Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicom Polytech Legend Underfolder....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Chicom Polytech Legend Underfolder....

I have got to stop swinging by the local shops.

I had absolutely no intention of buying another AK, but this one was sitting behind the counter, about to be put out on display when I asked to see it. The clerk asked what I wanted with that cheap Chinese piece of crap......I just smiled and handed the debit card over.

Turned out to be a Chinese Polytech Legend, which was the premier Chinese pre 1989 Import Ban that was available in the US. This carbine has been sitting somewhere for the past 21+ years just waiting for someone to appreciate it.

The Polytech Legend is a very, very close clone of the original Soviet AK-47, using a milled steel receiver rather than the later stamped steel receiver of the AKM. All of the features are basically the same as what you'd encounter on a Soviet AK-47 that was built in 1950. The major difference is that the barrel on the Polytechs is pressed into the receiver and then pinned, rather than threaded like the Soviets did. After the mid 1960's or so, the other European countries that were still building milled receiver AK-47's, like Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary, and East Germany, also started pressing and pinning the barrels, so it's still an "authentic" build.

The underfolding stock has quite a bit of drop to it, which is correct for the AKS-47. This gives you a "chin" weld of sorts, but it was supposed to follow the same drop that the milled AK-47 fixed stock has....it doesn't do that so well. What it did do well, and what it was designed to do, was to let you get in and out of your T-54/55, BRDM or BMP easily. It also worked fine for unassing your Fiat in downtown Beirut in 1982 or your SUV in Baghdad today.

Most later Chinese military AK's have an integral bayonet that folds under the barrel. The earliest AK's that the Chinese got from the Soviets, and the technical package that they received in 1956 did not have the folding spike bayonet. While the Chinese produced the Type 56's with spike bayonets for the People's Liberation Army, they also kept making the standard AK-47 and AKS-47 models without the integral bayonet for export, and called it the Model 22.

The Polytech Legends were basically semi auto Model 22 Export pattern AK's that were brought in to the US from 1988-1989. There aren't all that many out there.

Here are some pictures I took when I got it home.

Last edited by TOrrock; 10-06-10 at 06:30.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Whoa I'm green with envy, nice score! I HAVE GOT to start hitting the pawn shops in my area. I never go to them knowing that one day I will stumble upon something that I cannot leave behind.

It's amazing that more people don't stop and research what they have before they sell it off. Oh well, there loss is our gain. . .
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Very nice Templar.I had a polytech double underfolder, it was one of the sweetest shooting AKs I've ever owned. Like an idiot I sold it durring the Obama craziness last year for a pretty penny.

edit: Not to steal the show but found a pic since you referenced the folding bayonet versions in your post.
    Last edited by LJNoobicon; 10-05-10 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice!

I bet it has an awesome trigger too. One of the best AK triggers I've ever pulled was on a polytech legend. I wish American triggers could be that nice.

Mike

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's pretty damn cool. Looks mint from your pictures.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    nice find, templar! i'm OD green with envy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, nice score!

A friend of a friend has a Polytech Legend sitting in his safe that he says he never shoots. He hinted once that he was thinking about getting rid of it, but when he saw my eyes light up I think he tripled the asking price he had worked up in his head. Gotta work on my poker face.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    SCORE!!!!

Mine is a Norinoc not a Polytech. Man or man - if I could go back 20yrs, **** it, 25 years...world would be a better place.
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Nice! So I gotta ask... how much?
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nice find Templar, Is it wrong that I hate you for finding that? Who has that kind of luck?

Looks like it's in mint condition, any idea as to a round count that's been through it?
    WTB:
    SA M-7 Classic blonde stock sets
    Bulgy ((10))/((E)) steel mags
    Bulgy T3 takeoff stock sets
    30-caliber magazine clips?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast