Thread: Vest bounce solution?

Feedback Score

Question Vest bounce solution?

I've had vests in the past that have belt loops to secure to your duty belt but my current issue armor carrier does not. Has anyone thought of a creative way to solve vest bounce? Every time I break into a sprint my gear is bouncing all over the place.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What type of carrier?

Cummerbund, Y/N?

When you say "issue armor carrier," am I correct in presuming that your chances of being able to change it are on a par with my chances of being elected Pope?

The easiest thing to say is "Tighten it up," but it's absolutely possible to snug something up to eliminate bounce AND make it so you can't breathe. It's strongly related to the sort of idiotic response meatheads give to questions about making a gun sensibly lighter: "Thag want know why you not get stronger huuurrrrrrrrrr? Protein powder BEEFCAAAAAAAAAKE!!"

It's sometimes possible to elasticize stuff so that you can snug it up and have it remain stable, yet still have enough give to let you breathe, but it'd be good to know what kind of carrier you're using and how you wear it.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I find that carriers with an elasticized cummerbund really helps reduce bounce...that and not running with it

Seriously though, some armor/carrier companies haven't figured out that some of us knuckle-draggers have a 33" waist and 48" chest. When they build their gear to fit a dude with a 48" chest, they assume he has a 40" waist.
    Using a carrier with some stretch in the cummerbund will allow you to tighten it down and still breath, ultimately reducing bounce.

Now, if you are talking about the old school zip-up vests/LBV's with the belt loops for a war belt, consider upgrading to something that works.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 02-03-11 at 02:44. Reason: add some more words
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Bungee straps can help. If you have a molle carrier, loop it through your belt and then hook it on your molle.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

My current issue is a PACA MAC08. It has 2 elastic velcro straps that go around your midsection like a cummerbund and 2 shorter ones that join the 2 halves together.

http://www.pointblanksolutionsinc.com/paca/mac08.php

The ones being issued to the new guys are similar but MOLLE instead of fixed pouches.

I could probably buy my own out of pocket but I haven't seen any that secure to your belt to help stabilize the loadout.
    Last edited by ready; 02-03-11 at 16:32.

Feedback Score
    Couldn't you maybe add some tie downs to attach like the old vest did? Just a few minutes with a needle and you would be styling.

Or you could use roller skates

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    Has anyone thought of a creative way to solve vest bounce?

Thanks!
    It would be interesting to see what you finally came up with.

If it is something you really want and need, perhaps you should consider it being done by a professional. Also factor what it will do to the Warranty, if there is one.

Have not seen any recent carriers with belt tie downs. Maybe others will post some.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    I could probably buy my own out of pocket but I haven't seen any that secure to your belt to help stabilize the loadout.
    This is your bag to hold, but I'd be leery mating the vest to a belt, mostly because of the time added when donning/doffing.

A good vest or PC w/cummerbund, which is usually elasticized in some way, snugs around your midriff and helps attenuate bouncing; it will never completely go away. I had to jimmy with the c-bun on my Eagle PC a little. It was adjustable by a shock-cord ladder in back, but one that used 3/16" cord. I either had to run it so tight I had trouble breathing or so loose it flopped like yours. I changed it to 1/8" cord, which allowed it to give more when cinched tight, yet stay in place.

Unless one of these is up your alley...

http://tacticalcorsets.com/corsets

This one, for example, uses MSA Paraclete concealment armor, accepts plates, and mounts MOLLE pouches: http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/...IER/Detail.bok

The one you have, I'm really not sure what might be done.

Maybe hit this guy up: http://downrangegear.wordpress.com/

He's ginned up some interesting solutions and tweaks for other peoples' gear, and makes them. Does top-notch work, too. Might have a suggestion or three.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Agreed. I like being able to take it on and off easily. I had thought of sewing belt keepers onto the bottom but there will be times when I'm plain clothes and will not have a full duty rig to attach it to. Some sort of paracord lacing system may be the answer...

Thanks, again.