Thread: FLETC bans the SERPA!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

FLETC bans the SERPA!

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...6120086563/p/3

Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:24 AM
    Subject: Fw: ADVISORY Blackhawk SERPA Holster

FYI - FLETC and many OIGs have discontinued the use of the Blackhawk SERPA

Subject: FW: Officer Safety Bulletin: Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System Holster

A CITP student accidentally discharged his weapon into his thigh at FLETC/Glynco last week. He had purchased a Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System holster and was using it for the first time. In October of this year, an agent shot himself in the buttocks during a staff qualification at FLETC Cheltenham using a Blackhawk SERPA. USAF OSI has prohibited their personnel from purchasing or carrying this holster.

The below notice was disseminated last week to all 1811s in HHS OIG, and they have given me permission to share it with the IG community's 1811 population.

SPECIAL BULLETIN
    National Training and Emergency Operations Branch
    Officer Safety Bulletin

Good Afternoon,

In our efforts to continually stay abreast of issues relating to officer safety, the National Training and Emergency Operations Branch (NTEOB) routinely evaluates the law enforcement equipment issued to or carried by OI personnel.

Recently, one such piece of equipment, the Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System holster, has come under scrutiny due to safety concerns involving the design of its retention safety device. There have been several recent documented cases, involving law enforcement and civilian personnel, where unintentional discharges have occurred while weapons were being drawn from this holster. Many of these unintentional discharges have resulted in gunshot injuries to the officers/agents involved.

The SERPA is one of the only holster system designed to use the trigger finger to release the retention safety device. This method of releasing the safety device is contrary to our training methods and techniques, which emphasize attacking the holster from the "top down." In addition, this retention system is completely different from the standard thumb-break holsters currently issued by OI. While it is true that one of the Cardinal Rules of firearms safety was violated by the individual placing his or her finger on the trigger before they were ready to shoot, we believe that the design of the SERPA holster facilitates this action by engaging the trigger finger well before the individual is prepared to shoot.

In light of these events and in accordance with OI policy, specifically Part 2, Section 2, Subsection IV B, NTEOB is suspending all use of the Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System holster by OI agents acting in an official, on-duty capacity. NTEOB will thoroughly research and evaluate the safety and effectiveness of this holster system and report on its findings.

In the meantime, those agents who may be affected by this safety bulletin should be directed to utilize their standard agency-issued holster to secure their weapon on their person. As a reminder, new standard issue holsters were previously issued to all OI 1811s. This is the recommended holster system. Should agents wish to purchase a holster, they should be informed that all holsters have to be approved by National Firearms Coordinator/NTEOB, as per policy.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and cooperation.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 01-09-12 at 20:57.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Excellent! There are far better comparable holsters which are far safer....such as the Safariland ALS.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    i just crapped a cat.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    Thank God. I wonder how Blackhawk will respond to this.

BTW, calling it Flea-Tech is accurate. There was a major bedbug problem when I went through several years ago, and the ticks out in the woods during field ops are really bad too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the thigh.

It is definitely a step in the right direction; however, I recently saw some other investigative agencies at FLETC still using the SERPA. For some reason, most of these federal agencies tend to be behind the power curve when it comes to firearms equipment. The only agency I have seen using the Safariland ALS is the U.S. Marshals Service

Microalign, I have not run into the fleas or ticks yet, but these sand gnats are vicious.
    "Those who fight monsters should take care that they never become one. For when you stand and look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."
    ~ Frederich Nietzsche

Remington 870 LE, Glock, and AR-15/M16 Armorer
    NRA Firearms Instructor: Basic Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun
    NRA LE Instructor: Patrol Rifle
    USPSA TY58905 "C" Class Production

Feedback Score
    I've got one for a Walther P99. I hadn't heard of these Serpa AD until recently. Somewhere along the line didn't they modify these with a deeper finger channel?

I guess if I continue to use the P99 in the Serpa I'll carry uncocked. A lot of guns don't give you that option.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microalign View Post
    Thank God. I wonder how Blackhawk will respond to this.

BTW, calling it Flea-Tech is accurate. There was a major bedbug problem when I went through several years ago, and the ticks out in the woods during field ops are really bad too.
    You must have been stuck in the crack houses. I didn't have any bug problems in the Taj.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHorseman View Post
    It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the thigh.

It is definitely a step in the right direction; however, I recently saw some other investigative agencies at FLETC still using the SERPA. For some reason, most of these federal agencies tend to be behind the power curve when it comes to firearms equipment. The only agency I have seen using the Safariland ALS is the U.S. Marshals Service

Microalign, I have not run into the fleas or ticks yet, but these sand gnats are vicious.
    The little bastards are impervious to any kind of bug repellent, too. Any more Max Deet and I think my skin would have melted off. Didn't seem to bother the sand gnats, though.

ETA - Oh, and to keep this on track I hope the CITP student is doing well. I can only imagine the circus that caused. Glad FLETC has taken the initiative. I wonder how long it will take to trickle down to through all the agencies.
    Last edited by .45fmjoe; 01-09-12 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    I've got one for a Walther P99. I hadn't heard of these Serpa AD until recently. Somewhere along the line didn't they modify these with a deeper finger channel?

I guess if I continue to use the P99 in the Serpa I'll carry uncocked. A lot of guns don't give you that option.

Why teach yourself a bad firearms handling habit for the sake of continuing to use a $30 holster?
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Finally, a government backing on not allowing the serpa!

I was fortunate enough to not have anyone in my class use a serpa during FITP. Most, if not all, used leather holsters with and without retention. I think there was one agent that used a 6004 along with me unless the drill/exerciser/scenario called for concealment. They even thought I couldn't make the time constraint on the initial qual even though I'm pretty sure the qual times were to accommodate a revolver?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast