PDA

View Full Version : Mid Length or carbine 14.5 With A1 Upper

ffhounddog
05-26-12, 08:54
I was thinking of making a Gun like my First M4 a Guu-5p and started playing with numbers on prices. I just loved shooting the GUU-5p and took it with me on my first deployment (I was Air Force and not Army at the time). After that it was all Colt M4s. I can get a 16 inch M4 barrel assembly for $200 (FN), 14.5 inch M4 barrel assembly ($195 for used colt and $210 for new FN but 14.7 inch), or mid length at 16 inches the price I am looking at $260 for cold hammer forged (It is in stock or friend price for a new BCM CHF barrel assembly he wants $280 he replaced it witha 14.5 lightweight BCM barrel). Started playing with numbers and the 14.5 inch with perm attached would add $30-$50 dollars without the muzzle device. If I go 14.7 then I can use my colt A2 muzzledevice. If I go 16 inch carbine or Middy it gets a A2.

I took out my 14.5 Daniel Defense with G5 mount and my Spikes standard Middy and the 14.5 is roughly half inch (guys eye balls so I see everything bigger) longer than my 14.5 with G5 mount.

I know Irons the longer sight radius would help and my fiance is liking my 6920 (standard 16 inch) over the Spikes Middy. She says it handles better for her. I know when I go to the range I grab the 6920 or 14.5 M6A1 LWRC over the others. All my carbines are set the same way my midlength is not. I think it is because I have used those two guns in my last 10 of my last 11 training courses. I used my DD lightweight Carbine sometime last year.

I traded one of my handguns for a Colt 6601 and I shot more iron sights the past two months that I replaced my CompM2 on my 5.45 ar with Iron sights to plink with it. Also one of my friends needed the a Aimpoint for a duty gun and it was the only Aimpoint I had on me at the time since i was not at home. Have not sighted in a old compM2 that has been all around and back again.

I have mid length and carbine handguards, I have a colt 4 position stock with old Colt carbine stock I have the 604 upper (slick side upper), Delta Ring, 7075 forged charging handle, Colt BCG, Only thing I need is the barrel assembly and gas tube. Tube will come local I have both around. Lower is assembled ready to go.

I know Irons are reduced capability but after shooting with Aimpoints and Leupold 1.5-5x and 1-6x I really need to keep up with Irons. I just had myself issued a M16A2 since I am the det commander and we do not have enough M4s for all our people who would be outside the wire (I am also issued a M9). I might have enought M4s in 2-3 years.

I think I answeared my own question
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c68/ffhounddog/145withpermFlashHiderand16inchMiddy.jpg