Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Member Survey: "Which AR SLING do you use and why?" Thread!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Member Survey: "Which AR SLING do you use and why?" Thread!

Be thorough, be specific. "I like the BFG VCAS" isn't what we're looking for here. Tell us what sling you use, why you use it, what you like about it, what you don't like about it, what else you used on your quest to find the perfect sling, etc. Tell us what kind of shooting you do, how the sling you chose works with the kind of shooting you do, what points on the gun you attach the sling to and with what hardware, etc.

ETA:
    Where possible, please try to insert links to the items in question to help new users track what you're referring to.
    Last edited by rob_s; 12-31-10 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I also use the BFG VCAS as well. Mostly I use the padded version because I am a pansy and don't want it to cut into my shoulder after all day at class. I find the quick adjustment very helpful in transitions and it is quite comfortable to use. I attach mine using a Noveske QD plate. So far I have had no real complaints about the sling except that I need more of them.

I tried the Magpul MS2 for a while but I may as well have use fishing line. That thing will cut you in half after a few hours.
    Last edited by kwelz; 12-31-10 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Pretty much exclusively a Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling user myself. Padded, unpadded, sewn-in swivels and non, Victory version and originals, etc.

I also like the Boonie Packer two-point adjustable and recommend it often. It's a $16 sling, and it lets people test proof of concept in the quick-adjust two-point realm for relatively little money right out of the gate. I strongly suggest the 1.25" over the 1.5" due to the method of attachment to the gun.

I have tried the Magpul MS2/ASAP combination and found it lacking almost all around with the exception of the concept, and modified a BFG VCAS to work similarly with better material and hardware for my needs. You can follow that journey here.

I am taking Kyle Lamb's Carbine 1.5 in May, and just won one of his slings in a Pat Rogers class for being high shooter, and intend to use that sling in that class as I think it's the best possible way to hear the pros and cons.

I tend towards an attachment as close as possible to the barrel nut in front, and castle nut in the rear, but have used a rear-most attachment point on the ejection-port side of the stock in the past with good effect. I find the former gives me a bit more mobility while the latter gives me a bit more stability. When using a full rail system I generally use a QD sling swivel attachment at the front. I was using the Midwest Industries MCTAR-08HD but now I often use the Gear Sector. At the rear I used to use the Daniel Defense but now use the Noveske product for replacing the receiver endplate. I do not like receiver endplates with fixed loops AT ALL and strongly recommend against them.
    Last edited by rob_s; 12-31-10 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    On AR#1 - 16" mid w/ 12" Larue rail, UBR, and TR24 (pic, on top):
    BFG VCAS padded w/ pushbutton QDs. Front is in the built-in socket at the rear of the rail, and the rear is on the outboard rear socket of the UBR. It's a heavy setup, so the padded is nice. The configuration hangs well when standing around, and the outboard side rear attachment prevents the sling from catching on the stock when switching shoulders so I don't have to do the "up and over" maneuver that sometimes results in buttstroking myself in the chin. Having attachment at the butt vs. rear of the receiver makes the whole thing much more stable when slung, because you don't have the stock flopping around.

On AR#2 - 11.5 w/ CTR (pic on bottom) I am switching to the same setup (VCAS QD, minus the padding). Right now I have an MS2/ASAP plate, but don't care for the attachment, adjustment, or fit. To be honest, I really like the concept but after trying it just don't feel that the single point offers any real benefit for me, and since up until now I couldn't get ahold of a forward mount that was more than a cobbled together stop-gap solution, I never really got to use it in 2-point mode either. Of course, the RSAs shipped the week after I bought a VCAS for it, so maybe if they would have been available from the start to complete the system I would feel a little differently. Or maybe not.

Previously I had an older version of the Troy single-point sling as well but beyond the usual single-point issues (especially on a 16" w/ long rail setup) I hated that damned padded section. It was always rotated to the wrong spot. It looks like they've updated the design and attachment method so no comment on the current version.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 12-31-10 at 10:48.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I forgot about the single-points to some extent. I have used the Troy, Boonie Packer, and Wilderness. I *think* that I still prefer the Wilderness of the three due in no small part to it's simplicity. It is a loop that goes around your body to which the carbine attaches, and I've found it to be the simplest solution if that's what you're after and all that you're after. I attach it to the receiver endplate replacements listed above via a QD sling swivel and that's it. I have even run this sling on shotguns and FALs and while I think neither lend themselves to single-points if they must be used the Wilderness worked for me.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Padded VCAS sling on my BCM 14.5 Middy with UBR stock. I have the sling attached to the UBR and the rail with QD buttons. On the rail I am using a Gear Sector QD mount. I have the QD pushbutton attached to the UBR socket closest to the receiver. I like the sling length adjuster on the VCAS because it is easy to adjust and I don't have a tail flapping around. I like the way my weapon hangs with the sling. The padding is nice since my weapon is kinda heavy.

Previously I had a MS2 sling and hated it. Webbing was too narrow and cut into my neck and shoulders. Metal clasp made too much noise and attachement seemed flimsy. Weapon flopped around too much on the move when hanging. I also didn't like the way it hung when loose. Basically straight up and down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    At the rear I used to use the Daniel Defense but now use the Noveske product for replacing the receiver endplate. I do not like receiver endplates with fixed loops AT ALL and strongly recommend against them.
    Why? Care to elaborate?
    Last edited by jmart; 12-31-10 at 11:07.

Feedback Score
    I have used three point slings for years and I have used various brands but have loved all of them. Any simple three point sling will do. I have used them on rifle and shotgun. As a Police Officer the three point works well when you have to go hands on a subject. It keeps better control of the weapon then a single point. I have adapted various ways of transitioning from left to right side. However; on my personal rifle I recently built I tried out the VTAC sling and have really grown to like it. The ability to cinch the sling tight for a more stable shooting platform is something you can't do with a three point. It is also a little less complicated and you don't have the part of the sling that stays against the gun that can get in the way like on a three point. Mine is unpadded and my rifle is pretty heavy but it hasn't been an issue so I think i prefer the unpadded sling. This is the only two point ajustable sling I have experience with but I think it is a great concept.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    when using a rig, i use the EMDOM URS:
    http://www.militarymorons.com/weapon...lings.html#urs

when i want a sling, i use the EMDOM Gunslinger:
    http://militarymorons.com/weapons/ar...tml#gunslinger

i designed both of these, so they obviously meet my personal needs to a 'T'. the 'why' and how i use them are covered explained in the links above.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm military, my recreational shooting is additional training to me (well, I do it so much more often its really my primary training).

On my plate carrier I use a Blackhawk Single Point CQB sling, the one thats basically just a quick-release ring on a strip of cloth you secure to your molle. Does the job without getting in the way at all. I hate 2 and 3 point slings.

My range/no body armor sling is the Magpul MS2 with ASAP plate and I like it a lot. The ASAP plate is great, although if you have your stock fully collapsed the little ring cannot switch sides. The MS2 sling is a great design but I agree it needs a pad or something, and it rides up on my neck a lot.

I have not tried any of the other "go-to" slings like the Vickers or whatever else, I'm sure I would like them but I would rather spend the money on ammo and suck it up when the MS2 starts cutting my head off. Maybe one day I will win one or something

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast