PDA

View Full Version : AR gas block

wargasm
12-20-10, 15:18
I'm debating between installing a clamp style or set screw style gas block on my custom build. Any pros and cons?

MRBTX
12-20-10, 16:58
Gonna watch the replies on this one, my plans at this point are to use a Centurion C-4 10" rail (on the pre-order list)with the Centurion sleeved GB on my DD 16" Mid length brl.

Col_Crocs
12-20-10, 18:15
I personally prefer set screw GBs. Very secure and a pretty straight forward job with a dimpled barrel. I do prefer to pin mine though, exposed or unexposed, although usually only recommended if exposed.

William B.
12-20-10, 20:37
I personally had a clamp-on gas block that would rotate. I would stay away from them if possible.

Stik
12-21-10, 00:25
I have a VLTOR clamp on but quickly found out that with certain handguards, it does not have enough clearance to fit underneath a Troy MFR, Larue or DD Lite. It does seem to fit without touching underneath a Troy TRX Extreme, but it is real close. The only tube that it seems to have enough clearance without any chance of touching is with the JP Enterprises/VTAC tube. I have used VLTOR and YHM Steel set screw types on most all of my builds. I want to pin them eventually but I have never had any move, but I also have not run the guns hard, but at least all of them are protected by being underneath the handguards on my builds (aside from one 18" SPR w/12" tube).

With that being said, I would recommend the set screw type.

Hope this helps..

RyanB
12-21-10, 00:56
Pinned is best, set screw with the screws staked is ok though too I guess.

bp7178
12-21-10, 01:08
Pinned is the way to go.

My Troy block used set screws, and I applied some Rocksett to the screws for added insurance.

My Noveske Recon came with a gas block with a pin and a set screw. Again, I used a little Rocksett on the set screw, but that bastard isn't going anywhere.

Whatever path you choose, make sure you use heat resistant locktite on the screws, or stake them if you can. I don't know if anyone makes a took for staking has block screws. With all of the different gas blocks on the market, such an item may not be fesible.

wargasm
12-21-10, 03:31
Thanks for the replies fellas! I guess I'll stick with the set screw GB. I'm installing a VTAC fore end. I want a low profile block. So much to choose from.

Harv
12-22-10, 20:05
Only method I use to secure a GB are the two pins... everything else is a compromise I refuse to make.. GB shifts just an iota... you have a single shot...

and with how easy it is to take the FSB and grind it down to fit any rail, there is no reason not to.

kartoffel
12-22-10, 21:56
+1 Pinned. Comparing clamped vs. set screw is a fair discussion, but it's ignoring the superior method.