Thread: BCM 16" MidPul

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Talking BCM 16" MidPul

Well, finished another build, and already starting on my next one (I'm a junkie, sue me). Anyhow, to the point:

Attachment 8469

Attachment 8470

BCM BFH LW 16" w/ A2
    YHM flip rear sight
    MagPul MOE midlength handguards
    BCM GFH Mod.4 charging handle
    Spike's Battle Trigger
    G&R Tactical LPK
    MagPul MOE grip
    MagPul UBR
    MagPul BAD Lever
    MagPul Enhanced trigger guard
    MagPul PMag

The original intent for this rifle was to have something well-balanced, simple, reliable, and accurate. It does all of these just fine, it's just... it doesn't quite "thrill" me. There are a number of changes and updates that I'm considering making, and was curious for anyone's opinion.

1*) A comp of some sort. I'm leaning toward a BattleComp, but input is always welcome.
    2*) Vltor A5 receiver extension/kit and SOPMOD stock. I love the feel of the SOPMOD, and the look of the A5.
    3) EOTech (probably an XPS) and magnifier. Irons are okay, but an optic would be better. If Aimpoint Micros had an option for a KillFlash, or even a flip-up cover of some sort, I'd go for them, but I work with EOTechs better. The magnifier would be a flip-to-side 3x of some variety.

So: thoughts?

*The reasoning behind #1 and #2 is that, for a middy, the recoil is surprisingly harsh. Harsher than the Del-Tons I built before I knew better...
    Last edited by Dionysusigma; 05-15-11 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    almost exactly what i have minus the stock, very nice though, and good choice on BCM

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81199

Feedback Score
    You say that the recoil on your BCM LTW Middy is harsh? I'm building my first AR and am going with the same upper as yours because I have read that the advantage of the middy vs. the carbine is that the recoil is considerably less. Am I missing something?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dandingo View Post
    You say that the recoil on your BCM LTW Middy is harsh? I'm building my first AR and am going with the same upper as yours because I have read that the advantage of the middy vs. the carbine is that the recoil is considerably less. Am I missing something?
    'Harsh,' in this case, is relative. He may also be referring to muzzle rise.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Per Amicus' point, I think you've assembled an unbalanced riffle and some of the harshness is probably due to muzzle rise. The UBR with buffer is nearly two pounds vs. a very svelte front end with the lightweight barrel profile. Try a lighter stock first and make sure you're try a couple of different buffers. Nothing wrong with the A5/SOPMOD setup, but again it's going to balance toward ass heavy.

I would add the comp last once you've figured out the balance and buffer. FWIW, I ended up with the Battlecomp on lightweight build for the same reason. I only use the UBR for my heay ass precision setup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    'Harsh,' in this case, is relative. He may also be referring to muzzle rise.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfelber View Post
    Per Amicus' point, I think you've assembled an unbalanced riffle and some of the harshness is probably due to muzzle rise. The UBR with buffer is nearly two pounds vs. a very svelte front end with the lightweight barrel profile. Try a lighter stock first and make sure you're try a couple of different buffers. Nothing wrong with the A5/SOPMOD setup, but again it's going to balance toward ass heavy.

I would add the comp last once you've figured out the balance and buffer. FWIW, I ended up with the Battlecomp on lightweight build for the same reason. I only use the UBR for my heay ass precision setup.
    Thanks for the responses. I've been doing as much research as I possibly can and I'd thought I just taken a step back but this makes much more sense. Now I'm hoping that the setup I have is going to be balanced. Trial & error.
    Last edited by dandingo; 05-17-11 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I suppose I should have stated "harsher than expected" or "harsher than I like." All other ARs I've shot (which were ones I owned myself--I'd never fired an AR until after I built my first one) were two separate HBAR Del-Ton midlengths and my first "real" AR, a BCM/LMT/KAC copy of an M16A4 complete with rifle-length gas and rifle buffer system. It's actually pretty apparent to me now that balance while shooting is different from, and more important than, balance while carrying. Muzzle rise was definitely an issue--having an auto BCG pushing on an H buffer inside a UBR with a skinny barrel might, might just be the cause of that.

I've been meaning to get the A5/SOPMOD combo for a while as it is, but before I do I think I'm going to mate the lower from the A4gery to the LW Middy upper to see how that helps. If it helps as much as I think it will, then I'll know a lot more.

What I'm now most concerned about is that I have a UBR that might just end up in the "random AR parts" bin that may form itself into another rifle while I'm not looking. I was going to put it on the next rifle I'm building, but the plan for the new build is about as far from "heavy-ass precision rig" as it gets.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the update...I had a similar build with a ctr that balanced well.

I also got bored of it! Just so functional it gets boring because there is nothing to mess with on it!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, finally got out to the range with it again a couple of weeks back, and only tonight remembered that I'd meant to post an update.

Not sure where I was coming from regarding harsh recoil, but it seemed a lot better this time. Smoothed out even more when I swapped out the lower for the one from my A4 (A2 stock and rifle buffer, etc). Though I like the solidness of the UBR, it's on its way off as I plan to out the A5 RE and a MagPul CTR stock on. The balance is indeed way off in present config.

Also got to spend some time since the last writing playing with AimPoints and EOTechs, and the AimPoint micro won hands down in about every category. Smaller, lighter, less busy, better battery life, stouter, etc.

I may just stick with the A2 FH. A comp or brake really doesn't seem necessary on this gun, even after getting to shoot a SCAR with the PWS.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.