Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Front sight interference with optic?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Try it sometime. Put a lens cover over the front of your Aimpoint/Eotech and draw up on a target. Your opposite eye will pick up what is behind the target while your dominant eye superimposes the red dot on the target. I don't know why anyone would want to roll this way, but you could if you had to.
    http://www.armsonusa.com/armsonoeg.html
    If they made one with a mount for a flattop AR I might start running one just to prove a point. I'd follow it with a post entitled "My FSB is obstructing my Armson OEG".

Last edited by rob_s; 01-24-11 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    I've got a 512 on my flattop with front and rear MBUIS. Came in handy for sighting it in since the MBUIS were already done. I just adjusted the EO to line up with MBUIS and I was about dead on first trip tothe range. I generally keep the sights folded down when using the EO though.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I see what you're saying now. You had me there for a minute. And yeah, I don't see how anyone would intentionally roll that way. I can see mud/dirt causing this to happen though.

I'm gonna give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Try it sometime. Put a lens cover over the front of your Aimpoint/Eotech and draw up on a target. Your opposite eye will pick up what is behind the target while your dominant eye superimposes the red dot on the target. I don't know why anyone would want to roll this way, but you could if you had to.

Scoby

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Primarily used as a training method; it provides excellent proof-of-concept to students reluctant to believe that it's possible to shoot with both eyes open, at the cost of a piece of tape big enough to cover an objective lens. We do it with 1x, 3.5x, 4x and 6x optics all the time.

Generally considered more acceptable and politic than jumping in their face and screaming "SCIENCE, mutha@#$^@, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!"

However tempting that may be, sometimes....
    Contractor scum, New & Legacy Equipment Trainer
    PM Infantry Weapons, USMC

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    http://www.armsonusa.com/armsonoeg.html
    If they made one with a mount for a flattop AR I might start running one just to prove a point. I'd follow it with a post entitled "My FSB is obstructing my Armson OEG".

Back in the day some people would put that Armson RD on paintball guns. I never did see one in person but always wondered...
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Having the front sight base "in the way" is actually preferable to me for a couple reasons. The first being a traditional front sight base is very strong, and robust. The second is that if your optic were to go down, you have a very fast reference point for putting rounds on target by using the front sight and the optic tube or window as a improptu ghost ring which is extremely effective on man size targets out past 25 yards. I prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness with a fixed front sight base and a flip up rear sight (MBUS in my case). Though I am toying with the idea of going with a fixed rear as well, like the DD 1.5 BUIS.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

We need an archived thread on this topic.
    I second this motion!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Always learning something new.
    [I]Life is Hard, It is even Harder if You are Stupid.
    John Wayne[/I]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Primarily used as a training method; it provides excellent proof-of-concept to students reluctant to believe that it's possible to shoot with both eyes open, at the cost of a piece of tape big enough to cover an objective lens. We do it with 1x, 3.5x, 4x and 6x optics all the time.

Generally considered more acceptable and politic than jumping in their face and screaming "SCIENCE, mutha@#$^@, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!"

However tempting that may be, sometimes....
    I like the science one better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cylindros View Post
    I prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness with a fixed front sight base and a flip up rear sight (MBUS in my case).
    This is exactly what I went with on my latest build. It will be the first time I don't have flip up front and rear, but I agree with the logic of if the red dot dies you have a fast permanent solution on the gun already.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast