Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck on a couple of choices, Spikes or DS Arms

Feedback Score

Stuck on a couple of choices, Spikes or DS Arms

Over the past few months I have been looking at buying another AR. My current AR is a Bushmaster XM15 made back during the assault rifle ban. After doing a good bit of research I have narrowed down my choices to a Spikes or a DS Arms.

Spikes - makes a great rifle, is mil-spec, people love it.

DS Arms - known more for its FN/FAL then its AR-15s.

The thing is, I have a DS Arms FN/FAL. The fit and finish is great, the rifle shoots fantastic, nice groups at 100 yards,,,.

Both the DS Arms and Spikes have a lifetime warranty.

Due to my experience with DS Arms, I would like to continue to give them my business. The thing is, the DS AR-15 does not get as much love from the AR community as a Spikes.

Looking at some of the specs of the DSA AR-15, it may not be fully mil-spec. But then again, does someone need a "fully" mil-spec rifle? The last time I looked, my backyard was not a battlefield.

The rifle is mostly going to be used for target shooting, home and personal protection. I live on the gulf coast in a Hurricane prone area. When a hurricane passes though, I would like to have a rifle I can rely on to protect my home and family. During Hurricane Ike and Rita there were no problems around here. But I like to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Buying the DS Arms AR-15 could save me around $200. If I buy a Spikes, could I expect $200 in higher quality over the DSA?

I do not mind spending the extra money on a Spikes. My choices are along the lines of I have experience with DS Arms, and no experience with Spikes. If I am happy with a product, its kinda difficult to change brands.
    Last edited by ~kev~; 01-20-12 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    How much money are we talking about, exactly?

You're not going to get a lot of love on this forum for asking about low quality weapons.

One of the problems, is that what do you do when stuff doesn't work and you have to fix them? And the price of shipping stuff back and forth gets expensive, quick.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    How much money are we talking about, exactly?
    Lets say in the $1,000 price range, plus or minus a little bit.

The Spikes I am looking at is the ST-15 16" Mid-Length LE Carbine

The DS Arms is the DSA ZM4 Mid-Length Carbine

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6920

Here ya go!

You're welcome.

For $100 more (and its in stock):

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=6920MP

Just curious though: You said "After a good bit of research". Where exactly did you do this research?
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-20-12 at 09:34.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Ill echo what 120mm said. Avoid both if possible, at that price point you are well within range for a more reputable manufacturer; Colt, BCM. Plus it looks as though there will be some nice offerings post SHOT. But if you are locked between the two, you can toss DSA out the window.

16 Inch 5.56mm NATO Parkerized Chrome Moly 1:9 Twist ZM-4 Mid-Length Fluted Barrel <-- this is disco
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score

Both the above builds came in under $950. The DD is 14.5" mid length and the BCM BFH is a 16" mid length.

Both are dead nuts reliable and I fully expect them to last a lifetime, subject to normal maintenance.

I regret cheaping out in prior builds/ARs. I do not regret buying quality this time.

Feedback Score
    colt is absolutely out of the question. I will do my best to never buy a colt product ever again.

Do yall remember when colt stopped selling their products to the public a few years ago? If I was not good enough to buy a colt product then, they do not need my money now.

So it would be better to go with a Spikes then with a DS Arms?

Feedback Score
    I'd go with Spikes over DSARMS.

Spikes customer service is light years ahead of DSA.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In the decision between DS Arms and Spike's, I'll go with what I've always done and choose BCM.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Just curious though: You said "After a good bit of research". Where exactly did you do this research?
    Google, ar15.com, m4carbine,,,, various other gun forums.

My first 2 choices were between BCM and Spikes. From what I have read, people rank BCM and Spikes right in with each other.

When 2 products are ranked with each other, I can not justify spending extra money on a given product.

A lot of people suggesting BCM. Once a certain price point is reached, I have to be able to justify the extra cost with extra quality. If I buy a BCM, can I expect BCM to be superior to a Spikes?
    Last edited by ~kev~; 01-20-12 at 09:47.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast