Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD LW MID - UPDATED with Glass

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

DD LW MID - UPDATED with Glass

For me, part of the enjoyment of this rifle is where I came from. 2 years ago, I thought I had my stuff together with a mostly Colt 14.5" gun/pinned FH/A2 upper/Gigantic-assed Surefire/13-mag LBE loadout:

Then I actually tried running that setup in some local matches and quickly determined that lighter would be better, I didn't need that many mags on me, I wanted an optic and a longer grip. So I sold off all of that stuff and started fresh. Basically, I created an Excel spreadsheet (yeah, I know, I'm a nerd) that weighed the costs of modifying my old rifle against purchasing something new. I initially looked very heavily into the KAC SR-15 IWS E3, but I had some reservations (proprietary parts, shorter handguard than I wanted, and I saw two different rifles come through the shop that had what I considered to be issues (FYI, KAC customer service is great, and they took care of the issues), but then I came across the Smartgunner deal, plugged the numbers into my spreadsheet, and the answer was obvious:

Upper
    Daniel Defense 16" LW CHF Barrel, 1:7, A2FH (until I get my AAC SDN6) Assembled to Daniel Defense Upper with 14.0 Lite Rail - $499, Smartgunner.com
    Danield Defense FA BCG - $124, Smartgunner.com
    Daniel Defense Charging Handle - $19, Smartgunner.com, I've replaced the DD CH with a PRI Gasbuster I already had.
    KAC Micro BUIS - Hookup through work, $270 online

Lower
    Daniel Defense Stripped Lower - $124, Smartgunner.com
    Daniel Defense LPK - $65, Smartgunner.com
    LMT SOPMOD Stock Kit (unused) - TOS EE, $185
    Noveske QD End Plate - Work, $35 (high I know, but we had it, and most places online are out, plus it was there)

Total as it sits right now: $1321

Planned additions:
    Padded/Enhanced VTAC - already have
    Gear Sector Handstop - ordering today
    Gear Sector 6P mount - ordering today
    Gear Sector Sopmod QD kit - ordering today
    Surefire G2x Tactical - already have

Future additions:
    Geissele trigger (still debating SSA-E or SD-E) although the Factory DD I got is better than any other factory trigger I've felt.
    Trijicon ACOG TA11HG/Bobro mount - I "borrowed" one of the shop TA11's and mocked it up for a photo last night.

I put 20 rnds of XM193 through it last night without a hitch to get a quick zero. I'm running the H2 buffer that came with the LMT kit. This rifle has almost no recoil impulse or muzzle movement. It's almost like shooting a 10/22. I love this rifle already and can't wait to run it in the Vickers class next month!

Here she is in all her glory, special thanks to Karmapolice for the pics (though he's not happy with them and wants to take more)

Also, special thanks to Tommy Malone of Smartgunner.com: I tried to order this pkg with OmegaX 12.0 rail on 12/24, and didn't realize I had not corrected the billing address for my credit card. It declined my CC 4 times before the web store locked me out. I called Tommy and he answered on Christmas Eve and told me what was likely the issue (billing address) and to try again in a day or so. The issue was, it took a few days for the declined charges ($831 X 4) to fall off my credit card because of the holidays. By the time I got around to trying to order again, the deal was gone from the website. I was bummed and called Tommy, and he honored the pricing anyway! I scheduled a Vickers Tactical Carbine class for March 6th and started to get a little nervous last week. I e-mailed Tommy to see if my gear would be here in time for the class. Tommy said DD had the Omega X 12.0 rails on backorder. He asked if I would accept the Lite Rail (which is more expensive) as an alternate for the same price. I was thrilled, this was awesome customer service. He mentioned that he had some 16" LW uppers with 14.0 Lite rails coming into his inventory the next day and that I could have one of those if I wanted. I was thrilled to get my upgraded upper on-time for my class and for the same price as I originally paid, especially after I screwed up the billing thing. I couldn't be more happy with this whole setup, and want to publicly thank Tommy.
    Last edited by ASH556; 03-16-11 at 09:14.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Awesome build and write up, crappy pictures This rifle is super light and has a really light recoil as well. I can't wait to see how it runs at the vickers course as well as my own new rifle. I am expecting both to run flawlessly
    Last edited by karmapolice; 02-23-11 at 12:12.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Very nice.

Is this setup any lighter though with the SOPMOD and the 14.0 rail at 17.4 oz?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawDon View Post
    Very nice.

Is this setup any lighter though with the SOPMOD and the 14.0 rail at 17.4 oz?
    It may be one of those weight/balance things. I don't know how much the other rifle weighed, but I can tell you having that huge-assed Surefire out on the end of it with no weight in the rear was not fun/comfortable to shoot. This rifle balances right where the magwell meets the trigger guard. It's certainly not a heavy rifle, even with the ACOG on it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    It may be one of those weight/balance things. I don't know how much the other rifle weighed, but I can tell you having that huge-assed Surefire out on the end of it with no weight in the rear was not fun/comfortable to shoot. This rifle balances right where the magwell meets the trigger guard. It's certainly not a heavy rifle, even with the ACOG on it.
    Agreed....balance > weight. The SOPMOD definitely fits perfectly with the front end of your rifle. I've tried a lot of various buttstocks and the SOPMOD is one of the most comfy and balanced.

Man, that surefire is huge! What year is that from and how heavy is that pig?! haha You could literally just scare someone off with it!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great job, my favorite aspects are the rail and the kac micros....those really were excellent decisions.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    That looks great... I am a little upset cause the last time I was on their site I couldn't find the build your own upper option.
    -They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security- Benjamin Franklin

-Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.- Lamb of God- Omerta

ابن بيت وأنا كافر

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shreckp View Post
    That looks great... I am a little upset cause the last time I was on their site I couldn't find the build your own upper option.
    SG Custom build is on hold as Tommy fills the total of 600 orders he received. Per Tommy on TOS it will be back with better enhancements to the overall process.

OP, nice build. Any idea how much it weights?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagrave7 View Post
    SG Custom build is on hold as Tommy fills the total of 600 orders he received. Per Tommy on TOS it will be back with better enhancements to the overall process.

Thanks man,

I am wanting one just like this just with 12" Rail... Anyway this rifle looks awesome... cant say that enough.
    -They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security- Benjamin Franklin

-Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.- Lamb of God- Omerta

ابن بيت وأنا كافر

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagrave7 View Post
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone! No idea yet on weight, but I hope to weigh it on a digital scale tomorrow (if I can get to the shop early enough). I tried compiling weights, but that was a loosing proposition as I found much conflicting data. I can tell you that it feels/swings lighter than the Noveske Low Pro/Switchblock that we have on our shelf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast