Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Viper HS 1-4x24mm Review

Feedback Score

Vortex Viper HS 1-4x24mm Review

Vortex Viper HS 1-4x24 Optic
    I don't know who was the first manufacturer to produce a lightweight, low-powered variable optic. Regardless of who was the first, there are now several companies that offer lightweight optics in the 1-4 magnification range - a few that come to mind: Schmidt & Bender Short Dot, Leupold CQBSS, Trijicon Accupoint and US Optics SN-4S. These manufacturers are known for producing high quality, durable scopes that you can take into combat. They aren't cheap however, ranging from $700 on the low end (Accupoint) to $3700 on the high end (CQBSS).

Vortex Optics, a family-owned company based in Middleton, WI has been around since 1986, but in the last few years, they have expanded their product line and experienced a surge in popularity among hunters and target shooters, offering scopes with high-end glass in their Viper line and above.

Of those new offerings is the Viper HS and the Viper PST, 1-4x24mm. Vortex offers a nice discount for military/law enforcement personnel, but when I dropped by their storefront to procure one, I was told these very popular scopes are back-ordered about two months. I was able to find an HS in stock at Brownell's for $440. I mounted it to my rifle with a 30mm LaRue SPR-E (extended eye relief) mount as I generally shoot my ARs nose to charging handle. Quick release levers are a must for an optic like this on a duty rifle, should anything happen to the glass that would make it impossible to see through. For now, this is being used only as a 3-gun rifle, otherwise I would certainly have BUIS mounted as well.

The lenses in the Viper line of scopes are fully multi-coated, extra-low dispersion glass. Extra-low dispersion lenses are generally something only found in higher-end optics, usually costing several hundred dollars more than the Vortex Vipers. This leads to excellent color quality, high resolution, minimal distortion, and high light transmission. I spent some time this week still-hunting for deer with this rifle, and was impressed with how bright the images were in dark, pine forests, or at dusk. The optic is waterproof and filled with Argon gas, guaranteed not to fog.

The difference between the HS and PST is the PST has exposed target turrets, whereas the HS has capped turrets. The HS features 1/2 MOA turrets that click crisply when turned. Personally, I don't believe exposed target turrets are really a necessity on this type of optic - I think in a combat environment, you'd be faster and better served simply knowing your holdovers and using the reticle subtensions. I generally leave the turrets capped so they don't get moved accidentally, but they are there if you want them. The HS turrets also have a convenient quick-zero feature, allowing you to adjust your zero without having to dink around with set screws to remove the turrets.

The magnification ring is marked with several power settings, as well as a "reticle multiplier," which provides an integer to allow calculation for bullet drop or range while using the reticle subtensions at different powers. Again, something I will probably never use, but it's a thoughtful feature that doesn't add weight or take up space. Another nifty feature is the raised magnification indicators - visible without having to move your head from behind the rifle. A fiber optic rod makes it easy to see your magnification setting. I found the ring itself to be a little stiff to adjust - especially while wearing gloves. Good that it will stay put, but not especially fast. I added an MGM throw-lever which is fairly low-profile, and makes changing the magnification on the optic much faster.

The reticle is a simple MOA scale, marked in 2 MOA increments, with a one MOA dot in the center. Surrounding the center dot are four semi-circles, which form a ring 22 MOA wide. This provides a precise aiming point for long range, or precision shooting, but is also extremely fast on close targets. It has everything you need - and nothing you don't, which leads to a simple, uncluttered view.

Close up of reticle (100 yards, 4x magnification, camera zoomed in)

IPSC target at 100 yards, 1x magnification
    One note about the photos - with proper eye relief, the tube does not appear to be so thick.
    That effect is simply from me failing to maintain proper eye-relief with the camera.

IPSC target at 100 yards, 4x magnification

The illumination control has 10 settings, with an off position between each brightness level. Levels 1-5 are for use with night vision, 6-10 provide illumination for the naked eye. The reticle is powered by one, CR2032 battery. I have not had the opportunity to test battery life.

My biggest complaint, which is the complaint I have with really all of the optics in this class is the maximum brightness setting is simply not bright enough to see on a sunny day. It more than capable of performing in low light condition and overcast skies, but when the sun peeks out, forget it. Of course, you still have the the black reticle, which works well without illumination - so long as your targets are not all black. That said, if Vortex were able to add brighter illumination to the center dot and/or reticle "rings" - in line with an Aimpoint or EoTech RDS, this optic would be unstoppable. For now, the illuminated reticle is similar to that you'd find on a traditional sniper scope.

IPSC target at 10 yards, 1x magnification, illumination setting 10

IPSC target at 100 yards, 1x magnification, illumination setting 10

When putting rounds downrange, I found the optic to be more than adequate to locate and engage targets up to 500m away. At that range, I was limited only by the weapon platform and the 55gn ball ammo I was shooting. The MOA subtensions made holdovers easy once I figured my dope, and while I still question their real-world practicality, on the flat range the target turrets made for easy, first-shot hits on 12" plates out to 400m. After dozens of adjustments, the turrets always returned my 100 yard zero dead-on. The parallax is non-adjustable and fixed at 100 yards, so carefully centering the reticle in the tube is important when engaging targets at long range.

Up close, the optic provided easy target acquisition and transitions. The 22 MOA circle was easy to pick up when blazing from target to target. I didn't notice any distortion or fish-eye effects and was able to shoot with both eyes open without much adjustment from a traditional red dot sight. Unlike red dot sights, where the red dot is "focused" on infinity, it is possible to let your eye focus on the reticle and not the target at close range. You need to spend some time shooting any new optic before you deploy it in the field, and this is no exception. On 1x magnification, it is similar, though not identical to the feel of a red dot. I also found that mounting your scope in a position to provide a consistent cheek weld and eye-relief is extremely helpful - again, why I chose the LaRue SPR-E mount and shoot nose-to-charging handle.

IPSC target at 10 yards, 1x magnification

Overall, I am really impressed with this optic. It combines high quality glass with well thought out features and an unequaled warranty at an excellent value. Aside from the lack of higher illumination settings, the Vortex Viper 1-4x24 HS can do everything a red dot sight and a magnifier can do - and more - in a lighter, slimmer package.

For now, it will remain on my three-gun rifle, and available for home defense. Owning a rural property bring forth the possibility of needing a flexible long gun for both close quarters as well as longer-range shooting, and I think this optic will cover those bases. I'm very demanding of my work equipment, and wouldn't hesitate to put this optic on a duty rifle, should our department make the necessary policy changes to allow variable-powered optics. Several snipers on my department have been given permission to mount the Viper 1-4x24 PST on their AR-15s, should they need a little extra reach in a patrol environment.

http://dakotalawdog.blogspot.com/201...x24-optic.html
    Last edited by dakotalawdog; 11-30-11 at 11:48.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for the review.

I had a Vortex PST Mil/mil 1-4x about 3 months ago. I really liked the optic but my main complaint with it was that the reticle was really small.

Like...really really small. It was not impossible to make out the different mildots for an effective hold over but it was still smaller than I would have liked it.

Did you notice anything like this?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    I think that is a fair assessment. Other optics do have larger marks for bullet drop / hold overs, so on longer range targets you probably won't be as quick finding the right hash mark as some other scopes. On the other end of the spectrum, there are 1-4x optics which have no ranging/BDC marks at all.

I think it comes down to personal preference, and what kind of shooting you'll be doing.

I don't bother with the reticle unless I have a very small target, or am over 300 yards, but I'm used to shooting that with a 1MOA red dot. At 300y, M193 drops about 12" with a 100y zero. 400y drop is about 30", 500y about 60" I think. When you start shooting 10" plates at 400, yeah, I think the reticle is nice to have.

I think its a compromise, leaning more towards the minimalist-end, which may or may not be good for what you do.

Feedback Score

review

I'm set on a similar setup, How's the Illumination on a bright day against snow?
    Last edited by Travelingchild; 12-02-11 at 22:51.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Thank you for the great review!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    I'm set on a similar setup, How's the Illumination on a bright day against snow?
    The PST's illumination is very weak and washes out in bright sunlight, especially against bright backgrounds.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nice review. Sounds like a great "bang for the buck" type of optic in the 1-4X range.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    The PST's illumination is very weak and washes out in bright sunlight, especially against bright backgrounds.
    not according to that pic on a white target...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    The pictures are on a cloudy or overcast day. In bright sunlight on a bright background, the illumination washes out. Take a look at pictures from various reviews on the net.

From ths OP's comments above, "My biggest complaint, which is the complaint I have with really all of the optics in this class is the maximum brightness setting is simply not bright enough to see on a sunny day. It more than capable of performing in low light condition and overcast skies, but when the sun peeks out, forget it."
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 12-05-11 at 13:39.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    The SWFA has the same problem on bright sunny days. You can't go by performance on gloomy days and say the illumination is enough. If daylight visible illumination is not important to you then this is fine. I own a Vortex 4-16 FFP and its a good value but its not daylight bright either.
    The only scopes with good daylight bright reticles are.
    1. S&B short dot
    2. Swarovski Z6i
    3. Meopta
    4. Trijicon TR24
    5. Elcan Spectar.
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 12-06-11 at 12:22.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast