Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Initial Impression: IWC's SMC Surefire Scout mount for ALL Magpul MOE handguards

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)

Initial Impression: IWC's SMC Surefire Scout mount for ALL Magpul MOE handguards

About two months ago I contacted Earl at Impact Weapon Components link to IWC in regards to a mount for a Surefire M300 Mini-Scout light. I was looking for a mount that was compatible with mid-length Magpul MOE handguards. Earl gladly agreed to send one of his Side Mount Cantilevered (SMC) Scout Mount-N-Slot mounts to me as soon as they were out of development. Last week the mount arrived in IWC's great packaging.

When I opened the box, I found everything I needed to install the mount is included in the packaging (photo doesn't include the allen wrenches but there are some included for you).

Everything about the item, from the neatly laid out packaging to the actual mount itself, exudes quality. There are no tooling marks or sharp edges. The finish of the product is uniform with no light or dark spots. Simply put, it's just an all around nice product.

Sooo, I didn't waste alot of time before mounting my Mini-Scout to the SMC mount and slapping it on my upper. Currently, it is residing on my recently acquired 14.5" BCM LW middy SBR. I plan on getting alot of time in with this rifle over the next few months and that should give me a good chance to feel out the mount. I can't foresee any issues but as long as I can source up training ammo, it will get plenty of live fire testing.

A quick little side track... This past Friday, I smashed my thumb pretty badly at work. It delayed this review by a couple days but one good thing did come out of it. Instead of you having to look at my ugly, stubby, smashed-up fingers, my girlfriend stepped in as my hand model for the pictures. Downside is she didn't want anything but her hands showing. Sorry...

Back to the matter at hand, the SMC mount must be ordered according to which side of the handguard you wish to mount it. Either bolt release side/ejection port side, port/starboard, left/right needs to be decided by you since the design of this mount is specific to each side. The location of the light is right at the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock.

In the past I have always had the light mounted on the ejection port side, so I chose to follow suite with this mount. I had my hand model do her best to recreate my grip on the rifle for a reference in the photos. She did the best she could and I believe that you can get the point from the photos.

"Strong side" regular grip

"Strong side" activating light

"Support side" regular grip

"Support side" activating light

To give you an idea, I wear size 9 (medium) gloves. I have no issues reaching and activating the light whether shouldering the rifle right or left handed.

The SMC mount does exactly what it is designed to do. It mounts easily. It mounts securely. Installation is simple. It places the light in an ideal location for a gun with a front sight post. I am happy with it and look forward to getting some time in with it.

Additionally, there is a 1" flashlight mount SMC Mount-N-Slot coming. From what I understand they should be out for coating right now. If you are interested in the SMC mounts you can contact IWC and they will be able to give you pricing and availability. Thanks to the Earl and the guys at IWC. I look forward to seeing what else you guys are bringing to the table in the future.

PICS:

Barrel shadow from 10 ft (edit to remind you that I'm using a 14.5 barrel with an A2 flash hider)

I am by no means a profeshunal pickertaker so I did the best I could with the point and shoot camera I have. I will try to get a better back drop down the road and maybe come up with a way to get some better lighting. Or just get someone else with the gear to do it. Any volunteers?
    Last edited by bleaman225; 02-10-12 at 21:23. Reason: re-specified barrel length

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    This looks great. I'm still waiting on the MOE Midlength TMC 1" Light mount but this is definitely a winner if you're running a M300 or 600.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    This looks great. I'm still waiting on the MOE Midlength TMC 1" Light mount but this is definitely a winner if you're running a M300 or 600.
    Definitely. If you have 1" OD flashlights, it is going to be the bee's knees.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Can it mount on either side of the handguard?

(I mean... I know the handguard will take it, but does the mount work on the other side?)
    Last edited by markm; 04-14-11 at 12:22.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Can it mount on either side of the rail?
    No I mentioned that in the review.
    For clarification, there is a recess in the mount for the "legs" of the scout light to mount into. The recess is only on one side.
    From what I've seen of the 1" OD flashlight mounts, it will be a single side only deal also. <edit: But I have not seen the final product for the 1" flashlight units.>
    Last edited by bleaman225; 04-14-11 at 12:24.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bleaman225 View Post
    No I mentioned that in the review.
    Sorry.. I quick scanned the review and missed it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Great review, Thanks.

The grip pictures were very helpful and resolved all my concerns about the position. I'll be in for one.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review and pictures (and thank your hand model too ). Now I'm REALLY looking forward to the release of the 1" mount.
    Last edited by MattC; 04-14-11 at 16:48.
    "There is no nice way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards; our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us. The work we're too afraid, too unskilled, or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, out of our cars, out of our houses, and out of our faces. We just don't want to see how its done."
    -Charles H. Webb, Ph.D.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Emailed back and forth with Earl this evening and he said that the SMC mounts will be going onto the website next week. I emailed him to find out if that's both the Scout and the 1" flashlights but that was only a minute ago. I'll let you know what I find out.

EDIT: Both the Scout and 1" flashlight versions should be available for sale next week on IWC's website.
    Last edited by bleaman225; 12-04-11 at 12:56.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update. I'll be checking the website incessantly until they're up
    "There is no nice way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards; our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us. The work we're too afraid, too unskilled, or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, out of our cars, out of our houses, and out of our faces. We just don't want to see how its done."
    -Charles H. Webb, Ph.D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast