Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ... rifle. Comments & criticisms welcome.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

... rifle. Comments & criticisms welcome.

*In the interest of no longer misleading anyone, thread title updated.*
    Well, not exactly a 30 caliber... So this is as close as I'm getting to a "battle rifle" until I can afford an SR-25EMC or the SCAR 17s gets a lot more time in civilian hands.

Specs:

Upper is a VLTØR VIS 3AK, rifle length.

Barrel is White Oak Armament 16" 6.8 SPC 1:11 twist SPC-II with mid-length gas and a VLTØR Low profile set screw gas block. I used this jig to dimple the barrel and this jig to drill for the taper pin install.

Muzzle device is a Smith Enterprises Vortex 6.8

Bolt is I.T.S. Super bolt from AR Performance using a BCM carrier. (Extra Bolt from W.O.A., cam pin, firing pin and fprp in the grip). Both bolts use BCM extractor spring upgrades.

BCM Mod4 Gunfighter charging handle.

Also using a KAC handstop & KAC railpanels I stippled myself. A few pieces of Magpul ladder on there too.

Gear Sector 3045 Sling socket & 3120 Scout mount slightly modified to clear the front sight using a Surefire M600C Scout.

Optics:
    BUIS are Knight's Armament Micro front and 200-600 Micro rear.

Main optic is a Trijicon ACOG TA31H-68 in a Larue Tactical right side lever mount. (I forgot the #)EDIT: LT622-SDO
    CQB optic is an Aimpoint T-1 Micro in a Larue Tactical LT-724 offset mount. T-1 battery cap was replaced with a KAC cap with extra battery storage.

Lower: Knight's Armament SR-15 IWS E3.

Did the setscrew/captive takedown pin spring mod, and used a HK 416 Battle Grip

Magpul UBR stock & an H buffer.

Scalloped right side ambi safety selector from KAC.

KNS pins with the right side slightly modified to fit the KAC lower. (*Yes, I know, but they're cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned.)

Sling is a Blue Force Gear Vickers padded model with built in qd's.

Mags from PRI.

ETA: Not pictured but the barrel has been dimpled by Marvin @ Nefarious Arms. UBR strikeplate too, just cause.

*Had the barrel dimpled & gunkoted, switched to a MIAD.

*Sorry for the cell pics.
    Last edited by kdcgrohl; 05-30-12 at 12:56. Reason: Updates.

Feedback Score
    Very nice I was been wanting to do something similar but with a 6.8 DD CHF barrel and Kac urxII rail.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 09-27-10 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Poor mans rifle? I lost count at $2000 with a nose bleed!

Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Looks like a fantastic setup! A quick mental calculation has me thinking you have in the neighborhood of 5K into this rifle. Maybe poor men earn more today than they used to!

I have no criticism to offer, but I do have a question about weight. Have you carried the rifle for several hours at a time, and what did you think of the weight? If you felt the rifle needed to be lighter, what would you change?

Also, what max range do you feel confident with using this setup?

Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    ...but I do have a question about weight. Have you carried the rifle for several hours at a time, and what did you think of the weight? If you felt the rifle needed to be lighter, what would you change?

Also, what max range do you feel confident with using this setup?..
    The VIS 3 is heavy. The barrel is heavy. Considering a barrel reprofile or dimpling from ADCO.

As for distance, not sure yet.

Feedback Score
    Ditch the vis 3 and use kac urx and get a DD 6.8 CHF barrel loose the BURDS will drop a little bit. Just saying

Yea the poors mans KAC sr25emc for me is going to be a HKG3 clone with a with a TA11 Acog if I am lucky.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 09-27-10 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hardly a poor man's rifle! Nice setup.

Have you shot it? Any issues with extraction? I'm asking primarily because I use the same ARP bolt in my 6.8 and have had issues with extraction when using the BCM extractor upgrade with the black insert (and no o-ring). Works perfectly fine with the standard extractor supplied with the bolt and better with the BCM spring and no insert or o-ring.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    gfelber: No issues with extraction with either bolt using Hornady & SSA.

Thomas M-4: Sounds more like a new build Seriously thinking about a barrel contour. And the BURDS ain't goin' anywhere, I really like that thing.

Feedback Score
    Poor mans rifle? I lost count at $2000 with a nose bleed!
    LOL I totally agree!
    blessed are the peacemakers...

Feedback Score
    Very nice rifle but uhhh... if you call that poor, I guess that would make all my builds dirt poor.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast