Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS mag release technique ?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Walther PPS mag release technique ?

What is your technique for a reliable and speedy mag release. For instance the FAST drill. shoot two / change mag / shoot 4

The manual shows a strong hand index finger press. I really can't seem to do that.

The only reasonable thing I can come up with is weak hand thumb transitions from pointing forward to curling down while the hand moves down and mag is released as part of the movement to grab the next mag.

Does this sound reasonable? Any better ideas? I can't think of anything that would require less mechanics and movement, plus this keeps the weapon at eye level and always on target.

It's what I'm going to practice unless someone has a better technique I should try.

Feedback Score
    I am curious about this as well. I have little experience on H&K/Walther lever-style magazine releases but the experience that I do have was mostly confusing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hmmm, I've had my share of *other* issues with my PPS but have no issue using my trigger finger to hit the mag release. In fact, once I became accustomed to it I was faster with it than any other mag release. On the HK45 I use my thumb as it never felt natural to curl my finger back to hit the strong sideof the ambi mag release. On the Walther though I simply move slightly outside the trigger guard and press down. Feels very natural.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use my middle finger from my primary hand, works very well for me, YMMV.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have owned several P99s over the years, as well as several HKs.

Always found it easiest to use the trigger finger. And as stated above - once ya get into the habit of this, its easy to like this style of mag release more than the standard button type release

Feedback Score
    I use my strong hand pointer finger when using any gun with a HK style mag release. I just bring my finger down on top of the release to eject the mag.

Like every one else said, just practice, and it becomes natural very quickly.

Feedback Score
    As stated above, I use my trigger finger and actually like this style much more than the traditional mag release.

Feedback Score
    My wife and I have a pair of 9mm PPS that I've put about 2200 rds through (between the two of them). That's a lot of mag changes. I have gotten into the habit of turning the gun and using my strong hand thumb to activate the mag release. IMO the lever style release at least on the PPS isn't nearly as ergonomic and sure feeling as a push button release ala 1911, Glock, etc. But the risk of an inadvertent mag release is probably lower with the lever style than with a button style release.

I thought about using the strong hand trigger finger to run the release, but wanted to avoid using that finger for any task other than operating the trigger. Reason being I don't want to get confused and inadvertently operate the trigger instead of the mag release.

My wife, having small hands, prefers using the weak hand thumb to release the mag.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 05-23-11 at 16:52.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    OK, I think I figured out what my problem was. I have a LimbSaver 12012 which is a little to big up around the release pivot. I didn't think it was interfering but now I see that it indeed was. I notched it out and now I get a pretty quick release with my trigger finger.

Another thing I see I was doing wrong was putting my (right hand) finger a little too far towards the left and also bringing it back a little too far. Sort of hooking my finger when keeping it straight works better.

So I was pressing frame and not using the entire lever. Actually I see it works quite easy now if I just brush down on the rightmost edge, it just pops right out.

Man, this is a lot better. Thanks guys. I was wondering why they made such a nice pistol and such a difficult release.

TB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    OK, I think I figured out what my problem was. I have a LimbSaver 12012 which is a little to big up around the release pivot. I didn't think it was interfering but now I see that it indeed was. I notched it out and now I get a pretty quick release with my trigger finger.

Another thing I see I was doing wrong was putting my (right hand) finger a little too far towards the left and also bringing it back a little too far. Sort of hooking my finger when keeping it straight works better.

So I was pressing frame and not using the entire lever. Actually I see it works quite easy now if I just brush down on the rightmost edge, it just pops right out.

Man, this is a lot better. Thanks guys. I was wondering why they made such a nice pistol and such a difficult release.

TB

People keep recommending the Limbsaver Pro Handgun grip sleeve model 12012 for the PPS, but I have to disagree with them. It is oversized for the pistol in my opinion, and runs up into the magazine release, just as you have experienced.

You can naturally fix it by cutting way some of the material. Or, if a person instead orders the smaller model 12013, as I did, you will not experience this issue at all.

Here is what the Limbsaver model 12013 looks like on my 9mm PPS. Note how it does not jam up next to the magazine release lever, like the model 12012 does:

I don't have my .40 S&W PPS currently, as it is presently at ROBAR getting their NP3 PLUS finish put on it, just like I had done here to my 9mm PPS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast