Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mec Gar Plus 2 extension For M&P Compact.

Feedback Score

Mec Gar Plus 2 extension For M&P Compact.

Well I wanted to put some info on these out there since there is little about them. I received two Mecgar plus 2 extension from G&R. These are for the full size guns but will work for the compacts also in 9mm, 40s&w, .357 sig. I am completely happy with the end product. I added two rounds of 40 S&W while keeping the same size as the factory finger extension. If I had a 9mm I feel that the extension would give you 3 extra rounds. The mag extensions fit perfect, drop free and lock the slide back 100% of the time so far with factory springs. They match the grip of the gun very close but just a tad bit off. Range test yesterday included 146 rounds. They were each 100% with Federal 96 rounds of 180 grain walmart ammo, and 50 speer gold dot HP 180 grain. Hope this helps anyone interested in these extensions. Thank you Grant!
    Pics of the mags and components.

Last edited by KentuckyWindage; 10-21-11 at 11:38.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Is it just an extension or does it include a new mag spring? I've always wondered about the long term durability of mag extensions and their effect on the magazine spring with constant use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rdm View Post
    Is it just an extension or does it include a new mag spring? I've always wondered about the long term durability of mag extensions and their effect on the magazine spring with constant use.
    No, only the extension. I have also wondered that. I will have to see. I replace my springs yearly, so I will see if I find any problems by then.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is there any trick to installing these on the magazine?

I just got a new 9c magazine and extension from G&R, but so far I can't get more than 12 rounds in the magazine unless I slide the baseplate forward by about a 1/4 inch, which is obviously not secure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks for the review. I've had my eye on these and was wondering about how they work. I was suspicious because of my percieved lack of interest.
    Please update us as you go if you don't mind.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Post retracted. See my post below.
    Last edited by broberts001; 12-15-11 at 05:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by broberts001 View Post
    I purchased 2 and installed them on both the compact mag and fullsized mags. On the compact, they stuck out and were not a natural fit at all. So I installed the Plus-2 on two of my fullsized mags. Here is what I found initially, as I will NOT be leaving them on my mags.

1. Looks decent on a fullsized M&P.
    2. Very hard to fully lock the mag when the slide is closed (1 in the chamber). It is possible but I had to slam the mag in.
    3. As hard as I tried with my UpLULA, I could not get more than 18 rounds in the magazine. So, for $10 each from Mec-Gar, I get 1 whole extra round.
    4. The worst part, the Plus-2 extention easily slides off. There is nothing holding it in place - except the spring. Bumping it makes it move, slamming in the mag makes it move.

Total piece of garbage. If it would have at least held 2 extra rounds, I would at least leave them for range mags, but for 1 extra round and needing kid glove, it is not worth it.

Just my thoughts.

-Bryan
    Bryan, are you sure you have them installed correctly? Mine won't budge without taking a screw driver to the metal tab at the back.

(the tab goes over the back of the mag, not inside; once you slide on the extended base plate, use a smal screw drive blade in the slot on tab to pull it down into a fully seated position and it shouldn't budge without lifting up with a screw driver blade in the slot)

I ordered 2 from Grant for my 40c with SL 9mm conversion - 1 for the compact 9 mag in the pistol & 1 for the full size 9 mag I carry for my spare reload. I get +2 in the compact mag & +3 in the full size mag. With 1 in the chamber, I am now carrying 35 rounds of 9mm on my person. Fit is as good as factory base plates, and function is flawless, with no issues seating the mag with slide closed & round chambered.

I have NOT tried these on my .40 mags yet.

- Scott
    Last edited by virtualpm; 12-14-11 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bryan,

Actually virtualpm beat me to it, but after messing with them, this seems like the best bet

Last edited by tb417; 12-14-11 at 17:41. Reason: trying to like photo

Feedback Score
    Are those +2 different from other +2 mods that MEc-Gar makes? I have some left over from from Sig P226 mags, would those work on the M&P. 3 more rounds on a FS sounds interesting, especially for3-gun.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    After reading both posts from virtualpm and tb417, I retried the Mec-Gar Plus-2. I was able to get 2 extra in the compact mag and 3 in the fullsized mag (both 9mm). It fits well, holds well and seem to work great. I will be ordering more to complete my fullsize mag collection.

I wanted to thank both virtualpm and tb417 for their help. I have also included some pics to help anyone else in the future.

Compact with pinky ext.

Compact with Mec-Gar Plus-2. Fits, but feels "off". If I kept it on, I would shave it smooth on the front and sides.

Compact with X-Grip

Compact with X-Grip and Mec-Gar Plus-2. The X-Grip is too big and casues the mag not engage. The X-Grip would have to be modified for it to fit well.

Compact with a fullsized mag with Mec-Gar Plus-2. Fits well and actually feels fine

Fullsize and stock mag.

Fullsize with Mec-Gar Plus-2. Feel great, with 20+1 rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast