Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT M4, To shoot, or not to shoot, that is the question...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IPSC_GUY View Post
    Ahhh good points. I doubt very much I would sell it needing the cash, maybe as trading materiel now that I think about it.
    Zero it, test it and yes, do keep a log esp if youre keeping it for this reason. You may want to give it a good cleaning as well.
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 06-21-10 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looks like you made a good build, but I would use it, instead of putting it in the safe. Whats the point of spending the money and having a rifle if you don't shoot it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by swsmailman View Post
    Looks like you made a good build, but I would use it, instead of putting it in the safe. Whats the point of spending the money and having a rifle if you don't shoot it?
    That is a really good question and I will try and explain here.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Hey, you're an IPSC guy, so you already know what to do - zero it, shoot it until you get bored with it, put it away, and build another rifle. Do you have too many?
    Ahhhhh true I really do need to "proof fire" it. I, in actuality only have two assembled AR-15s besides this LMT M-4. A Noveske lower with my Piston creation upper and another LMT MRP with a 6.8 barrel in it...

Now that being said I have 5 other sets of Noveske Lowers with uppers sitting on them ready to go and the parts to build all 5 of them into M4s. Yes I have become a parts Pack Rat. In addition I am working on an SPR upper and a 16 inch upper and once the SBR paper work gets done a 12.5 and a 10.3 upper, both piston driven.

My goal is to have two core Noveske Lowers ready to take what ever 5.56 upper I chose from "my system." I like the idea of a system. In addition to the 6.8 MRP. The four other parts kit M4s have become my rainy day stash. I have been buying the parts for them slowly and when good deals have come along.

This LMT M-4 was just kind of an experiment of can I do it really cheaply? Sounds silly and it doesn't really fit into my "plan" of what is useful. You see I don't want to be the guy with 75 guns just for the sake of having them. My AK collection is starting to lean me that direction. It already consists of 2 Galils, 2 Bulgarian based AKS 74s, A Krink Kit and a Galil SAR kit both awaiting From 4s so they can get built. My one want in addition to these is a Russian Tiger as well. At the moment all of the AKs are toys.

Ideally here is my philosophy of gun ownership. A prepared person NEEDS the following firearms. All HAVE to be good reliable weapons that you can depend upon. The following are the categories and what I have chosen for each.

1. A Pistol, - 1911 based defensive side arm.

2. A Semi Auto Rifle, - AR based carbine.

3. A Semi Auto Shotgun, - Saiga 12.

4. A Bolt Action Long Range, Accurate Rifle, - FN SPR.

5. A .22 caliber Rifle, - Rugger 10-22.

6. A .22 Caliber Pistol, - Smith & Wesson Model 41.

Numbers 5 and 6 can also be conversion uppers in order to dispense with another gun. The long and the short of it is that is what I think one "needs" and after that they are toys or variations. Don't get me wrong toys are fine but like I said I am trying NOT to collect guns just for the sake of having them.

So I am going to take everyone's very good advice and proof fire the LMT M-4, with a set number of rounds that I will log, then clean spotlessly and for the moment put away. A buddy of mine in the Army used to keep one Rock River M-4 built up at all times for trading materiel. Maybe that is what I will do with this thing.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

IPSC_GUY
    SIERRA II ALPHA

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Trade it for bullets.

It's better to wear them out than to let them sit and rust out -- otherwise why have them?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you're planning on not shooting it for the fear that a "used" rifle would have decreased value, I pose this question to you:

Would the loss in value be worth it to gain enjoyment from the item?
    "We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
    Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have found that selling used LMT parts (or even new pre owned LMT parts) on the aftermarket is difficult and for some reason it is hard to get what you think they might be worth compared to BCM or Noveske.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    I have found that selling used LMT parts (or even new pre owned LMT parts) on the aftermarket is difficult and for some reason it is hard to get what you think they might be worth compared to BCM or Noveske.
    I have had the same experience. There is a pretty good amount of depreciation with LMT. Then again, short of Colt, everything seems to depreciate to a greater extent.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Too much emphasis is placed on round count. It's useless without also recording shooting conditions and results.

Condition of the firearm is much more important. How does one know the seller kept an accurate count?

A weapon built and never shot to ensure function is a liability. If you sell it and it fails to be reliable, it can hurt your reputation. If you need it to save your life, the consequences of failure can be very grave indeed

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Shoot the hell out of it.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    I have had the same experience. There is a pretty good amount of depreciation with LMT. Then again, short of Colt, everything seems to depreciate to a greater extent.
    me too, I have a NIB LMT M4ish up for sale right now, and I'm already $75 under msrp with no offers. strange...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast