Page 9 of 256 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Watches

Feedback Score
    I usually wear my Seiko Titanium, or my vintage Ball gold Trainmaster. Have a couple of Seiko Railroad watches, and a Gruen Titanium, but I prefer the Titanium . . . very, very light.
    Make your enemies by choice, not by chance - Alfred Bester

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uranus View Post
    I wear an Omega Seamaster with an automatic movement similar to those posted by Sam and Linea de Fuego. It might be a pre-Bond, since I think that it was assembled into a complete watch before the movie. (no Ack-Phft!)

It seems natural that folks intersted in the mechanical and/or aesthetic aspects of firearms would also be interested in other mechanical devices (financial considerations, notwithstanding).

Several years ago, Keith Brown, who is a firearms dealer and posts on 1911forum, told me that his brother owns a clock shop. Les Baer built and raced dragsters for decades. Rob is into cars, IIRC. When Tony Kanaly posted a photo of a pistol, it was often accompanied by a Rolex.

Or maybe it is idiosyncratic to 1911 owners.

Sam, BTW, one or both of your watches might not be keeping time!
    This is an interesting point that I had never thought of. I personally fit into these categories
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm thinking that for me the $1k price point would be about good enough to make me feel like I had something nice, but didn't get stupid shelling out for it.
    Rob,

I've had 2 Rolex's over the last 20 years. A Date Just, and Sub Mariner. They were good for the WOW factor, but didn't keep time nearly as well as my current piece which is a stainless Omega Sea Master that I've had for the last 8 years. I think you can still get them new at places like Costco and Sam's for around $1100.00, and I love mine.

My Omega is very well worn, and I NEVER take it off. Land, Sea or Air, it's always performed very well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Rob,

I've had 2 Rolex's over the last 20 years. A Date Just, and Sub Mariner. They were good for the WOW factor, but didn't keep time nearly as well as my current piece which is a stainless Omega Sea Master that I've had for the last 8 years. I think you can still get them new at places like Costco and Sam's for around $1100.00, and I love mine.

My Omega is very well worn, and I NEVER take it off. Land, Sea or Air, it's always performed very well.
    I likewise have had a Rolex Sub Mariner and Seamasters. I prefer the Omega, but the magmified Rolex crystal sure makes reading the date easier.
    "The war against this enemy is more than a military conflict. It is the decisive ideological struggle of the 21st century and the calling of our generation." George W. Bush

Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5POINT56 View Post
    I've worn a Rolex Submariner for years and love it. It's been everywhere from 150 ft under water to the top of Kilimanjaro.

I by no means baby the watch and it looks pretty much new.

Worth every nickel.
    I have the non-date model.

It survived several patrols aboard a submarine (an environment that killed many a G-Shock and even an Omega). It's also survived the last couple years working in an industrial environment. It has some scratches, but is still beautiful and the crystal is flawless. I wear it in a filthy dangerous industrial workplace, but it can be cleaned up and worn with a suit for a wedding reception. It is understated, elegant, and rugged no matter what the situation.

There are watches out there that have more panache among the well-heeled watch collecting crowd, but everyone knows Rolex.

I'll go farther and state that mine is worth every penny.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My watch

I received a Tudor Chronograph upon graduation from high school in 1984. I have worn it just about every day since. It's nice in that back then Tudor was still using Rolex cases and bands. Sucks when you have to get it worked on though. You end up paying Rolex prices for parts and labor on your Tudor. I tried to post a pic but it apparantly is too big. i'll see if I can find a smaller picture.
    Team Virginia Arms member
    USPSA Limited B and Production C shooter, IDPA SSP-SS

formerly known as TacticalShooter

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't seen one of these mentioned: Tissot T-Touch

It may not be the most beautiful or expensive watch, but I bought it whilst in Switzerland a couple months ago, so it means a lot to me. For those who don't know, once the watch is put into touch mode, you can just touch the face to select barometer, compass, thermometer, altimeter, alarm or chrono. The compass is the coolest, because it turns the hands into the dial of a compass.

Instructor: Sniper, Carbine, Handgun, Shotgun
    Armorer: Glock, Colt AR15/M16
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    I wear a 1977 vintage Rolex "Double Red" Sea-Dweller. Owned it since it was new.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalShooter View Post
    I received a Tudor Chronograph upon graduation from high school in 1984. I have worn it just about every day since. It's nice in that back then Tudor was still using Rolex cases and bands. Sucks when you have to get it worked on though. You end up paying Rolex prices for parts and labor on your Tudor. I tried to post a pic but it apparantly is too big. i'll see if I can find a smaller picture.
    Yes, I agree. My first "good watch" was a Tudor chrono. Funny how it's looked at by some as a "wanna-be Rolex" until you need a little something done, then it's status increases.
    Still, even though I'm more of an Omega nut, I've gotta say that Tudor has been one of the very best watches I've had.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The band on my Sea Master is worn out after6 years... around $500 for a new one, WOW.
    "The war against this enemy is more than a military conflict. It is the decisive ideological struggle of the 21st century and the calling of our generation." George W. Bush

Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Page 9 of 256 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast