take me even though im qualified:mad: