View Poll Results: What keeps you from seeking out, or attending, firearm training

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cost of tuition

48 28.92%
  • Cost of travel

44 26.51%
  • Cost of ammo

14 8.43%
  • Cost of/Lack of guns/gear/support equipment

9 5.42%
  • Time away from work

23 13.86%
  • Time away from family

18 10.84%
  • Physical limitations (disability, injury, etc.)

5 3.01%
  • Fear/Dislike of the unknown (or perceived known)

2 1.20%
  • I do not want/need any/more firearm training

3 1.81%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What keeps you from seeking out, or attending, training? POLL

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Cost of travel

I'm going with cost of travel, with a caveat. I'm new to carbine shooting and probably wouldn't qualify for a LAV level class. So I'd like to find a good beginner level class to get a bit more up to speed to get the most out of a high end class. The challenge there is finding someone near by that I can feel confident in to get me ready for a better class. The nearest classes I've found are 9+ hours a way. Which for now is a bit far to travel for my skill level.

Lol, time traveling posts.
    Last edited by Grizzly16; 08-08-11 at 08:16. Reason: time travel

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Can we change the poll to allow multiple options to be selected?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Can we change the poll to allow multiple options to be selected?
    No, that's the whole point. I'm interested in the primary reason, not the cumulative reasons. Feel free to spell out or further discuss your secondary and tertiary reasons in your response to the thread though.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I picked cost of tuition, because it's the most easily influenced. Cost of ammo is right up there though. Travel cost isn't as much of an issue, because I can usually find quality training in the Tulsa area.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

What keeps you from seeking out, or attending, training? POLL

Poll as a result of the responses in this thread

Unlike the other thread, there is an option here for "I don't need any/more training". Feel free to make use of that.

There is no "other" option. If your primary reason for not seeking out training is not listed, please either pick your next reason down the list of simply post with "other" at the top of your post and explain.

• Cost of tuition
    • Cost of travel
    • Cost of ammo
    • Cost of/Lack of guns/gear/support equipment
    • Time away from work
    • Time away from family
    • Physical limitations (disability, injury, etc.)
    • Fear/Dislike of the unknown (or perceived known)
    • I do not want/need any firearm training
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-08-11 at 08:14.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I guess if I am being accurate... It's seeking out MORE training and not my normal 2-3 classes a year.

Time away from my business.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Ammo cost.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    I chose the cost of travel, because the classes I want to take are not local. That being said one of the classes I want to take probably cost more than the travel. I have taken a local defensive handgun courses and look forward to taking more in the future... I do want to take a basic carbine course, but as I am more likely to deploy my handgun I tend to focus my efforts there...

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I really wish I could select multiple options. I understand your point in not allowing that, however I think that limitation pigeon holes people into slots they don't necessarily belong in. The reasons why I haven't attended any training yet are (in no particular order):

cost of tuition
    cost of travel/lodging/meals
    cost of ammo

The problem with this poll for my particular situation is that no single issue I listed above is THE reason I haven't attended any training. Rather it's the combined cost of ALL of those reasons.
    Last edited by SteveL; 08-08-11 at 11:42.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    The problem with this poll for my particular situation is that no single issue I listed above is THE reason I haven't attended any training. Rather it's the combined cost of ALL of those reasons.
    +1 for me too. The compounding issue with it is that it constrains and concentrates funds that I would otherwise use on more routine practice: one day of training costs me what I'd spend on several days practice on my own.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast