Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished fighting carbine + stippling!!

Feedback Score

Finished fighting carbine + stippling!!

Well, I've come quite a ways since I found this website. Started with a RRA LAR-15 mid-length HBAR with a $100 Bushnell red dot sight in a cheap junk single mount. It was a good learning platform and was really a nice rifle. But, after gaining a wealth of knowledge here, I sold it along with a few other guns that I felt didn't suit my needs, and took that money to fund this project.

I wanted to build a carbine with 2 goals in mind: Keeping it as light as possible, and keeping it simple and durable. I wanted a carbine/parts that would last a long time if, for some reason, I couldn't easily acquire spare parts. So: Lightweight, Durable, Simple, and Ergonomic.

Specs:

Upper: BCM BFH 16" Midlength LW w/ gunfighter mod 5 CH and FSP
    BCG: LMT F/A carrier w/ Enhanced bolt
    Troy BUIS
    Aimpoint Micro H1 in Larue Tactical absolute co-witness QD mount
    Magpul MOE handguard w/ MVG cut and stippled and a rail section on the opposite side for my Surefire X300
    PWS FSC-556 comp

Lower: LMT Defender 2000 w/ 2 stage trigger
    Magpul: MIAD grip stippled, trigger guard, BAD lever, and CTR Milspec stock
    VCAS sling

I'm not sure which buffer came with my LMT lower; it has no markings..

I want to say I weighed it once upon a time as-is, minus magazine, and it weighed 6lbs 4 oz, but I could be wrong. I don't have a scale to weigh it here now, but I'll see if I can find something soon so I can have the official weight.

This thing is a shooter! I can't believe how accurate it is! No official accuracy data yet, but I am consistently shooting about ~4" 5 shot groups at 100yds, and like 1.5"-2" 5 shot groups at 50yds with irons and the aimpoint. And I've only put about 500 or so rounds through it but every one of those were trouble free. It's very soft shooting and handles very easily with the lightweight hammer forged barrel and minimal haundguard clutter. Looking forward to getting some more rounds through her as funds and time allow..

And now the good part:

Attachment 10136

Attachment 10137

Attachment 10138

And the stippling I did on my M&Ps

Attachment 10139

Attachment 10140
    "Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valor, and be in readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar"! - Winston Churchill,1940

Feedback Score
    Is that foregrip a factory piece or did you cut it down to that length/angle?

Also, LOVE the FDE M&P. That's been one of my favorite pistols (cosmetically) for a while now. I'd like to pick one up eventually, but I have other priorities at the moment. Maybe some day!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks and specs are almost identical to where I want to get my Fighter.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    OP,

If your buffer is plain then it is a carbine buffer. After that they will be marked H, H2, H3.

You should be able to run an H buffer with no issues on that set up.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpaznatica View Post
    Is that foregrip a factory piece or did you cut it down to that length/angle?

Also, LOVE the FDE M&P. That's been one of my favorite pistols (cosmetically) for a while now. I'd like to pick one up eventually, but I have other priorities at the moment. Maybe some day!
    Looks like an MOE cut down and stippled
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Op, how do you like the Larue absolute mount??
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies.

@Scorpaznatica: Yes, it is a Magpul MOE vertical grip that I cut down at an angle (I don't "grab" it; more of a handstop) and stippled. I love how it turned out; it fits my grip perfectly (Magpul-ish style grip) and is pretty low profile and definitely lightweight.

@Iraqgunz: Thanks for the clarification. It's running great so far, but are you suggesting that I replace it with an H? Would I be able to tell a difference when shooting it?

@Loganp: I love the absolute mount (never had a 1/3 BTW, so nothing really to compare to). I know most of the more popular trainers (Costa, Haley, etc) use the 1/3 mount with the Micro, but my reasoning for going with the absolute is for consistency of cheek weld. I know that even on the 1/3, your dot and irons will be the same height, but I didn't want to get used to having more of a "heads-up" cheek weld with the higher mount, then have to get lower on the stock to use my irons. It's not much of a difference, but I also read somewhere on here that running the 1/3 mount with a Micro can make it difficult to get a good sight picture with your irons, due to the small tube (idk, never looked through this setup). The thing I like most about the absolute mount is the tube diameter is roughly the size of the large aperture, so if Murphy decided to up and eff me in the middle of a firefight and my Aimpoint takes a dump, looking through a blank Micro is very similar to having my rear BUIS up. YMMV.

Thanks again.
    "Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valor, and be in readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar"! - Winston Churchill,1940

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by futureAT View Post
    @Iraqgunz: Thanks for the clarification. It's running great so far, but are you suggesting that I replace it with an H? Would I be able to tell a difference when shooting it?
    Not to speak for Gunz... but YES!

There's almost NO gun that's optimal with the plain old carbine buffer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think you just sold me on the mount. I think I'll have to get the t-1/absolute mount package from Larue....

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely look into trying out an H buffer. And even though my experience with red dot style optics is limited (older Eotech 512 (reticle looked fuzzy and pixelated, YMMV), Bushnell Red Dot 1x 28mm Red/Green Dot [730135] (worked alright for a plinking setup; never really had issues), and my current Aimpoint Micro H-1 in the Larue absolute QD mount (can't picture much of a better RDS setup; plus amazing battery life!), I personally would be hesitant to spend my money on anything other than Aimpoint products for RDS applications.

Hope this helps if someone is on the fence about jumping on the Micro bandwagon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast