Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What .223 for hogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What .223 for hogs.

Im going to my uncle's ranch early next year for some hog hunting. My main rifle will be a bolt .308 but Im taking my Colt for times when we are in the brush. What load would be good for hogs that avearge about 130-150 lbs? Do you guys think Mk318 would work good?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    -- Federal 55 or 62 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bonded JSP
    -- Winchester 64 gr solid base bonded JSP (Q3313/RA556B)
    -- Remington 62 gr Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded JSP (PRC223R4)
    -- Swift 75 gr Scirocco bonded PT
    -- Speer 55 or 64 gr Gold Dot JSP (and identically constructed Federal 62 gr Fusion JSP and Federal XM223SP1 62gr Bonded JSP)
    -- Nosler 60 gr Partition JSP
    -- Barnes all copper TSX bullets, probably the 70 gr version is best for your needs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    subscribed.
    A couple buddies and myself are planning a trip down Texas way for some hogs in the spring. We all have ar-15's and this thread I'm sure will provide some decent ammo choices.
    OEF X-XI

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Black Hills 69 grain BTHP

I killed the last several pigs in my pasture with Black Hills 69 grain BTHPs. Shoot them in heart/lung, does the job. Blood loss is adequate to quickly cause shock and drop them, they don't go far.

Sometimes I use 75 grain BTHP, I just bought a box of Barnes 62 grain to try.

As soon as my 7.62 SDN6 suppressor transfer is approved, I plan to try a SBR .300 blackout and see how well it works.

I would advise a bigger caliber than 5.56 if this is a special hunt you're paying for or if it will be tough to make a decent shot under 100 yards.

I have dozens of black rifles, both carbine 5.56 & battle rifle .308. I've killed more hogs & deer with my Marlin 30-30 than all of the rest put together. Practice a lot of very quick target aquisition shots (simulate short stops like a rooting hog does) because shot placement is key to killing versus wounding. I practice on clay pigeons (black side) set on a sand pile, it's about the right size kill zone and you know when you hit it. Prior to hunting, look at a diagram of where the heart/lung is on a standing hog if you've never butchered one so you know where to aim at. It's the third shirt button from the top

I have switched to the AR15 with night vision, easier than holding 30-30 in one hand and spotlight in other.

good luck,
    RFA
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 11-29-11 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

556 on hogs

about two months ago myself and some buddies went to Florida hog hunting. 556 AR's were the predominate rifle for the group. I shot four with 64 grain gold dot, a few were shot with MK 262, and one or two with 50 grain TSX loaded by Black Hills.

All worked well. shots as i recall were from two meters to just over a hundred meters. All worked well.

Regards
    Big Pepsi

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have Killed a ton of Hogs with Winchester 64gr Power Point. Most were with a Colt 14.5" upper. Most shoots were under 100 yards.

Feedback Score
    Hornady TAP. Head or neck shots and they are DRT

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine has hunted deer, and hogs both in the Us, and New Zeland using both Federal TBBC, and Barnes 62gr loads in his Mini-14. He has yet to lose an animal, and tries to keep his shots under 125yds or so. Since he lives in California he has switched exclusively to the 62gr barnes load since the 70gr bullet won't stabilize in the 1:9 twist barrel of the Mini-14.

As with any thing proper shot placement is the key. Hogs have their vitals set a bit farther forward than deer so a shot that would double lung a deer hits liver, and guts on a pig.

I personally prefer a larger caliber for pigs like 6.8 SPC or .308, but if shot placement is correct with a good bullet like Barnes .223 will work just fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I should point out that this hunt isnt something Im spending a lot of money on. Im spending some time at the ranch and the hog hunt will be for pest/population control for my uncle's farmer neighbors.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've used Hornady TAP (NATO pressure) 75gr T1C otm rounds with great effect on feral hogs in FL. All shots were under 110 yards. All shots but one were DRT (literally, just took a dirt nap). The one that wasn't, the hog was running and only made it about 20 feet before collapsing.

Due tot he resilient physiology that hogs have, the 75gr otm is prolly not the most optimal bullet to use, but it's worked quite well for me. Doc's advice is always great and tends to be the final word on thing as he speaker from volumes of research and personal experience. He won't steer you wrong.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast