PDA

View Full Version : Question for the automotive guys...

Slater
09-15-17, 13:35
I'm driving a 2004 Ford Ranger that's currently at 180,000 miles. Runs fine and doesn't leak anything. Within the last year or so though. it has been using more oil than normal which I've chalked up to it's age. I've been using the factory-recommended 5W-20 for it's entire life, but a friend said that I might consider bumping that to 5W-30 to possibly slow oil consumption. Thoughts?

HeruMew
09-15-17, 13:41
I switched my 2003 redezvous from 20 to 30 and it gained a tick until I switched back. My vehicle also suggest 0 weight for hard winters too though.

I had a 95 chevy i heavied the oil on and it stopped burning a ton o oil, but it was a damn run down and was at 290k when I did that.

Best of luck, I have heard of that method, but through my own personal experiences, the vehicle/engine matters.

wildcard600
09-15-17, 13:46
Its worth a try. I would check/replace your PCV system if you already haven't. If crankcase pressure isn't being allowed to vent properly it can cause oil to be forced past the oil control rings and the engine will use oil.

MegademiC
09-15-17, 20:35
Try some High mileage oil.
I fed my acura almost nothing but the valvaline maxlife from 150k to 230k. It just started leaking oil externally for a few months until the transmission crapped out.

Supposedly the oil had additives to reduce small leaks.

An Undocumented Worker
09-15-17, 20:48
I second the check the PCV system. Also it won't hurt at all to run 5w30.

Leaveammoforme
09-15-17, 20:49
What is considered "Excessive Oil Use" is actually more "excessive" than most people assume. If you're not using more than a quart every 1000 miles, just top it off with the correct viscosity (Especially important in a 5/20 motor).

Actual mechanical repairs are needed if you're using more than a quart every 1000 miles. No "Miracle in a bottle".

As mentioned checking the PCV system is a quick easy check. Excessive oil use will eventually cause other issues that range from secondary ignition to catalytic converter problems.