PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to the Supressor Manufacturer

CarlosDJackal
03-24-13, 19:14
I need to ship my .22LR Suppressor back to the manufacturer and was wondering if anyone knew if I have to do this via Class 3 Dealer or I can do this myself using UPS or FedEx? Also, can they ship the can directly back to me? TIA.

rushca01
03-24-13, 19:29
I need to ship my .22LR Suppressor back to the manufacturer and was wondering if anyone knew if I have to do this via Class 3 Dealer or I can do this myself using UPS or FedEx? Also, can they ship the can directly back to me? TIA.

I had to ship a can back to gemtech once. They asked me to email a copy of my form 4, they sent me a shipping label and I mailed it directly to them and they mailed it directly back to me.

CoryCop25
03-24-13, 19:46
I received a shipping label and sent it direct to the factory. Received it back in two weeks signature required.

RyanB
03-24-13, 20:06
I shipped my via USPS.

ginarik
03-24-13, 21:38
I just sent mine through UPS. Picked up a couple weeks later at UPS with a signature required.

Iraqgunz
03-24-13, 21:49
No need to involve a dealer and add more ingredients to the mix.

markm
03-25-13, 09:31
You need to include a picture of your examiner in the package. I don't make up the rules... It is what it is. :eek:

jack crab
03-25-13, 11:57
From the NFA Handbook:

"Section 9.5 Conveyances of NFA firearms not treated as “transfers” under the NFA

9.5.1 Repair of firearms. ATF does not consider the temporary conveyance of an NFA firearm to an FFL for repair to be a “transfer” under the NFA. Thus, a transfer application is not required to convey the firearm for repair or to return the repaired fire arm to its owner/possessor. Nevertheless, in order to avoid any appearance that a “transfer” has taken place, ATF recommends that a Form 5 application be submitted for approval prior to conveying the firearm for repair. It is also recommended that the FFL making repairs obtain an approved Form 5 to return a repaired firearm. If Forms 5 are not used to convey a firearm for repair or return the repaired firearm to the owner, the parties should maintain documentation showing that the conveyance was for purposes of repair, identifying the firearm, and showing the anticipated time for repair. Approved Forms 5, or the recommended documentation, will show that an unlawful “transfer” did not take place and that the FFL making the repairs is not in
unlawful possession of the firearm. A non-FFL who proposes to transport a destructive device, machinegun, or short-barrel shotgun or rifle interstate to an FFL for repair should first obtain an approved ATF Form 5320.20 before transporting the firearm.

9.5.1.1 Repair of firearm silencers.
ATF published FAQs on April 17, 2008, regarding the repair and replacement of silencers and silencer components. These FAQs are published on the ATF website and are included in Appendix B. "

The Gem-Tech FAQs address returns for repairs. They have a form letter to use in place of a Form 5. They recommend shipping via a traceable/trackable carrier. Maybe check with your repair shop to see if they prefer UPS over FedEx.