Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting an MVG to a VTAC Rail

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)

Question Fitting an MVG to a VTAC Rail

My plan is to mount a Magpul MVG directly to my 11' VTAC Extreme rail. This subject has been lightly touched on by rob_s in the following thread...
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46575&page=10
    I have already test fit the MVG and will definatly need to cut down the mounting screw as it makes contact with the barrel when fully installed. My problem is this, even though the MVG mounts up nice and tight to the tube but the "wings" stick out slightly and need to be curved upward. I will try and get some pictures up later tonight.

My question is what method do yall recommend for heating up the polymer of the MVG?

Heatgun, blowtorch, or boiling water?

-TS
    S/F,
    Daryl

"To know yet to think that one does not know is best;
    Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty."--Lao Tzu

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Two;

I think the blowtorch might just do the MVG in. I would think a heatgun would be just fine. Are you ditching your AFG?
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cylindros View Post
    Two;

I think the blowtorch might just do the MVG in. I would think a heatgun would be just fine. Are you ditching your AFG?
    Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. Just not sure if boiling water might be better to keep the integrity of the polymer (moist heat as compared to dry heat).

Yep getting rid of the AFG. I think the AFG is a great piece of ingenuity but I just never could get it to feel comfortable to me over extended shoots. It may have something to do with the fact that I have broken my left elbow and wrist a couple of times.

-TS
    S/F,
    Daryl

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoSqueeze View Post
    Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. Just not sure if boiling water might be better to keep the integrity of the polymer (moist heat as compared to dry heat).

Yep getting rid of the AFG. I think the AFG is a great piece of ingenuity but I just never could get it to feel comfortable to me over extended shoots. It may have something to do with the fact that I have broken my left elbow and wrist a couple of times.

-TS
    Cool, I keep going back and forth between the AFG and my FUG. I need some more rounds with the AFG to decide for sure, but as my work carbine has a surefire M900 VFG light, I keep gravitating back to the FUG just for familiarity sake.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Ok here is what I have done so far. I test fit the MVG to the rail and marked how much I would need to cut off the mounting screw. I cut the screw with a dremel and then dressed the screw with a hand file. It fits nice and snug with no movement side to side or front to back. I am still on the fence about whether or not I should even try to heat up and bend the "wings" up. What say you?...

-TS
    Last edited by TwoSqueeze; 08-04-10 at 20:35.
    S/F,
    Daryl

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    A pic from the front or rear might help expose the "gap" better but it looks great as is. I really don't see a gap worth worrying about as far as looks go, but how it feels on you hand during extended firing would be the real issue. As is I don't think you are going to have a problem, and honestly it looks like it was made to go that way to me.

Oh, by the way, the BC looks good and you probably won't even miss your triple tap.
    Last edited by Dos Cylindros; 08-04-10 at 22:22.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cylindros View Post
    A pic from the front or rear might help expose the "gap" better but it looks great as is. I really don't see a gap worth worrying about as far as looks go, but how it feels on you hand during extended firing would be the real issue. As is I don't think you are going to have a problem, and honestly it looks like it was made to go that way to me.
    Here is a better pic:

As far as comfort is concerned the gap is not a big deal. I am ore concerned with the side to side leverage that could be placed on the MVG possibly tearing it off the rail since the only thing giving it lateral support right now is the single screw.

-TS
    S/F,
    Daryl

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    TwoSqueeze,

I tried heating mine tonight with the heat gun that I use for shaping Kydex, and it was a no-go. I wrapped a towel soaked in cool water around the free float tube and the lower part of the grip to protect them, then I hit one wing with the heat gun on the high setting for about a minute. The edge of the wing had several very small bumps form up in the finish. At this point, I attempted to press the wing in to contour it to the shape of the tube. The wing flexed more easily than normal, but it immediately sprang back into place. The grip was hot enough that it burned my thumbs a little through the towel that I was using as a heat insulator. I think there is a good chance that I would ruin the grip if I got it hot enough to re-shape.

I think that the most viable solution may be to fill the top part of the tube with acraglass and re-shape the contour of the MVG with a dremel to match the free float tube (credit to shootist~ and rob_s for the initial idea of re-contouring the grip).

After checking through my sanding drums, I found one that is almost the same diameter as the tube. I think I am going to have to get some acraglas and try this out.
    Last edited by the_fallguy; 08-06-10 at 01:13.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoSqueeze View Post
    I am still on the fence about whether or not I should even try to heat up and bend the "wings" up. What say you?...
    I say you don't have a hair on your Aggie ass if you don't try. Might as well fire up a pot of tea.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mac View Post
    I say you don't have a hair on your Aggie ass if you don't try. Might as well fire up a pot of tea.
    Aw what the hell, I think that im going to go ahead and see what I can get acomplished with some boiling water this weekend.

-TS
    S/F,
    Daryl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast