Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread on cans

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Thread on cans

I prefer cans with a quick, dedicated and locking mount. But, I own several thread on cans. The issue I have is that on some of my rifles the threaded cans like to work loose after only a couple of shots. It's not a big deal on the range but in any dynamic enviroment it becomes a problem.

Does anyone have a simple fix they use to help solve this common isssue?

Feedback Score
    I like using a simple wedge lock washer. If the shoulders are true on the barrel and suppressor, you will not have any alignment problems.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#lock-washers/=brt4ic

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Teflon tape is a good temporary fix, but it will eventually work loose as well. It will just stay tight longer and it helps protect the threads.

Feedback Score
    I use a couple drops of blue loctite. After a shooting sessin most of it burns off so the can is easilly removed but just enough remains to prevent the can from loostening while shooting.

MadDog

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn1523 View Post
    I like using a simple wedge lock washer. If the shoulders are true on the barrel and suppressor, you will not have any alignment problems.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#lock-washers/=brt4ic
    Very bad idea. NEVER use a washer.

Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Teflon tape is a good temporary fix, but it will eventually work loose as well. It will just stay tight longer and it helps protect the threads.
    This guy has it right. A few layers of Teflon tape will do the job nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    I use a couple drops of blue loctite. After a shooting sessin most of it burns off so the can is easilly removed but just enough remains to prevent the can from loostening while shooting.

MadDog
    Most of it burns off? Loctite is for fasteners, not suppressors.
    Last edited by MarkG; 04-07-11 at 10:34.

Feedback Score
    Actually the washer I mentioned works very well with a can, provided that the shoulders are true, as I stated. I have used them for many years and provided them to lot's of customers who have never had a problem. A regular lock washer is of course a disaster waiting to happen.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Actually the washer I mentioned works very well with a can, provided that the shoulders are true, as I stated. I have used them for many years and provided them to lot's of customers who have never had a problem. A regular lock washer is of course a disaster waiting to happen.
    I don't think you will find one suppressor manufacturer who will condone the use of any type of washer let alone a two piece lock washer with an inside tolerance of .500 to .749.
    Last edited by MarkG; 04-07-11 at 11:41. Reason: Append Info

Feedback Score
    Maybe not. I am just giving my experience from near 20 years in the suppressor industry. I have never seen a Nord-Lock washer with the tolerances they give. But then again, that's just from my experience.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Thanks for the good ideas. I get stuff for work from McMaster all the time. I will order some Nord Locks with my next order. I am also going to try the Teflon tape route. I will try both out on the range first and see how they hold up. I am sure it will be harder to break the mental habit of prepetualy checking the can between shots.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Maybe not. I am just giving my experience from near 20 years in the suppressor industry. I have never seen a Nord-Lock washer with the tolerances they give. But then again, that's just from my experience.
    20 years in the suppressor industry...

Being quick to tout your industry experience, I'm sure you wouldn't mind naming the company or companies that you have worked for. It would certainly go a long way towards establishing your credibility.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast