Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some suggestions please.

Feedback Score

Some suggestions please.

I just bought an the Esstac LBB chest rig from SKDTAC. I kind of jumped on it because of the suckit sale. Thanks again SKDTAC.

Im trying to figure out what my options are for mounting my pistol. I was thinking about maybe a molle holster that is attached to one side of the chest rig with pistol mags on the other? Then maybe I would get a belt or a war belt for other pouches maybe?

I really would like a holster that accepts a light. But can do without is absolutely neccessary. I really like the look and idea of a nylon one too. But can go another route also, maybe kydex. I really think the holster should strap down the pistol too. No open tops.

Should I even mount to the chest rig? Maybe on a war belt instead or even just a belt!?!? I dont know. Any suggestions would be great. This setup im looking for is for matches and just for whatever.

I found this pic in the loadout pics but I dont know if this holster accepts a light or even a Glock21. What holster is this?
    Last edited by cvriv; 05-02-11 at 22:56.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I do not like to have my pistol on my rig. But is you do the best and most low profile set up I have seen is the SERPA with the MOLLE attachment.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I highly recommend against a nylon holster because:

A. You do not want any straps retaining the weapon, unless you're referring to a Safariland hood as a strap. Your handgun is your lifeline and you should only be reaching for it in situations where your rifle has run dry or malfunctioned and you can either not clear it or you do not have enough time to inspect the malfunction, identify it and perform remedial action. Because you should only be reaching for it in these situations, a holster that allows the operator the shortest draw time while still retaining the weapon under normal movement is ideal. Kydex and injection molded holsters do a fine job of this.

B. Nylon straps easily fail to retain the weapon under normal movement. An old, shitty Condor nylon holster of mine dropped my friend's Kimber onto concrete while it was on my thigh. Never heard the end of that one. This is partially due to the fact that nylon holsters are generally made to accommodate most handguns and therefore cannot possibly fit your specific weapon even a fraction as well as a Kydex holster can and it is partially due to operator error involved in failing to set the straps properly after reholstering, (by either placing the strap above a beavertail if the weapon has one or not tightening them enough or forgetting/neglecting to apply the straps altogether). In either case, the problems, (whether inherent to the holster or operator-induced), are not present in Kydex or injection molded holsters.

C. Nylon holsters can release your mag for you. While your weapon is holstered. If you're lucky enough to be on a hard deck when it happens, you may notice it fall out and just have to deal with a scratched/cracked baseplate. If you're on any type of soft ground, you may not notice your mag abandoning ship and draw your lifeline to discover that you only have 1, (one), round to work with. If this issue is present prevalently in Kydex holsters, I have yet to hear about it. I often hear about extended mag releases dropping mags when used with Kydex holsters, but that's not the holster's fault and Kydex is extremely easy to grind/file out. I once dropped a Para mag when carrying in a Hogue Powerspeed, but I think that was the mag's fault, and that's not even Kydex so never mind.

D. Nylon holsters are floppy. Kydex holsters retain the weapon very securely to your body, (assuming that the platform they're mounted to is also securely strapped down).

I highly recommend a Kydex pancake-style holster from Raven Concealment Systems, Peters Custom Holsters, Personal Security Systems or Atomic Dog Holsters or your choice of Safariland's 6000 series of holsters, however their line and its MOLLE-compatible mounts are a bloody mess and can easily be confused. Feel free to take a look at their site if you wish to investigate that option. Few Kydex holsters, if any, are designed to be MOLLE-compatible out of the box, so take a look at Bawidamann PUPs as well. All the mentioned manufacturer's websites are listed below. Feel free to ask questions.

http://ravenconcealmentsystems.com/
    http://www.shop.peterscustomholsters.com/
    http://www.psholsters.com/
    http://www.atomicdogholsters.com/Main.html
    http://www.safariland.com/dutygear/duty/als.aspx
    http://www.bawidamann.com/store/store.html

As far as where the holster ought to be mounted, different people have different preferences but I don't think it's inaccurate to state that most prefer to run them on either a "war belt," as you said, or suspended from a war belt or regular belt and run high and tight on their thigh. This latter option, in my experience, has been the most secure method when running, climbing, jumping, etc. However there is certainly something to be said for running the handgun on a plate/armor carrier's cummerbund because then you have all or at least most of your equipment all together, ready to be grabbed and donned in an instant.

Hope that helps.

ETA: Oh, and if you buy things based solely or even in any part on how they look... Well... Egh.
    Last edited by Pax; 05-03-11 at 00:03.

I think a lot depends on what you plan on using this chest rig for. If you are going to be wearing a war belt of some kind, I generally prefer to have pistol mounted on the belt. I have run pistols on my vest before and I never could find the right place for it.

As stated above, I'd avoid nylon holsters. I don't really like the SERPA that much either because I dislike the idea of using my trigger finger to engage a button that releases the gun. There have been accounts of people using the SERPA holsters under stress and accidentally discharing their pistols. Granted these instances are rare and could probably be cured with training, but I just decided to skip over it.

Safariland has a great MOLLE mounting system. Blade-Tech also offers something that might work for you. Perhaps with more information about what you are wanting from your chest rig would help us give more insight.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Be sure that whatever matches you're planning on attending even allow that attachment method. We don't. Holsters must be belt-mounted and no cross-draw.

If your actual end-goal is practical training my suggestion is to attend classes and matches with your carry holster (or a setup that very nearly mimics it) and buy other load-carriage to work around it. Most people wind up doing the opposite and show up with $5 drop-leg holsters worn somewhere around their knee.
    Last edited by rob_s; 05-03-11 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks for the info guys.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Few Kydex holsters, if any, are designed to be MOLLE-compatible out of the box
    Take a look at the Eleazar Molly Holster.

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Take a look at the Eleazar Molly Holster.

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.htm
    Interesting, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Ok. I found a holster I like. Its a BladeTech. There's something im wondering about it though. It doesnt say on there website. What size belt does the non adjustable SR loop accept?!?!

http://www.blade-tech.com/RH-WRS-Wea...p-pr-1144.html

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you have decided to go to a belt mount there are much better options.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast